• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Support Groups

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Yep its me again

I read about support groups in various areas but don't have anything locally to me. I had my op in Chichester where there is one but its 3.5hrs away so not feasible.

Anyhow what I wanted to ask is what format do they take? I wondered if we could provide that type of support on here i.e. bring back intersting talks etc. Also wondered whether I could get something going locally in Northants, not related to a hospital provider as both the providers for Northants are some distance away at Luton or Birmingham, both an hour minimum to travel. Just got to keep spreading the word.

Any help appreciated

M

tesmaralda

We are just in the early stage of setting up a support group so will let you know how we find it and what works and what doesn't.

candie

fabby not flabby :)
Me and Liz went to the one at Macclesfield cos that's where we had our ops, and to be frank it was a complete shambles:rolleyes:At the mo i'm happy with support from the other post oppers on here, and at the meets:D:D

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Just seem sue posting re possibility of one in Northants so looks like one locally might be happening, great news

M

shazbrad

:( don't have one in my area at the moment but St Georges have said they are going to start one so am waiting to hear when that will happen :sigh: if it will happen that is :mad:. I would just like to be able to meet people who had their op at same hospital and hear their experiences and hopefully get advice and ideas from them to help me in my journey :)

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
I think for me it would be to meet people in the same situation locally. Also to hear information from those who were further out and professionals in the bariatric field who could provide information on pre/post op life as a bariatric patient, what should you do if you have a complication, what are those likely to be etc. Perhaps even those who could provide psychological input to help as you deal with the new you e.g relationships, family dealing with the changes to you. Even perhaps a beautician/fashion person might be useful to ask to give a make-over talk help increase your confidence disguise loose skin. Still mulling it over.

M

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
salford royal have their own which is patient led.
what do people expect to get from a support group?

our support group is patient led we have done 4 groups now, we want it to be a friendly laid back patient led place where we can meet up once a month and catch up with each others progress and discuss how things has been in that month for us as individuals, a support group should be a freindly welcoming place, with the in put from the poeple that attend, requests for guest speakers as well from time to time such as surgeons or dieticians maybe good, clothing swaps maybe popular a well.

Silversurfer

I've read a study done against long term paitent success for both banding and bypass and statistically those that attend a support group do significantly better longer term - therefore they are a good thing

candie

fabby not flabby :)
whoops wrong thread:eek: