• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling 4 weeks after surgery

Hi folks
I was due to have a sleeve done on Wednesday 21/8/13 and after talking to my surgeon that morning we changed to a bypass.
The op was fine but I had to go back to surgery Friday 23/8/13 as they were worried I may of had a leak. Had a nightmare stay in hospital with drains, catheter and uncontrollable diarrhoea. finally let home Tuesday 27/8/13. Only to be readmitted Thursday 29/8/13 as diarrhoea was worsening the next three days were spent on a drip and finally home again 1/9/13.

I am now almost 4 weeks out and still struggle to eat. I am having 1/2 mashed potato with tuna or mushy food it is breakfast I am having problems with as 1 Weetabix goes in ok but I feel awful afterwards. Is 1 Weetabix too much.
I am not loosing weight since coming out of hospital am I eating enough.

have you tried reducing the amount? maybe try half a weetabix to see if you have the same feelings and reactions? Or could you try something different such as porridge or ready brek to see if it is the weetabix more so than the amount?

Thank you I really didn't think of 1/2 a Weetabix and I think I will try the ready brek tomorrow. Breakfast seems the worst meal of the day for me am I the only person like this. I do take the lansoprazole at least 1 hour before food.

I have a band but I cannot eat breakfast until later now about 10am and I also cannot have weetabix or Shreddies. When I am on mushy food I have porridge made quite watery x

Don't forget those drip bags are 1000cal a pop! So tht might have an effect.

Are you able to follow the post op diet? Perhaps you should go back to liquid stage for a few days and see how that works :)

Good luck!

You seem to have gone onto solid food quickly after your bypass especially after your problems . After my bypass I had to be on mushy food the consistency of apple sauce for at least 4 weeks. I was onllf a weetabix with plenty of milk. All food was liquidated. For the next 2 weeks my food had to be mashed with a fork and only then could I go onto ordinary food. I wad told to have Small meals but often till on solid food it got a bit sickening sloppy food but it gives your stomach time to heal. As for breakfast weetabix oatibix ready break fruit smoothie liquidated fruit with yogurt or egg custard made with sweetener were all good for me. I hope you start to feel better soon. I also found that my weight didn't start to move for a few weeks so just keep going and you will see the results soon

Back