• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery Cancelled Due to Not Losing Weight

It depends on your hospital or your surgeon. I was never given a pre-op diet or told to lose weight before my op, yet others are told to.
As for the not losing weight aspect...again the reason people are put on pre-op diets are to shrink their livers well the fat around them lol (usually!!) and that doesnt mean you have to lose weight...?
sal x

I was at Sunderland and i had my pre-op assesment five days before my operation , by this time i had lost 10lb but between that appointment and my admission date i hadnt lost anything more , i was quizzed about this but by the registrar but i assured him i had stuck to it and all was fine.

I know three people who were put under anesthetic and woke up finding the op not done.

I really don't understand how a person can't loose weight on the post op diet it is the basic your body can manage before going into starvation mode.

The basics of the body are calories in v's calories out it is THAT simple. Who are we realistically trying to kid we have all binge eaten and lied at some point for me it has been many points but I refuse to do it for myself of anyone else any longer.

These surgeons deserve our respect and by lying and taking the Micky by not loosing weight on the pre op I think as a surgeon I would tell people who have "cheated" on the pod that I would not operate either. Just because we are unable to stick to a simple diet for 2 weeks why should we make this work harder on our surgeons and take up valuable theatre time which could be used for someone who is prepared to put in the hard work.

I don't want to sound mean but we all need to take a reality check we did this to ourselves and in effect these surgeons are saving our lives - good luck to all of you who treating this gift with the respect it was given x.

I was told that as I put on between appointments pre-op I obviously hdn't shown committment and go away and not put on and try to lose. I'd been hit with arthritis such that I could hardly move but even the lack of exercise wasn't accepted.

When I was sent to a different surgeon - cos I'd waited too long - he told me categorically NOT to have a "last" supper the night before admission cos it was possible to undo the work of the liver reduction diet in one meal.

It was my worst fear to wake up and nothing be done cos my liver was too large.

The dietician at the support meetings says its unfeasible not to lose weight on the liver reduction diet because the glycogen and fat stored in the liver are converted to glucose and water by the low calorie diet and so HAVE to be wee'd out.

I stuck to it religiously - both times so my conscience was clear - if anything went wrong and I had no op!!

Good luck all pre-oppers

xxxxxx

I'm gonna refrain from commenting..... Ah stuff it, i'll comment....

The pre op diet is not for weight loss, it's to shrink the liver so the operation is safer.

However, if your on a pre op diet and you don't stick to it to such an extent you go back heavier than when you started why should you get the op? There are plenty of people out there who will stick to it and are fighting for their surgery... wls is about commitment, especially when it gets tough! xx

I really don't understand how a person can't loose weight on the post op diet it is the basic your body can manage before going into starvation mode.

The basics of the body are calories in v's calories out it is THAT simple. Who are we realistically trying to kid we have all binge eaten and lied at some point for me it has been many points but I refuse to do it for myself of anyone else any longer.

These surgeons deserve our respect and by lying and taking the Micky by not loosing weight on the pre op I think as a surgeon I would tell people who have "cheated" on the pod that I would not operate either. Just because we are unable to stick to a simple diet for 2 weeks why should we make this work harder on our surgeons and take up valuable theatre time which could be used for someone who is prepared to put in the hard work.

I don't want to sound mean but we all need to take a reality check we did this to ourselves and in effect these surgeons are saving our lives - good luck to all of you who treating this gift with the respect it was given x.

But what I'm trying to say, and the point I'm making, is that the pre-op diet is not about losing weight so people shouldn't worry about what the scales say.

Some PCT's state 'You must lose weight' which shows commitment before even the pre-op diet begins. Once you've got to the pre-op diet stage, after this, weight is not the issue. Shrinking your liver is.

People shouldn't worry about the scales until after their first post operation check. Perhaps even longer. Your clothes will tell you you're losing weight. I didn't weigh myself at all until after 7 months. For one, there were no scales that I could buy that would weigh me.

I agree Julie, we all know how hard it is, it really is one of the hardest things Ive ever done! But it shows commitment to getting your surgery. I would never knock anyone for having a small slip and picking at something but to cheat the pre-op that much that you put weight on or dont shrink your liver enough for safety then I agree you shouldnt get the surgery. Sorry if this offends anyone! XX

I stuck to the liver diet and lost ten pounds but the last five days I stayed the same , they quizzed me and I understood why , everyones different some people won't loose as much as others , I had lost two stone by then , they only wanted me to loose 8lb x

yes! the pre op diet is not about loosing weight its about liver reduction - but you still have to worry about what the scales say because if the scales say you havent lost anything (even tho you have stuck to the diet like mixxy said is possable) then your surgeon is still likely to turn you away because he will think you havent stuck to the diet when you have

Back