• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wls or dieting

Denise Morris

There seems to be great public criticism generally regarding people who have weight loss surgery, generally to do with cost etc.

I personally think that if you can achieve weight loss through dietry changes/exercise then brilliant but for some people including myself it proved very difficult, I think this was partly due to hypothyroid which for past 18 years I have been treated although I had all symptoms for 7 years prior and was undiagnosed/untreated.

Resorting to surgery to help lose weight its not an easy decision to make and takes 'guts' to admit you need it , because like any major surgery it is not without risk and the heavier you are coupled with pre existing health problems increases the risks.

From my own point of view what put me off considering surgery for so long was I think initially I felt a failure at being unable to lose adequate weight naturally even with the aid of xenical and reductil.
Even when my weight was causing health problems it still took a lot of consideration of the pros and cons and it took me 2 years to decide to to ask my GP to refer me for it and then I had almost 2 years from seminar to surgery (almost 4 years).
Having had sleeve in January I have no regrets and wish I'd be my decisive earlier because I have lost more weight since surgery than I did in over 25 yrs of diets etc and already I am feeling the benefits in my health.

I also think the obesity epidemic (if thats the acceptable term) is due to the easy access of fast food and unhealthy food which certainly was not so easy to get when I was in my teens and what was available was kept as occasional treats.
Many argue that healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food so here's a solution which might resolve this - apply a health tax (such as that on alcohol/cigarettes/sweets) on the unhealthy food which could then be used to subsidise the healthy food making it cheaper.
It does not remove a persons right to eat 'rubbish' but by making it more expensive it may well provide a deterrent to eating it everyday.

i think uv got a great point hun :) my surgery is being filmed for a documentry about wls bein avalible on the nhs and if its worth the money the ops cost. as u may well know alot of people who are not over weight dont agree with wls on the nhs and the documentry im doin is to show people its not an easy way out and u still have to work hard even after wls xx

I also think I chose to over eat for what ever reason, and because of that I take full reponsibility for being over weight. Wls is going be my tool to now undo all those poor eating habits.

CHICK1981 - you'll have to let us know what the documentary is called and when it's on - sounds interesting! x

Wow Charmaine you are having you op filmed :eek: you are brave to want to see that lol

Great post Denise - It really is annoying when we get so much negativity from the media.

Even friends who I have known for years, were quite opinionated about wls - I am showing them that its not an easy answer and it takes a lot of self - discipline and focus.

Good luck with your weight loss journey hun x

Love Kat x

Thanks for comments, I just think it annoys people when people mainly those without weight problems say its taking the easy way out and I think they need to realise its not the easy option at all!

Back