• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vanity or Health

Health for me. After slipping in the shower and dislocating my shoulder i decided that if i hadnt of been so big i might not of done so much damage. I had to have surgery on my shoulder 12 months to the day of dislocating it to sort the damage out that i had done. 2 Weeks after dislocating my shoulder with a bmi of over 60 i started on lipotrim and lost 2 stone but then plateaued for 6 weeks despite sticking to it 100%. I finally went to see my dr for some help who refered me to the weight management clinic. As soon as they saw me they said that surgery was te only thing that they would do for me as i would never loose it any other way. I had never considered surgery but so glad i had it.

I am choosing to have this surgery because I feel so unhealthy. It takes so much out of me to get up off the settee. When I am at work and we take the children on a trip and have to walk anywhere I am in agony with my back and out of breath, it is so embarrassing. The added bonus will be being able to wear nice clothes and not stand out in a crowd for being the fat one.

Both for me, but it would be really special NOT to be noticed. Just to be able to walk down the street without getting stares and rude comments. I am going abroad in 2 weeks time and should be really looking to it, instead I'm absolutley dreading it, the whole thing from the flight, the heat, the sores and having to scrutinise each chair etc before I sit on it. Still, as I tell myself, this will be the last holiday I will ever look like and feel like this.
love and hugs to all

For me it was 100 percent health reasons, I know that when I have lost all my weight that my body will not be a pretty sight, so vanity doesn't even enter in to it.:)

I absolutely did it for my health. I was always happy being me, I was obese at 7 years old so being the fat girl has been life long for me. I had healthy self-esteem, so much so that a friend was actually puzzled as to why I had it done. I knew that without the surgery I would probably die young and never have the chance to be a mum.

With all that said, I realize now that I had no real concept of how fat I was. I really did not see myself that way. Now I know and I really get a kick out of being normal size. I enjoy the compliments I get and tend to take more care with my appearance. I have asked my hubby to thump me if I start acting too vain, but the cheeky monkey he is says how much is too vain??? All kidding aside, I love my new thinner self and enjoy being a normal size. But what I really, really love is feeling normal on the inside like I am just like everyone else, no more worries about my diabetes or my blood pressure, no more worries if I might not be able to physically do something. I actually get to think about doing anything I want now!

I'm another for the both vote! The health side is definitely a bonus and I feel so much better but I was sick of feeling fat and frumpy and getting overlooked for things. The difference in how people treat me now is astounding! People smile at me for no reason, doors get opened for me, I get random strangers making conversation with me! It's bizarre really!

But I am also very aware of how much better my quality of life is due to the op and how much better my future will be. So yeah, a mix of both with vanity probably coming out a bit higher!!

Hi Guys

To be honest when I first contemplated any form of weight loss surgery it might have been more vanity than health. However, now it is definitely for health.

What was it for you...honestly?

~hugs~
Both really. soooooooooo fed up with looking like i do, but also have a few probs which i hope will be improved by wls. Just want to be me and have a better life.

If i'm completely honest it started as purely 100% health - but now i look at myself in the mirror and think "GOD WHAT A SEXY BODY YOU HAVE" ;)

Very strangely, when your fit, healthy and able to do things you quickly forget how hard it was to get up the stairs or walk around the shops, i find myself pushing myself harder and harder and upping the challenge every time, even found myself in Adventure sports in Ambleside on the verge of booking an Everest summit trip, though at 17k that will have to wait until my next tax year :D

If i'm completely honest it started as purely 100% health - but now i look at myself in the mirror and think "GOD WHAT A SEXY BODY YOU HAVE" ;)

Very strangely, when your fit, healthy and able to do things you quickly forget how hard it was to get up the stairs or walk around the shops, i find myself pushing myself harder and harder and upping the challenge every time, even found myself in Adventure sports in Ambleside on the verge of booking an Everest summit trip, though at 17k that will have to wait until my next tax year :D

Its when people say do you feel better for it and you stand there for a mo and have to think. Hell yeah but still would never admit just how hard things were before.
Will your tax stretch to me joining you at the top by hellicopter? lol
catole

Its when people say do you feel better for it and you stand there for a mo and have to think. Hell yeah but still would never admit just how hard things were before.
Will your tax stretch to me joining you at the top by hellicopter? lol
catole

Helicopter cant go that high, very little air for the engines to run on, plus at the summit your in the slip stream so the winds can be fierce, and no where to land anyway, afraid given the current level of technology the only way is to walk to the summit, and even after paying your 17k there's no guarantee you will make the summit.

for me good dollops of both health and looks... want to feel normal whatever that is well healthier not so tired not having to think about how far i can walk without great pain ....not having to shop in EVANS!! to wear jeans and not look like a huge sack of potatoes lol

Back