• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band advice

Lea123321

Hi,
Im looking for some advice and hope this is the right place to post it?

I had a gastric band done in April this year at the spire group hospital, I have had an awful experience from the hospital and dont feel i can go to them for advice, as My surgeon was so negative about gastric bands and told me that i would only lose 3 stone if i was lucky ( i was 27 stone when i had it done ) He also told me there was a high chance it would slip and i should have a bypas done. I feel ashamed now to go back to him if it isnt working as he told me it wouldnt! i only feel i can go back when i have lost weight from the previous time i had been!
Anyway, I have no idea what capacity my band is, all i know is ive never had any restriction at all, apart from for one day after each fill, i had my first filll about 6 weeks after the op , they put in 5mls to the band, like i said i felt some restriction for about 1 day, but not much, then nothing, i could eat what i liked, so i went back for a second fill , they put in another 1mls , so im now at 6mls, again i had a little restriction for about 1 day then nothing , i can eat when i want, ive been finding it hard to take myself back for a 3rd fill as all i have going through my head was the consultant saying to me it wouldnt work! and now its not working.
Does anyone know how much the band should be filled to for it to be working, i read online someone had to have theirs at 10mls, should mine be working at 6mls? or is it ok to need it up to 7 or 8 mls or even higher.

None of the nurses at spire seemed to know anything about gastric bands and like i said my consultant isnt the best to ask for advice as he doesnt seem to likegastric bands, even to the point its making me paranoid he didnt do it right because he said it wouldnt work.

If theres never been any restriction and ive always been able to eat what i like, what are the chances i could make it slip? or are they low if there isnt actually any restriction, ive never had any reflux or sickness, or food coming back up from the band

The only thing i have had, which has happened about 3 times, but only since the 2nd fill is if im eating pastry i havent chewed it very well its felt as if its got stuck lower down and ive found it hard breathing as in i cant actually breath for about 30 seconds, someone pats me on the back and then its normal again.

Any advice i would really appriciate, thanks

Hello and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear you have been treated this way and no wonder you feel reluctant to go back to them.

First things first, I'm getting the impression you might not be eating right to say that you have no restriction, you mention pastry and eating what you want. You will need to stop this if you want the band to work and it can. You just need to make sure your following the rules.

Focus on protein first, then veg and fruit. Protein, such as a chicken breast WILL fill you up quickly and keep you full for longer.

I've added some links to eating tips threads which may help further but in the meantime, get back to basics, then if you still think you need a fill, go back. There are no 'rules' over when you'll feel the restriction, everyone is different. I lost most of my weight with my band with no fill.

Good luck but please do read through the threads, you can do this xx

https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/newbies-have-a-gander-at-this.147823/

https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/post-op-eating-tips.135438/

Hello and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear you have been treated this way and no wonder you feel reluctant to go back to them.

First things first, I'm getting the impression you might not be eating right to say that you have no restriction, you mention pastry and eating what you want. You will need to stop this if you want the band to work and it can. You just need to make sure your following the rules.

Focus on protein first, then veg and fruit. Protein, such as a chicken breast WILL fill you up quickly and keep you full for longer.

I've added some links to eating tips threads which may help further but in the meantime, get back to basics, then if you still think you need a fill, go back. There are no 'rules' over when you'll feel the restriction, everyone is different. I lost most of my weight with my band with no fill.

Good luck but please do read through the threads, you can do this xx

https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/newbies-have-a-gander-at-this.147823/

https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/post-op-eating-tips.135438/

hi, thanks for replying to me and your advice. I don't think I explained very well. I can eat what I like if I want. I've only had pastries 3 times to see if I could eat them as I was so fed up of eating the protein + veg + not not getting any restriction or feeling full, the food I'm supposed to eat + I do doesn't and never has given me any restriction or fullness. I have tried other foods out of curiosity to see if my band was actually doing anything ,which it doesn't, but they aren't the foods I eat everyday, I wad trying to say I could if I wanted to, that's why I'm asking what measurements of fills work for other ppl as mine at 6mls has been a complete waste of time + money + I wanted to know is it normal that I feel nothing at 6mls + I might have to go to 7 or 8 or higher. I was told all I would b able to eat is a side plate size of food, but that's not the case . I had a band because I wanted to feel restriction to help me, but I don't feel anything.
any one got advice on this?, thanks

No problem @Lea123321 and what you were told 'should' be the case, i.e. eating from a side plate.

As I said earlier, nothing is normal though because this is your journey.

