• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Story of a gastric band 19th november 2008

donzi84

Well hi all, when i was pre-op i loved reading people's stories and found them a good read and very inspirational so i thought i would do mine....
Originally my weight was never a problem when i was in my young teen's i was never fat it was only when i started my periods that the weight crept on and by the time i was 16 i was 16 stone, weight was never an issue to me through school as i could safely say i have been one of the lucky one's i was always popular and never got any bullying which i am so lucky for. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 which was an added factor to my weight as it is harder to loose it!! Anyway from being 17 i was sent to a dietician, me and my mum went for the appointment and no lie the dietician was around 27 stone i could not take her seriously for obvious reasons, i know this might seem a little unfair but i just sat there thinking "how can your advice me", so needless to say i left with no help.
I then went to the doctors again when i was around 20 and was given both kinds of slimming pills Xenical and another i cant remember the name, neither of these worked, but only because of one person...ME. The problem was it took my concious choice to take the tablet or not, so if i thought i fancied a curry etc that night i would not take the pill, i knew i needed somthing that was out of my hands....and something that would over-ride my choice...
I had tried various diet's , well nearly all of them.. nothing ever worked, i will not just sit here and say it was the diet as it was me also. I just needed that extra push. My husband is not big, infact he is quite a gym freak and i found that he was always so supportive with me, he never commented on my weight and suppoted me if i did diet. I think it is awful for partners as they cant say right for wrong!!
I am 24 nearly 25, with PCOS i knew that i would have a difficulty to conceive, so me and my husband decided to try for children, quite young really!! but nearly 5 years on and still no luck... i was in a catch 22 they would not do IVF on the nhs as i was too overweiught, but i couldn't loose my weight....
We got married on the 19th august 2007 and both of my best freinds who were bridesmaids fell pregnant, this really hurt me in a selfish way i know!! i knew i had to do something about my weight now to have children.But now i have 3 lovely god-children and a solution to my weight.The problem was i would be so upset and depressed i would want to stay in and eat and therefore put more weight on...
I went to my G.p, nothing about fertility or weight-loss and he asked me what i thought of weight loss surgery i said i had looked into it and would be interested, and with that he said he would refer me, Anyway from there everything went downhill and i knew it would be a long and emotional ride... i went to see the dietician and she was awful (my experience with dieticians has not been good) she sat there there whole time telling me what a good candidate for surgery i was, then wrote to my doctor saying i wasn't.. i knew it would be a long wait on the nhs and the doctor still agreed to get me a consultation with the surgeon (i'm glad i paid for the band privately as im still waiting for this appointment)Anyway to cut a long story short my parents told me they were willing to pay for me the op!! so i went ahead and booked with the wls group and had my op at the Thornbury Hospital Sheffield. This was a great hospital and the care and guidance i have received from coleen and wendy at the WLS group has been unbelievable. The op went well (didn't feel a thing!!) and i came around after really quick within an hour i was having a walk round, i do think it was my age. The pain after was quite bad and stomache very sore but now i am fine, a little discomfort where me port is but other than this im great. I still have a bit or restriction as my stomache will still be a little swollen, but i can honestly say i have never felt so determined and positive to do something in my life, i am not on the pureed stage yet still on liquids but finding it easy (for now) The one thing that hust and bruised me the most were the injections they sent me home with!! Besides all this i went for my staples removing (24 of them) quite shocked he did staples ,but apparently they make a cleaner scar (for when im in my bikini!!) lol anyway went on thurs for these removing and in the 2 and a half week inc my post op diet i had lost 16lbs (In Two and a Half week!!!) i was over the moon.... and all i can think is this is what's to follow... i know that im not going to loose this everytime but what a boost !!
I just wanted people to know that this is the best decision i have ever made and i would not turn back! i feel i have definately made the right choice with the band as my problems with eating were down to me and now at least i feel i am doing alot of the work and i am changing my life with the choices i make.
I would just like to say you really realise who your friends are at a time like this and you then realise how may comments you actually blocked out, people at work saying "oh have your not tried this diet" "alright big girl" etc you almost become ammune to these kind of comments and it becomes the norm!! well not any longer... i feel strong, more confident, happy and content in knowing i have made the biggest and best choice of a lifetime and i wish all the pre-bypassers and banders out there fighting on the NHS all the luck in the world!!
Anyway thanks for listening

Love

Fantastic writing Donzi, thank you for sharing.

Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on your new life. Everyone finds their way differently to wls so it is nice to have people with all kinds of journeys. I myself have PCOS as do others on here which was a comfort to me. I hope that a baby of my own is in my future as well.:)

Wishing you a speedy & healthy recovery and keep posting, will be interested how you get on!;)

Hiya Donzi thanks for sharing your story.
I had my band fitted at the Thornbury also but it was done on the NHS did you have Mr Ackroyd?
Good luck with the rest of your journey and hopefully it wont be too longer before you are gaining weight (short term)but only with the patter of tiny feet.
Take Care xx

Hiya Donzi thanks for sharing your story.
I had my band fitted at the Thornbury also but it was done on the NHS did you have Mr Ackroyd?
Good luck with the rest of your journey and hopefully it wont be too longer before you are gaining weight (short term)but only with the patter of tiny feet.
Take Care xx

yeah i had Mr Ackroyd thought he was fab, my scarss are great they are hardly noticeable and i only had it done 12 days ago how did you find him??

Yes I found him very nice! My scars too are hardly noticeable just little pink lines. I had mine in July and have lost just over 3 stones I am having my fourth fill next Monday so hopefully will get some restriction back again.
Have you booked your first fill yet?

well im a little upset as i had one booked for the 19th of december for just a little fill before christmas but they called me today and its too early at 4 week to have a fill so the next available date for me to have a fill is the 29th of january, im really upset at this as i do not trust myself without any restriction, i knew this time would be hard but not that hard, i have a chance at hopefully having it done on the 13th of january so i have my fingers crossed, how long do you have to wait between your fills?? i have been meaning to ask someone?? That is fab 3 stone bet you feel great... you should get a weight ticker so we can keep track!! xx

i am not really sure they said it would be too early as by then i will be on the 1st day of solids and they need to see how i go with that before they do the fill and the next available date is the 29th of jan!! not happy coz i really dont trust myself!! they usually do the fill at 6 weeks xx

i am not really sure they said it would be too early as by then i will be on the 1st day of solids and they need to see how i go with that before they do the fill and the next available date is the 29th of jan!! not happy coz i really dont trust myself!! they usually do the fill at 6 weeks xx

Dunno tis strange I started my solids on the Monday and had a fill on the Weds. Same with Cheryl, Lanclass and Gina. We all had our op the same week and had our fills the same week too. I had my fill when I had my xray 4 weeks in. Strange how they are all different!
Good luck anyways

Dee xx

Hi Donzi and thanks for sharing your story. Dee`s right I too had my first fill 4 weeks after op with my x ray. Never mind not too long to wait and I`m sure it`ll fly by xxx

Congratulations, I am on my 6 month weight management course before I get the band fitted and hope all goes wel. I have PCOS but am lucky I also have 3 gorgeous babies which is why I want to lose my weight to be healthy and happy for them.
Your babies will come, I have got pregnant each time when I have managed to lose a good amount of weight, amazing how our bodies work.
xx

Just wanted to say hi. I enjoyed reading your story and identified with a lot of it. I've also got fertility probs (PCOS) and been trying for 5 years. I was also turned down for IVF (NHS and private) due to my BMI being around 42. So I know how you feel.

I have my aftercare with WLS too. Wendy is just great and has helped me out of a really bad hole I had gotten into before I joined their scheme. I really trust her and if she says 4 weeks is too soon for you, then I would accept that. She does go slow & gentle but as a result her clients have fewer problems.

All the best - with the weight loss and the fertility!

Alice x

Hiya, excellent post! I am thinking of going with the WLS group for my surgery.

Back