• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Unrealistic Weight Loss Expectations of Bariatric Surgery Patients

Absolutely Blue Eyes, it's about a lot of variables and many factors are also involved... I am always delighted to see anyone trying and doing what they can, plus feeling healthier in the bargain... to me it's a great achievement to see people embarking on change, but it makes me feel sad if people then don't feel they are achieving... change is about so many things and success goes with this and perseverance....

Love to all, no exceptions on your respective journeys xxx

i was always told the surgery in most people will help you lose 70% of your excess.

I was never given a goal weight at any of my appointments but i set my personal (ultimate) goal of trying to get to 12.5-13st which would be losing about half of my starting body weight (total of about 13st to lose)....I have lost 9st so far and couldn't be happier :D

my surgery has done it's bit and set me up to be ABLE to exercise and get about easier.....now it is now up to me to work harder and keep it going to get down to my target :)

Michelle you look amazing. Just hoping I look like that when I get going. My referral letter went off today. Funding already sorted. How long was it from your referral to hearing from the surgeon? Thanks, Ruth

This is a very good article. Thanks so much for publishing it. My weight hasn't moved for a few weeks but I still feel that I am achieving. I am now excersing regularly and my skin, although a little dry, has never been so good. Everyone tells me that it has a glow. I have gone from a 28/30 to an 18/20 and have lost over 40 inches.

Looking at all your wl stories you have all done very well. Be proud of your achievements thus far, whether pre or post op. The best thing is that you're not putting on back the weight and even those of you who have, you've managed to lose and keep it off. In the past, it would have been a different story.

I wasn't given a goal - or told how much to lose.

What I was told was that a DS had an 18 month window of opportunity

and

that 2 lb a week for a year was over 7 stone off - so 2lb/week x 18 months was about 10 1/2 st - and that became my aspiration.

I never thought I'd achieve that nor exceed it or get to over 90%EWL

But I'm pleased I have :)

xxx

My WLS people told me that my band wasn't the magic solution, it would help me but 70% of the effort would still have to come from me, and 30% assistance from the band. Post surgery, they are right. The only way to lose weight and keep it off is eat less and move more. The band just gives me more discipline, and is a gentle constant reminder

Good article

This is an interesting article, but I personally think it rather vague, and it failed to adequately address or distinguish whether patient's weight loss goal expectations were on the basis of the surgery itself (as in expecting a 100% loss of excess weight solely on the basis of having the surgery, with no additional input/specific effort from the patient in addition to the surgery), or whether patients took into account & made suitable/adequate lifestyle changes in addition to the surgery, but despite those changes, had failed to achieve 100% excess weight loss.

I knew to expect to lose around 70% of my excess weight due to the surgery. I’m much happier & more physically capable than I was when I was 5 stone heavier, but let’s be honest here, I’m sure as hell not going to be delirious about still carrying an extra 2½ stone that shouldn’t be there....but the distinction here is, I accept the rest of this weight loss will be down to me.

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

I'm the opposite, I have a fear of loosing too much weight. Ideally I would like to be a curvaceous size 14 or 16. I have such a huge fear of having a flat bottom or thin thighs and have no desire to be a size 10 or 12.

The reason I had WLS was as a tool for long term weight loss as opposed to drastic weight loss.

Michelle you look amazing. Just hoping I look like that when I get going. My referral letter went off today. Funding already sorted. How long was it from your referral to hearing from the surgeon? Thanks, Ruth

:) thanks and best of luck to you x
I got my funding in July 2009, consultation appointment in the august and had my surgery in March 2010

Hi everyone
The article that started this thread is very interesting and has me thinking of the path / paths I have taken to lose weight, not going to detail the last 25 years of my life in this post, but I would say that in any weight programme be it diet, exercise or surgery there is no one single solution that fix be the “magic pill” we have all been looking for.
The one thing I feel you need to have clear in your head is your personal answer to a question “why are you trying to lose weight”
  • Is it for personal vanity so you can look good on your next holiday?
  • Is it for a medical reason?
Probably a combination of lots of thing for different people, but the only thing that matters is that you are doing it for YOU and nobody else.
Sorry to ramble on.
Good luck every body
BigDave

When I read about realistic expectations being around 50% weight loss through surgical intervention I make the assumption that this is what would be achieved if I just followed a base / moderate lifestyle. If I did less, then weight loss would be less, apply myself more then the results would be better.

WLS is not a majic bullet but just another tool that I can use to achieve weight loss. I believe that I have set for myself a number of realistic weight loss goals spread over a 2 year time period.

Overall my main goal is not the number on the scale but a body shape that I am happy with. If at the end of the 2 years I am able to buy a XL large shirt, regardless of the number that scales display, then I achieved my first major goal. The next three years would be spent on maintenance and tuning.

I am 50 years old and I want to spend more time travelling, fly fishing and just living. Time spent dealing with obesity medical issues is wasted time.

Hi Kev,

It's a good article, thank you.

My thoughts on this are that we are 'All' very different and individual... I'm hoping to lose slowly, feel well along the way and be able to keep it off...

It can imply pressure if we feel compared to others and I see weightloss and wls as a very individual thing personally...

Whichever way it comes off and stays off, as long as we feel well and better... has to be good.

It's a great journey and well worth the effort.

Love and hugs xxx

Kev,

I so agree with Bev's answer and I too want it to come off slowly. Being 54yrs old I know I wont still have skin that will shrink without wrinkles unless the weight loss is slower than that the younger person. Age has its diadvantages of elasticity in the skin and I dont really want to have plastic surgery to get rid of my excess skin.

Another thing, how can studies compare Britain to the USA!!!!

Great article though Kev, thanks :) xx

BigDave99 said:
Hi everyone
The article that started this thread is very interesting and has me thinking of the path / paths I have taken to lose weight, not going to detail the last 25 years of my life in this post, but I would say that in any weight programme be it diet, exercise or surgery there is no one single solution that fix be the “magic pill” we have all been looking for.
The one thing I feel you need to have clear in your head is your personal answer to a question “why are you trying to lose weight”

[*]Is it for personal vanity so you can look good on your next holiday?
[*]Is it for a medical reason?
Probably a combination of lots of thing for different people, but the only thing that matters is that you are doing it for YOU and nobody else.
Sorry to ramble on.
Good luck every body
BigDave

Thank you I did it for myself and have now lost 8 st only have 1 st to go I have never felt better and good luck to you BigDave

Back