Could you maybe post what a typical day of food is? I don't have my band anymore but I did have one for seven years and we have plenty of new and longer term banders who could maybe help.

No problem @Lea123321 and what you were told 'should' be the case, i.e. eating from a side plate.

As I said earlier, nothing is normal though because this is your journey.

Could you maybe post what a typical day of food is? I don't have my band anymore but I did have one for seven years and we have plenty of new and longer term banders who could maybe help.

Hi again, I eat protein, vegetables and fruit, i dont believe the food is a problemi follow the diet sheet the dietition gave me, ive lost 4 stone, the problem is trying to stick to the portion sizes the dietition told me when i have no restriction, it is so hard to keep it up when im starving all day long and im not getting any restriction or any feeling of being full. when you go for weeks and weeks and you have never felt full at least once or had the restriction to make you feel like you wouldnt want to eat its so hard.

The dietition told me i would only be able to eat a side plate sized meal because the band would restrict me, give me a pain, or the food would begin to come back, or i would feel sick, and i would feel full.it doesnt, if i chose to i could eat a lot more than that and still have no restriction or feeling full.
I get it that you have to eat the right foods and you have to really try with the band for it to pay off, ive read about people not being able to eat bread or pasta or foods that would be hard to go down, i can eat them if i wanted, i also understand that everyone is different, they will react different to different foods, they will need more in their band than others for it to work, but at the end of the day surely you expect to feel something from the band, feeling full, or some restriction, if not whats the point of having it!
I read the literature you gave, thanks, it says on there that most people need it at 6-9mls, it also says that it can take a long time to reach your restriction point and once youve reached it then you should feel restriction and its at this point you should lose most your weight as before you reach the restriction point, its just will power keeping you going and lots of people dont think its working as it can take a long time to get there. I will just have to try and keep the faith and try to go back for another fill as mines at 6mls, so if the average need 6-9 ive still got some room to play with.

I am interested in hearing about the fills other people had/have and what number mls they needed to reach there restriction point and how it felt inside when they were experiencing restriction, if anyone has any information on that, it would be great. Thanks for any help or info

Tbh you need to discuss this with ur provider or surgeon!!! I know you aint keen but f*** them - u have paid for this - bands have been proven to work - he operated, he could have refused soooo he needs to give you advice (telling u it aint guna work, isnt good enough) ..if he felt that strongly he would stop doing the op completely!!

You still have room in ur band so go back and get more..maybe u have a leak? But they need to investigate it for you!!

I have heard people not getting restriction but there is usually a reason behind it...ur saying the food choices r correct so maybe another fill is needed? - if not complain or ask for a dif nurse (who actually knows what they are talking about) to review you.

Soz i know this aint much help but you sounds annoyed so start putting the pressure on them and get some answers.

Like u say - its alot of money and it needs to work for you!!

Xxxx

Tbh you need to discuss this with ur provider or surgeon!!! I know you aint keen but f*** them - u have paid for this - bands have been proven to work - he operated, he could have refused soooo he needs to give you advice (telling u it aint guna work, isnt good enough) ..if he felt that strongly he would stop doing the op completely!!

You still have room in ur band so go back and get more..maybe u have a leak? But they need to investigate it for you!!

I have heard people not getting restriction but there is usually a reason behind it...ur saying the food choices r correct so maybe another fill is needed? - if not complain or ask for a dif nurse (who actually knows what they are talking about) to review you.

Soz i know this aint much help but you sounds annoyed so start putting the pressure on them and get some answers.

Like u say - its alot of money and it needs to work for you!!

Xxxx

Hi Nickynoo

Thanks for replying to my post.

I know your right and i am going to go back to my consultant , wi ll organise another fill to take it up to 7mls and if theres still no restriction then i need someone to look into it.
Like you said i have read about bands working for lots of people, i also read about it not working for some but that would usually be because the band didnt take, it slipped, the patient reacted to it or it was because the patient didnt follow the rules of the band properly. at the very least if you have something around the top of your stomach and it keeps getting tighter with fills at some point you would think you would feelsome kind of restriction or feel the food coming back up! and if it doesnt like you said there will be some reason why , like a band leak.......

I dont know anyone who has been positive to me about having a gastric band, my parents told me i was wasting my money and it wouldnt work, i have friends who said it wouldnt work, the consultant then basically said gastric bands are crap and 1 in 3 bands fail, as a person who has struggled with my weight for over 20 years and being surrounded by so much negativity, its hard to stay positive if its not doing what its supposed to do.

