• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

tomorrow's Daily Express

We all know WLS isn't a quick fix...the numbers there are quoting are wrong (there are more like 2 million people eligible for WLS within the UK)...as far cancer sufferers being denied 'life-saving treatment', that's utter rubbish too as it is NICE that weighs up the proven efficacy of drugs against their cost, so if a drug isn't approved, it is simply because the benefit of using the drug compared to the cost of prescribing it isn't worth it...both articles are pure spin, aka crap probably penned to fill a space!

im probably going to be stoned here BUT ...for me this was the easy way out.. i had tried everything else and nothing had worked and this has been so quick and apart from the exercise which i must say i do so i dont end up a deflated sag bag i havent really tried that hard.. even weeks when i dont go to the gym everyday i know i will still lose.. i also had complications with my op and almost died but when i came round i couldnt and still do think.. all that time/money/worry spent on me when i was there just because i was fat and couldnt stop stuffing my face! i hate the fact ive cost the nhs so much money and constantly think about that fact! i know alot of ppl will disagree with me but thats been my opinion pretty much since i came out my coma. xx

I hope this all dies down - it's all I've seen on the news today! Lets hope 'todays news is tomorrows rubbish' - they'll move onto some new story soon.
Must admit when I saw Anne Diamond being interviewed I did think 'good on you girl!' - nice to hear someone on our side for a change!

omg kirsty what happened for it to result in you being in a coma?... x

they gave me penicillin for 2 days and they didnt know what was wrong.. my veins all collapsed and they couldnt get any fluids in so they put my in a induced coma for 4 days and pumped me with drugs. it was the worse experience of my life! x

ooo my gosh!!!! yikes im so glad your ok now! did they say why that happened... my veins are that bad that in my last preg prep was done to give me a hickman line :( xx

they gave me 2 sorts of drugs i was allergic 2 so i was so poorly. they said it was their mistake. my throat closed up and everything it was really bad. they called my mum at 5.30 in the morning and called her and my hubby in coz they didnt think id make it. i had pneumonia, a chest infection and gastroenteritis aswell.. was rank!

I am so pleased to hear Anne Diamond on sky news tonight... (I hope Vanessa and Fearn Brittain also follow suit) Anne shows a level of understanding that only a person who is a sufferer of 'obesity' can understand... the despair of how to lose weight, when all else fails.... and the result is surgery that no one would choose if they had a choice in my opinion...

Having recently had treatment for cancer... the wards and oncology units are extremely advanced and as serious as cancer is, the money the Government wastes on so many other things is disgraceful, all vital areas including 'obesity surgery' should be accounted for because weight issues are so disabling in various ways...

I think this outcry regarding 'obesity' is another spin and distraction against a vulnerable section of society, most of us already feel awful enough to be unable to lose our weight... despite exercise and slimming classes for the last 30 years, I have never kept my weight down and always gone back to 19 stones plus...

From hearing all of this today... I hope that we are not sent reeling into the pits of depression and consequent eating for comfort...

Thank goodness we have the comfort of this website... with a level of understanding that can sustain us to carry on regardless... I think this is what we have to try and do... just keep going...

Hugs and very best wishes to everyone... xxx

Today really has made me feel like hiding indoors and I've eaten loads. It feels like Get At Fat People Day. The daft thing is that you could look at most procedures and see there had been an increase in them over the years. That's what happens when something works. I'll bet the nhs spends a lot more on IVF than it does on wls.

I'm so sorry that you feel like hiding indoors, it's a terrible injustice and so insensitive, typical of those that don't have an ounce of understanding for others....

Please keep going and keep moving forward... we have to do this and we have to hold on to each other... I am really sorry for anyone that has been affected and think it is appalling.

Did anyone see the Chawner family on the Bio Channel with Lorraine Kelly... again, 'called the Fattest Family in GB', all with overwhelming individual problems and shunned by society...

We have to hold our heads up and try to get ourselves motivated to continue on our respective journeys.... I am always here for anyone if I can help....

Hugs and love to all of my WLS family xxx

Is someone who is dying of cancer worth more than someone who is dying of of being fat?

I spoke to my GP after some comments were made on TV about money being taken away from cancer patients and he agreed that it was very narrow minded view.

Is my life worth less than someone elses?
Especially when SOME illnesses are as a result of lifestyle just like obesity is considered to be and they are still treated on the NHS.

My dad is dying of cancer. He smoked for 20 years but not one person has ever blamed him for his illness or suggested that he shouldn't have access to the treatment which might buy him a little time. And nor should they.
Yet I feel like once I've had the operation I'll still have to feel apologetic to the public for having had it on the nhs.

I refuse to be apologetic. I will hold up my head and feel proud. This has not been an easy journey for me, it has been the last resort and literally a God-send.
Despite my being unable to hold down a paid job at the moment, I contribute to society. I hate prejudice and bigotry in any form. This is just the latest to surface.
people are SO IGNORANT! I mean....they can hate people because of skin colour, religious belief, sexuality, race or nationality, even hair colour......now fat distribution!

Sometimes I despair. A lot more love and a lot more tolerance would make this world a much better place!

My sentiments entirely Charis... we live in a world where we are often judged by appearance...
I agree... heads have to be held high and get on regardless...

We have to go forward and not back.

Love to all xxx

we should start signing a petition. why people who are healthy are always brain dead? i'm very upset to read about the 'diet' thing. why don't they understand that if with dieting worked for us then who needs the life threatning surgery? its not like 2/3KGs to lose... its a lot to lose. also people who can afford the surgery don't really wait for 2/3 years to get NHS fund. waiting for NHS means losing 2/3 years from life if you can afford urself.

Quite right Farzu, it's a last resort for us, we are not at the starting post when we get to the stage of needing surgery and a great deal of thought and concern goes into our decision... I am ignoring the critics... having paid my taxes... having tried everything mortally possible... I won't be invisible to the needs that I have and no one else should be made to feel like this either...
Go forth and succeed everyone!
Undeterred and undaunted!

xxx

I think a lot of my guilt comes from the fact that I haven't worked for about 4 years now and am living on disability benefits.

Back