• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vit D defienceny.

fjsinc

Its been so long since I started a thread, I've forgotten how to do it!

I'm nearly 18 months out, and have always been borderline insufficient in VitD even before my op. But results have come back today that I've dropped into defienceny. I've been taking 40ug as a supplement for 6 months, ie 800% rda, in attempt to bring up my levels. But obviously hasn't had the desired effect. I will be making an appointment with my GP, but wondered if anyone has had experience of VitD defienceny? And how much more supplimentation is needed to get level back up?
I find it very strange that my level has worsened, especially in light that my B12 and folate have near enough doubled (never had the b12 injection), and is at the very top end of normal!

chrisa

aww dear get it sorted sooner rather than later that Babe is guna need everything you have to grow strong n healthy xx

fjsinc

Spoke to my GP later (it was the midwife that gave me the results). He says it looks like my test came back inconclusive, the first was deficient, but they repeated it and the second result was only borderline insufficient. He doesn't think its going to be too hard to correct it, but I've asked for a repeat test and to have my calcium tested too.

Good news is that my b12 has actually gone up. It was 992 at 6 months post op, 432 at 12 months, and now 836 at 18 months. Folate and ferritin gone up a little too.

Last edited:

chrisa

I have no idea what any of mine are only that when I last had some bloods done I had no phone call so all must have been ok. I have no idea about anything like that. lol xxx

Madcatwoman

I too have low vitamin D and calcium, despite taking supplements, and like you I have really high B12 and folate, despite not having jabs. I do supplement with sublingual B12 though. I don't understand it either!!

fjsinc

I take the sublingual tabs too. I don't know why people dismiss them, they work very well for me. Curious that we're the same in terms of defienceny, doesn't appear to be very typical. I'm very confused because dairy features very highly in my diet as well. I think I will end up taking the 5000iu tabs and see how it goes.

I never trust the docs to tell me whether there is something wrong or not. I rang up the other day moaning they hadn't sent me my 6 monthy blood test form, only to be told by the receptionist, that I was wasting nhs money as I only needed bloods once a year! Oh my word, she got an ear bashing. Im flipping well an nhs nurse, and I know more about my post surgical needs than my gp - let alone a receptionist. I know they have a hard job dealing with so many people, but there is no need to make assumptions.

Madcatwoman

I'm not looking forward to being discharged from the hospital and asking the G.P. for 6 monthly bloods. The dietitian is very good at doing the bloods at the right time, but will have to nag the G.P. He has already said he knows nothing about WLS, however I think he will accept what I say.

fjsinc

My gps do just take what I say, its getting through to them thats the problem, lol.

I got discharged at a 10 months, and I haven't felt too abandoned. I just know I have to take responsibility for my own care.

chrisa

EEh its awful really that our Gp's don't know or understand what we need I have to tell mine what I think luckily I have met one nice gp that isn't mine and 2 nurses that have done thesis on bariatrics and are really interested also about the B12 so we just have to keep plugging away my gp used to say ask when you go to hospital which is no help now since they discharged me last July lol xxx

Madcatwoman

Gosh that was early - they don't discharge you until you are 2 years post op at my hospital. If you are getting the right care, and know what you need its not too bad I guess. I work at the same hospital so I know I can email the dietitian if I need to even after discharge. She is the only one I've seen regularly since the op, only seen the surgeon once and never seen the bariatric nurse!

fjsinc

It was very early, much earlier than everyone else I know who was treated by them. I was very shocked at the time. The dietician told me to email her if I did ever need help, but they felt that: 1, I had done very well reaching my 70% ewl by 10 months. 2, I was showing no nutritional, dietry or behavioural problems. 3, my knowledge and understanding of post op life meant I was well equipped to go it alone. Very scary though!

Madcatwoman

That's great that you did so well, but as you say quite scary! I've been told I'm a model patient ha ha as I lost just under 70% EWL with a sleeve (they only expect 50-60%). I just followed instructions though, nothing special.

Paula Garner

Fiona, my bit d was so low I was referred to an endocrinologist. He told me to buy 10000 iu vit do off amazon. He guaranteed within 3 months I'd be back in therapeutic range and I was.

I buy healthy origins 10,000 iu vit d. It's £10 for 360 soft gels.

HelenAngelfish

My Vitamin D levels were only 22/23, they are supposed to be 300 and something. My GP prescribes me 20000 tabs, take one a week xx

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
Me too, no surprises there. I hover between deficient and insufficient. I have Vit D injections that you can only get in hospital so I had one recently whilst I was an inmate. My sunbathing with a comprehensive amount of skin on display also made a significant increase of about 20 points. When I get back in the feed-gunk that is full of vitamins s so that should make a difference as I take no other sources :(

fjsinc

Just an update, I have had the results back from the repeat vitamin D test, and its 77! Which is just within normal range - yay! So all in all, at 18 months post op my blood results have come back BETTER than before my op.

my blood tests shown i was vitamin d deficient too, and protein and folic acid feel like my insides will be rattling at this point haha