• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Future??

lisa x

is very happy!
Hi everyone.:wave_cry:

I haven't seen anyone from my bariatric team yet,so I cant ask this question until I see them.I just thought maybe some of you lovely people could tell me what you have been told.;)

I have spent a lot of time researching WLS as you guys know.

But I have spent a lot of time researching diabetes the Bypass operation and the Year following the operation (regarding diet And the maintenance.)

OK so I have a nice warm fuzzy picture of a healthier fitter me!!!!
Then I get the face slap, and this is what I am having trouble researching....

After the honeymoon of weight loss.What happens...???

It seems there isn't that much information out there..:sigh:

I want to know what happens 5 or 10 years down the line...??

In theory from my understanding of what I have researched I believe i would still be able to use my smaller(but stretched) pouch to happily maintain.

Any information on this matter would be appreciated....

Maintaining is very different for each person. For some people, it is a case of constantly watching the rules, sticking to a healthy diet as you do when losing, and having the occasional treat. Some people struggle to reach their target, as they say its an average of 70% excess weight loss, so the next few years are spent dieting to shift the rest.

For others, like me, you are at the end of absorption scale, so i have chronic malabsorption and retain very little of what I eat. Consequently I have to eat a very high calorie/high fat diet in order to maintain my weight. As this is still the case 2 years out it is likely to be permanent.

Unfortunately i don't know anyone more than a couple of years out of surgery so cannot help. Will be an interesting thread i think xx

shelbel does that mean then you'll suffer or do with say high colesterol or bp?... as your diet is quiet high in fat? just wondered sweetpea xx

shelbel does that mean then you'll suffer or do with say high colesterol or bp?... as your diet is quiet high in fat? just wondered sweetpea xx

No, because most of the fat isn't absorbed, it just passes straight through (but not in an orlistat kind of way). My bp is generally on the low side anyway, so I also have a high salt diet to try and raise that! Basically, I eat junk, all day long. Topped off with chocolate (grazed so as not to dump).

omg Shell, you've turned into one of those people who can eat what they like and never get fat. I would really hate you if you weren't so lovely lol.

thanks shelbel.

I cant seem to find the answers i am looking for on here..!!i can find lots of american reserch but not much British...
It does seem there is a lot of info for the operation and 6 months after...then the info/research./statistics seems to dwindle a bit..(other than problems later on eg gallstones)

One of my questions is "what size can the small pouch stretch to after 5/10 years"...is it still usable as a tool to maintain the weight that has been lost? (sorry i cant think of how to phrase that question better :cool: )

Unfortunately i don't know anyone more than a couple of years out of surgery so cannot help. Will be an interesting thread i think xx
Thanks Julie....
I think it could be interesting...like you, most people I have spoken to are one/two years out ...
I would love to speak to someone who is ten years out,just to know if weight loss is still achievable...or has the pouch stretched bigger so gaining is easier.....
.I realise this is down to each persons individual eating pattern.... xx

Very interesting thread i don't know anyone either who is over two years post op. I also never knew Shell that the average was 70% excess weight loss so i've learned something already. Lets hope Lisa you manage to find information because it would be very interesting xx
As soon as i find it out i will let you guys know....
x x

Well two whole days of searching ...and not much found!!!!!!!!...
I have concluded that there is very little reserch done after 10 years...apart from the cottage cheese tests to determine pouch size.
I will just have to wait until I see someone in the bariatric team 8-(

I know from looking that some of the techniques for bariatric surgery are relatively new (late 80's and on) so maybe ther haven'y been long term studies? Also a lot of the sites talk about the surgery being there to help change habits so maybe after a couple of years you're settled in to a new pattern? I'm sure some of the long termers on here will be able to shed some light :)

Back