• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Swallowing after RNY

kathleen1960

After reading about poor Mandy's predicament, i started to wonder..... How does it feel when you swallow after a RNY, is it very different to before? ... I am curious now .....

i didn't find it different as such, i was worried when they first gave me a drink but after i had taken a couple of sips i was ok and then just took it from there, hope that helps hun, i think you just got to take your time and not try to do too much too soon.
Sharon

Hi there, I wouldnt worry you will be fine as after your op and after youve been on liquid food for a few weeks you will be glad to start to eat solid food again trust me!! Mandy has had a few problems I agree but to be fair I havnt seen any other person on here with the same problems as poor mand has had god bless her. As you will see on this forum in times " everyone is unique" and should never compare to others. So dont you worry and a very big hug for your future weight loss surgery:553::grouphugg: Gail xx

I had no problems at all. My throat was a little sore for a couple of days but they had me sipping water within a few hours.

I'm the same, I can drink absolutely fine but I can't gulp as my tummy fills up quickly and I have to wait for it to drain!!!

no problems at this end of any description - was sipping water fairly quickly after the op and then went from strength to strength. The sensation of swallowing is no different post op to pre op. Mandy is the exception rather than the rule.

Well i am still pre op but i have had 2 operations where tubes were put down my throat, yes it was soar after but that went after a few days, and i was able to drink within a few hrs post op but just sipping slowly.
I can understand how u must feel now with ur surgery just 2 weeks away and after reading the probs Mandy has had but i 2 agree with others that Mandy`s probs were a very rare exception.
Take care xx

Im with caroline no problems whatsoever with me, no change with swallowing from pre-op to post-op, please try and embrace your surgery it's changed my life xxx

thank you everyone :) I did not mind if swallowing would be different, I just wanted to know what to expect... only ... 14 days to go .....bring it on !!! xxx

Just to confirm what everyone else has said, swallowing feels no different post op to pre op. The quantity you can drink or eat in one go is obviously much less than pre op, but as long as you pace yourself you will be absolutely fine.

No probs here either, it didn't feel different as some have said liquids and puree stage just slide down, Its when you get to solid food that the mind starts to say "can i swallow this" AND I have been very fortunate in that i can swallow everything i have tried inc meat xx

Back