• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Where are all the wls support groups??

Val

Committed Weight Loser
Im sooooooooooooooooooooooo hungry.....:cry:

Today I have been really focused but I notice as the days go by I am more and more hungry..
I think I could eat most things but my determination keeps me on track and focused..
I just wish the 12th Nov. would come around for my first fill...

I think it seems like you are given this wonderful tool to help you, but the aftercare could do with a bit more commitment from the providers, I feel they just expect you to go away and do well, If we could all do this then we would not need surgery??
I had asked about a support group for WLS patients and THG told me they don't have one??????

I think a group or a support meeting would have been very helpful especially in the early days..if it wasn't for the help I have received here..I would feel terribly alone:wave_cry:

I think we should have support groups in areas..anyone know of an active one in West Mids???

a lot of people say they don't feel supported by their provider in terms of aftercare, I don't feel that with mine, we have an active message board and group interaction with other patients and as a group arrange regular meet ups.

When I looked at our local hospital off surgery (private) they did have their own support groups and meetings, but i think when you get these bigger companies who deal with customers all over the country it becomes a lot more difficult.

I felt exactly as you did ahead of my first fill and before many of the others in terms of hunger, having someone to talk to in real life, a text buddy, email buddy can also help :) am always around if you want to chat of some extra support, as apart from my aunt and son no-one knows about my band so I totally understand and hear you on the support!

Perhaps we could arrange an area get together? The group from my own provider have done scheduled for nov, and jan, find a central point, a venue got some lunch, and away you go :)

:)

a lot of people say they don't feel supported by their provider in terms of aftercare, I don't feel that with mine, we have an active message board and group interaction with other patients and as a group arrange regular meet ups.

When I looked at our local hospital off surgery (private) they did have their own support groups and meetings, but i think when you get these bigger companies who deal with customers all over the country it becomes a lot more difficult.

I felt exactly as you did ahead of my first fill and before many of the others in terms of hunger, having someone to talk to in real life, a text buddy, email buddy can also help :) am always around if you want to chat of some extra support, as apart from my aunt and son no-one knows about my band so I totally understand and hear you on the support!

Perhaps we could arrange an area get together? The group from my own provider have done scheduled for nov, and jan, find a central point, a venue got some lunch, and away you go :)

:)

Hi TK
It would be lovely to meet up..I would love for there to be a support group in my area but I am willing to travel to go to a group of fellow WLS people..and Thank you so much for offering support as always you are most kind:)

I started today on normal food, so to speak, But I feel sort of lost, a bit out of control now I can choose more, strange isn't it, I found it much easier when being told what I could and could not eat..now I have to take control myself:confused:

So I am going to follow the rule of Protein first then Veg and lastly Carbs, is that correct??

yes that's correct :) looking at a side plate with 3-6 tablespoons max portion size. Dry and crunchy foods. Avoid sauces, but lots of protein. I don't know if you're intending to personally limit carbs within the diet? If so, don't even put them onto the plate.

It's a big step going out into normal foods. Even harder when restriction is limited because the portion sizes don't meet the hunger, but eat slowly, pause between mouthfuls to give the brain time to register it's not hungry. Eat until the hunger has gone but not until you feel full. Lots of water too.

Plan foods and meals and have things ready in case you really need to "snack" so chunks of chicken. Slices if ham, corned beef etc. tins tuna, prawns all good to have to hand if you're able to eat them :)

yes that's correct :) looking at a side plate with 3-6 tablespoons max portion size. Dry and crunchy foods. Avoid sauces, but lots of protein. I don't know if you're intending to personally limit carbs within the diet? If so, don't even put them onto the plate.

It's a big step going out into normal foods. Even harder when restriction is limited because the portion sizes don't meet the hunger, but eat slowly, pause between mouthfuls to give the brain time to register it's not hungry. Eat until the hunger has gone but not until you feel full. Lots of water too.

Plan foods and meals and have things ready in case you really need to "snack" so chunks of chicken. Slices if ham, corned beef etc. tins tuna, prawns all good to have to hand if you're able to eat them :)

Thank you TK
Ok its all change, sauce and sloppy out of the window onto crunchy now :)

Planning ahead is key. I had my whole day planned out with my protein first then band friendly foods, then if I had any calories spare they were for my guilt free treats if I felt the need :D

Thank you TK
Ok its all change, sauce and sloppy out of the window onto crunchy now :)

Yes, just as you get used to one, then it changes, then you have a fill and you start all over again lol.

I'm finding it strange being milk and water for a week, having not eaten hardly for the past four weeks it's hard being back to such a basic and bland liquid only and for so long.

Good Luck TK
xxxx

a big meet would be awesome! x x

Yes we should make it happen...wonder how we could go about it

I suppose suggest a date and a place somewhere in the middle where we could meet up..Im open to it
we should make a list of interested people ?

Hi Minn

There are support groups in the west mids. If you look under the support groups section you will see a list of threads.

Members have also previously arranged meet ups and to be honest had a pretty mixed attendance (well attended or no one turns up).

If you were thinking of arranging one please remember not to share personal details such as email addys, home addresses and phone numbers on the open forum.

Yes looking at the support groups they are not that well supported..I wonder why..maybe its much easier to be online :)

Back