• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thai lemongrass,chicken and mushroom broth

VeronicaT

Gonna be thinner girl
Thai lemongrass,chicken and mushroom broth.

I bought Ainsley Harriet's low fat meals in minutes, and can highly recommend it. It is reduced to 6.99 at amazon and has some great recipes in it. It also has pages about fat, that inform you about fat content in basic foods, that is really useful, as well as keeping your food interesting with LF dressings etc. As I said highly recommended.
I tried this Thai dish tonight. Gosh it was good and very easy and quick. Even Husband loved it. Nice to eat if you can have some solids but taste is great so would be good to blend as well.

Thai lemon grass, chicken and mushroom broth

Nutrition notes per serving:
*: calories 203
*: protein 37 9
*: carbohydrate 9 9
*: fat 2 9
*: saturated fat 1 9
*: fibre 1 9
*: added sugar 5 9
*: salt 2.57 9

With many of the ingredients used in Thai cooking now readily available in the UK, authentic Thai soups are easy to achieve. My recipe is made with lean chicken, but you could also try making it with prawns, diced or minced pork or, for an extra-low-fat version, extra vegetables.

Prep: 10 mins
Cooking: 15 mins
Serves 2

1 lemon grass stalk
600 ml (1 pint) hot chicken stock
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
1-2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (see below)
1 shallot, finely chopped
100 g (4 oz) shiitake mushrooms, sliced, or canned straw mushrooms, halved
2 teaspoons light muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
(nam pia)
juice of 1 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
To serve
1 salad onion, thinly sliced 1 red chilli, thinly sliced handful of fresh coriander

Method
1. Flatten the lemon grass stalk with a rolling pin or meat mallet and place in a pan with the stock, chicken, curry paste and shallot; bring to the boil. Add the mushrooms to the pan and simmer gently for
8-10 minutes.
2. Stir the sugar and fish sauce into the soup and simmer for 3 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Squeeze in the lemon juice and season to taste.
3. Ladle the soup into warmed serving bowls and scatter over the salad onion, chilli and coriander. Serve with an extra wedge of lemon, if liked.

MAKE YOUR OWN ... Ready-bought Thai curry pastes have a lot of oil in them to give them a longer shelf life. Here's my own low-fat version. Put 1 small roughly chopped red onion, 4 garlic cloves, a 5 cm (2 inch) piece peeled and roughly chopped fresh root ginger or galangal, 6 red Thai chillies (remove seeds for a milder flavour) and 1 lemon grass stalk (tough outer leaves removed and inner stalk roughly chopped) into a food processor and process to a coarse paste. Add
'h teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon coriander seeds and the juice and finely grated rind of 1 lime and puree until smooth. Keep in a screw-topped jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. xxxxxx

Last edited:

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Now that does sond nice, thanks for sharing. Im going to try that with prawns (I dont eat meat) x

POPPET

Sunny Horizons
:)Defo gonna make this-yum,yum!

Rebirth

Thanks for sharing this Vron. Does all his recipes give a breakdown of the nutritional contents? I never know how much protein etc is in something. If they do I'll be placing an order.

Rebirth

VeronicaT

Gonna be thinner girl
Hi Rebirth
Yes they do - on every recipe. Some are low fat and others are very low fat. They all have a breakdown of nutritional contents, sugars, proteins carbs as well as fat - that's one reason i like it.

yorkshirelass74

oooooooooo sounds delish, when i was on soups, i like the morrisons thai chicken, and also the tesco finest, i still have them from time to time, they are loverleee
xxxx