• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The right decision? I hope so, share your experiences please ....

Ems73

Well I have finally done it I'm in on the 3rd MArch 2011 for a gastric band. has any one got any top tips at all? anything you had wished you'd known? A golden piece of advice that somebody had told you. PLease share your excperinces with me good or bad, and get me up to speed. I hope I have made the right decision...

Congratulations on getting your date...im pre op so have no experience as yet. xxx

I would say be prepared to follow the guidelines given by your surgeon. After the recovery time liquid and slushie diet, you will need to eat healthy dense foods, protein first then fruit and veg and low GI carbs last.
Drink loads of water, Maybe even join weight watchers, slimming world or Rosemary Conley diet group to keep you on track.
It may be a while before you get a good restriction and til that happens it might not feel much different to how you do preop.
Just make sure you are clear and accept the fact that just having the band in is not enough.
You have to still do most of the work to get it to be a success.
The good news is that providing you eat the right sort of foods and change your lifestyle by adding exercise daily and keeping treat food to moderate amounts say once a week,...then it will be a lot easier to stick to and get results from than without a band.
Hope that helps a bit.
I have just skimmed over a lot of it, obviously there's much more to it than that but you can get to know us banders as we all have different hints and experiences with our individual band journeys x

Good luck to you hun.

One thing i would say is: Dont compare yourself to other people. Everyone loses weight at different times, so just because someone is losing slowly or quickly doesnt necessarily mean you will be the same :) xxxxx

Good Luck Ems - you will be fine with the band I am sure. Just take it one day at a time; and try to stick to the programme given by your diet team.

It is a slower process with the band as opposed to the bypass; but you can be just as successful; and don`t be too tough on yourself if your weight stalls at times. You will find lots of information if you follow the band threads that Neen set up. Have a look and see how others are getting along!

Take care hun x

Love and Best Wishes Kat x

Back