• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

tomorrow's Daily Express

Grace

I was just watching the ITV news...they showed tomorrow's front page of the Daily Express....it looks like the media are gearing up for another hysterical but ignorant outburst against obesity in general and weight loss surgery in particular.

Apparently WLS is taking money away from cancer treatment.

I'll have to read the dratted thing tomorrow to make a informed judgement, but the front page headline looked horrific. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh for Gods sake, thats all we need......more discrimination! Now we will be accused of taking money from cancer sufferers.....what about all the drug addicts, alcoholics, dossers who have never worked a day in their lives but live a life of riley? Why is it not ok to discriminate against everyone in society except fat people?

Oh for Gods sake, thats all we need......more discrimination! Now we will be accused of taking money from cancer sufferers.....what about all the drug addicts, alcoholics, dossers who have never worked a day in their lives but live a life of riley? Why is it not ok to discriminate against everyone in society except fat people?

Dotty it feels like we are currently enemy number ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!
we probably steal children and drown small puppies too!
or EAT them!!!!!!!!!!!!:eat::rotflmao::rotflmao::doh::doh::doh:

Well said Dotty!!, My cousin is 24yrs old & severly disabled she has just had a breast removed due to breast cancer, i began to feel guilty about having my Bypass on the NHS, so i spoke to my aunt (her mum) about i how felt & she told me that all my family are worried that in the next 20yrs i will be in a wheelchair or worse dead, so i was to take this chance with both hands & give myself a new life, she never once made me feel bad that i was having this surgery on the NHS.
I think the same as you that if i was a drug addict etc i would get help thrown at me, we are not lazy good for nothing people we have an addiction :sigh:

Yorkiegal, I'm not sure if that's the article or not, since the headline as MUCH worse!

i did think it was fairly restrained, apart from the unfortunate picture of the woman in the goldigga leggings.

press preview is about to start on sky news right now so maybe they will mention it too.

good for sky news. they raised the point about how obesity surgery saves the nhs money in the long term. Also that the £28 mill spent on obesity surgery per year is not a huge chunk of nhs spending, and also that this governments health secretary is focussed on longer term planning so won't be worried by it either.

Thanks for finding it Yorkiegal.

Typically the balanced view point is tucked away down at the bottom of the article and given only one line, after all the hysteria, prejudice and general rabble-rousing!
It makes me so very, very, very cross.
Quick fix and easy solution this IS NOT!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

For me, as I suspect for pretty much everyone on here, WLS was a last resort and a last hope. I've worked for years in poorly paid, over-worked government jobs.......I'm not saying that entitles me to anything extra, but I refuse tobe made to feel guilty either.

In the face of all this vile vilification, the finger ought to be at least begun to point at the multi-billion pound food industry, which creates foods which are addictive, and promotes, promotes, promotes, even from babyhood (ie 'petitfilous' fromage frais, marketed for weaning babies and so laden with sugar it made me dump!)
in exactly the same way that the tobacco and alcohol industry have done.
WHEN will so-called intelligent people wake up to what is happening?!

Oh dear, do people not understand that Morbidly Obese means you will die of obesity.......hello!......morbid=death!! You will never die of having a bent nose or one breast larger than the other but money is spent on these operations, is that ok? Why is spending money on saving one life more worthy than spending money on saving anothers life?

Oh dear, do people not understand that Morbidly Obese means you will die of obesity.......hello!......morbid=death!! You will never die of having a bent nose or one breast larger than the other but money is spent on these operations, is that ok? Why is spending money on saving one life more worthy than spending money on saving anothers life?

Good question!
I think it comes down to he 'deserving' sick vs the 'undeserving'
ie cancer is not deserved, whereas obesity is caused by laziness and greed! thus deserved!
It's small-minded and ignorant.

i too dumped on petit filous, which i mistakingly ate thinking it would be ok, cos it was for babies and children.
i knew a man who lived near me, he was an alcoholic, and he didnt work, but lived in a council bungalow, and actually got money each week because he was an alcoholic. he waited outside the pub each day for it to open, and stayed in there till tea time, before getting a taxi home, pallatic. how many more people are there like that, yet we are once again in the firing line for eventually saving the nhs money.

It makes my blood boil! thought in the statistics Obese people were more at risk to get Cancer?? so surely this is a preventative treatment for a multiple of problems? therefore the cheaper option for the NHS!!! most of us on here have battled for years, myself 30years!! so no way is this the easy way out, we have tried things for years and spent pounds at slimming clubs etc!! Maybe we should ask people new to the country to contribute to NHS for a few years before guaranteed healthcare given???

Only the truly ignorant would believe that obese people are causing cancer sufferers to go without treatment. Another cover up for what is a truly screwed up system in a screwed up country.

As others have said....what about the drug and alcohol dependant and the just plain lazy who are constantly given treatment by the NHS and handouts by the DHSS?
On the rare occasion I've had to visit my GP, it's a fight to get through the door with all the junkies, smokers and 'bad-back' brigade hanging around outside. A huge new extension was built to the surgery and was made into a drug unit while we all wait days for a GP appointment.

It has been reported that the government spends £3 MILLION A DAY tackling drug addiction. The cost of Methadone supplies in Scotland alone was £16 million in 2008/09 and yet our cr*ppy little surgery budget is blamed for the denial of cancer treatment.

My surgery was not funded by the NHS due to budget restraints but if it had been funded I would not feel one iota of guilt and applaud anyone who has been able to be funded.

Back