• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band to Bypass or Sleeve. Advice appreciated!

Missyme

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, but have done quite a lot of reading on here over the past few days. A little about me... In 2006 I lost 8 stone (in 5 months) on a VLCD and prior to this lost 3 stone with a slimming club. I was 22st 8 at my heaviest and got down to 11st 5. I am happy to be around 12st (I am 5ft 10). However, for a few years I mostly maintained this loss, but still fluctuated with a couple of stone on/off again. In 2007, I had a fleur-de-lys abdominoplasty and in 2015 I had an arm lift. In 2013, I had a gastric band fitted and lost about 16lb post-op. I then spent a long time having fills/de-fills in an attempt to reach the elusive 'sweet spot'. Long story short, I've either ended up too tight where I can barely eat and am choking on my own saliva or not having hardly any restriction. I had to have the port repositioned as it was badly protruding. I was 15st 9 when I had the band fitted and am currently 17st 5. Over the years, I have been returning to VLCD to get weight off and then it goes back on again. I struggle with holidays, Christmas, birthdays etc. My metabolism seems to be shot. I lose weight for the first few weeks then it virtually stops or slows to very little. I then go totally off plan and binge eat at times mentioned above and my weight is creeping back up. I can't tolerate much food without gaining and stay away from carbs as in bread, pasta etc but I have a sweet tooth! I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to discuss revision surgery. I have given you a snapshot of my eating over time in the hope that you can share your experiences and what worked for you and any advice on sleeve or bypass. I am also interested in having the Fobi ring to reduce the chances of further revision surgery. Any idea how much extra this would be? Has anyone had this? Or kept their band? Any experiences/advice shared is appreciated. I know it is ultimately my decision, but think the band was very much the wrong choice for me and I want to get it right this time. I also want a yo-yo free life; this rules my life in every way. Sorry for the long post and TIA.

Hello and welcome!

I had a band in 2009 which was removed a couple of years ago. I am now a year post op sleeve, so I totally get that you want to get it right this time.

As the band is no longer working for you so its definitely worth considering the many options available.

My conversion was done in two stages, so that might be something to consider. I was almost a year with no band to allow my stomach to heal. Although I did still have scar tissue left, the surgeon was able to sleeve me.

You may find, due to your sweet tooth, the bypass will be recommended for you. Which can have the addition of the fobi ring. We have a member who recently had this surgery, so I'll find out who it is as she might be able to help you further.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :D

Hello and welcome!

I had a band in 2009 which was removed a couple of years ago. I am now a year post op sleeve, so I totally get that you want to get it right this time.

As the band is no longer working for you so its definitely worth considering the many options available.

My conversion was done in two stages, so that might be something to consider. I was almost a year with no band to allow my stomach to heal. Although I did still have scar tissue left, the surgeon was able to sleeve me.

You may find, due to your sweet tooth, the bypass will be recommended for you. Which can have the addition of the fobi ring. We have a member who recently had this surgery, so I'll find out who it is as she might be able to help you further.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :D

Thank you for your warm welcome and taking the time to reply. I am swaying towards the bypass although I am apprehensive as it seems a much more invasive op than the band/sleeve. I really hope I don’t have to have 2 ops; I would rather get it over in one go. I am seeing James Halstead on the 30th so he will hopefully help me decide as to what is best.

Thank you xx

Back