I am interested in hearing peoples stories about bands, such as if you feel restrictions what does it feel like for you? is it that you just feel full, or does it get uncomfortable?does it feel like foods pushing back up? Also from other banders what mls of fill do they have in their bands for them to the restriction, i know everyone is different but it would be good to hear whats working for other banders out there

Im not sure if i can request another consultant? although i went through the spire group, didnt i pay to go with that consultant, which then ties me to them?

thanks for your help and support.x

Restriction for me was a tightening sensation in my stomach, which was my sign to not eat anymore. If I did, it would potentially mean that extra bit came back up - not nice. You do quickly realise how much you are going to manage and adjust your portions accordingly.

I think I had up to 8mls in my 9ml band but that was a gradual process, starting with 5mls at my first fill. Each one seemed to last a good few months before I was ready for some more.

Yeh i get what u mean - loads of people r negative about them but i am 100% happy i had it and havent got any restriction - knowing something inside ov me makes me want to change my diet and portion size.

My surgeon also said around 30-40% have issues but 98% of them are fixable and its likely to be covered in ur insurance - hense y its worth raising it now instead of later.

There are lots of banders on here so I am sure someone will be here to answer ur questions soon.

@Oopseydaisy maybe able to help as she has helped me with some of my questions xxxxx

Keep us updated on how u get on and hopefully another fill will help xxxx

>>
Hi, don't despair, its early days and once you have restriction its happy days :D

Ive had 7 fills altogether, up to 7.15 in a 10ml band, 1 defill ( because I found I was eating sliders ) then another .02 fill to maintain
Its all about finding the sweet spot, over restriction is bad, I have perfect restriction now, follow the rules and you will be fine

The difference in restriction can be as little as 0.01, after your fill sip a glass of water before you leave, it should go down comfortably, little amounts are what I was recommended, and I followed it to the latter :p

Don't rush it, ask your team for help, thats what they are there for

Any problems just holla, there is always someone on here that will help :) x x x

Hi All. thanks for all your replies and help. and sorry for the delay in replying, i wanted to wait until i had my band fill and some news. I went back this wednesday gone and asked a lot of questions, i thought i had 6mls in my band but when i asked i was told i only had 5 mls, when i was there he put another 1 ml in, so i now have 6mls, he told me most people get restriction between 6-7mls, he also told me that my band has a capacity of 9mls

its now sunday , i havent had any restrion as in food building up or any tightening senstation, i could eat more than a side plate sized meal if i wanted. Also yesterday evening i ate a thick yaughurt and after 2 small spoon fulls it felt as if it got stuck where the band is and the pain was so bad, i even felt it hard to breath, this is all i had had to eat, i had to be sick to get it back up . why did this happen with a thick yaughurt, which is soft and should slide? yet nothing happens at all when i eat tougher proper food, also why did it cause me so much pain and problems breathing and not cause me a tightening feeling and the sensation of moving back up?
any views on this
thanks

Hi @Lea123321 you probably swallowed it too quickly, where as with more substantial food you are making more effort to take things slowly? It certainly sounds like that could be the case anyway.

How much are you managing now, is it less than before? x

Hi @Lea123321 you probably swallowed it too quickly, where as with more substantial food you are making more effort to take things slowly? It certainly sounds like that could be the case anyway.

How much are you managing now, is it less than before? x

hi mazza,
thanks for the reply, it just freaked me out that something that soft would get stuck! I still have no restriction at all, I presume I could eat as much as I want. There's no tightening, no sensation of the pouch filling or backing up, no feeling of being full at all . The only thing that's happened is ive had more episodes of food getting stuck in the hole since the fill, I mustn't of been chewing my food enough, still waiting for restriction, suppose it will be another fill when I'm allowed

Hey hun, hope ur ok? Do you know when ur next fill will be?

It is hard when u dont have restriction and spose u gota think like ur on a diet until the band is working like it should.

I still have to think about what I am consuming as it is far to easy to have more calories than u shud. At the moment due to stress at work, each weekend i am drinking a bottle of wine and i know thats impacting me.

Sooo..guna start today afresh and really get my head in the game. If i think back to what i was like before op, it has totally changed - i dnt get as hungry and noway can i binge and eat a 12" pizza and sides to myself. I am still eatting off side plate and serving up what i think is enough. I could eat more but i wana lose weight, so i dont.

Do you mind me asking how much have u lost now? How about writing down what u have eatten, it may suprise u?

Nicky xx

Back