• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've been AWOL, I have news and I need help!

Hello all, sorry i have been missing, my laptop had died, so i am borrowing my OHs work laptop (shhhhh) for this.

For anyone who read the thread about how awful i was feeling etc, i got my blood tests back.

My B12 had dropped from 312 to 132 since september, so that explains why i felt AWFUL!

I am now having an injection every other day for the next 2 weeks, and then one every 3 months for life (unless i need it more often and then it will be monthly, they have to wait and see)

As for my weight loss... HA!

In the past month I have lost 4lbs :sigh:
I just seem to keep going up and down between 12 stone 1 to 11 stone 11... and I dont know why!!!

MY OH seems to think i eat too little (i have around 800-1000 cals a day... tends to be more the lower end of that) and i havent done much exersice as i have been ill, however i am waaay more active in general. I did go swimming this last week (and now i am paying for it, im so sick) and last weekend i spent 6 hours walking around edinburgh.

I have a healthy balance of food, drink plenty etc

My Dr says it could be because of my B12, and how low I have been feeling etc, but she doesnt really know, or cos i have had irregular TOM it could be increased appitite due to that... but im at a loss... nobody seems to be able to help?
As for my after care... well im currently in the middle of a formal complaint as they are useless.

Am i eating too much or too little?
My fat intake is small.
Most of my daily carb intake comes from fruit.
I eat plenty of protien.

I havent stalled before (ive been lucky)
But im just so lost, and getting upset and down about it.

I know it would get harder to loose the closer i got to my goal, but im so stuck. :(

Im going to pick up my exercise once my B12 is up, Dr says i should start to feel the effect from the jabs in 2 weeks or so, maybe a month. Im really hoping ill be up to swimming next week also.

If anyone has any ideas, pleeeeeeeeease tell me!!!
I know im not eating too much in one go (my meals weight 200g - 250, unless its breakfast or supper and they somtimes are a lot less then that, i dont drink with meals, and i really dont want to do the 5 day pouch test as i dont feel it will solve the problem.

Sorry to go on, thank you for reading.

Oh on the bright side, this week was the first time i had gone swimming in 10 years. :)

.x.

It could be your bodies way of protecting itself. Your body knows you are lacking in B12 and as a result will store energy to help protect itself. This could be why no weight loss. It is hard to eat right when you ar feeling so yuk, wait for your B12 injections to start working and then look again at your eating and exercise.

Hope you are feeling better soon x x x

Thank you terri, i just want to make sure its not something im doing wrong :)

thats good advice

.x.

Hi Hun

I cant really help as I dont know the function of B12, however the weigtloss stall could just be due to the lenght out from your op. If your eating is fine and your fluid is fine, then it could just be your body chilling out?

Hope you feel better soon hun x

I'm inclinded to agree with Terri here on this - get your B12 levels back up and when your feeling generally better you'll be more inclined to get back on track with your healthy eating and exercise, at your stage 1000 cals a day isn't enough, your body fat percentage is now low and therefore if you dont ingest enough cals a day your weight lose will stall as your body doesn't want to give up the little it has left, you should be having somewhere between 1200 - 1400 a day, ensuring you eat a healthy balanced diet high in protein and including carbs and fats and incorporate daily exercise.

Thanks you sal and mazza, im relly hoping to feel better soon, ive felt awful for months!

Silversurfer, thank you for your input, i was never told how many cals to aim for, and tbh ive been hungry all the time of late and trying to ignore it, perhaps i should pay more attention to what my body tells me eh!

Was the 1200-1400 something your dr recommended? or just personal experience? And is that the same amount for females as males? sorry for all the questions.

I eat a healthy diet, i guess i just need more of it :)
Ands once i start to feel better i can get more exercise, you wouldnt beleive how pale i am right now, if i catch sight of myself as i walk past the mirror to the loo in the night its like seeing a ghost! lol

Thanks guys, you can always count on this site for help :)

.x.

Silversurfer, thank you for your input, i was never told how many cals to aim for, and tbh ive been hungry all the time of late and trying to ignore it, perhaps i should pay more attention to what my body tells me eh!

Was the 1200-1400 something your dr recommended? or just personal experience? And is that the same amount for females as males? sorry for all the questions.

Hiya

I,m in maintenance now and daily aim for 1700-1800 cals a day, though my daily work out is fairly intensive now, so my body needs the extra calories to keep going between meals. To lose (if i needed to) i'd reduce to 1400-1600 a day, and drop a lb or 2.
Like yourself no one ever told me how many cals a day i should be eating, i've researched and learn't about food and nutrition along my journey, i think its generally excepted that during the first year post op if your eating the healthily you cant eat enough to fail at losing, post 1 year the story changes as you have adapted to restricted eating and have regained hunger.

One important note to remember - if you exercise you need to replace those calories, you are exercising to increase your metabolism not burn calories ! a faster metabolism will speed up the fat burning process in your body, and increase your fitness levels, the aim isn't to just burn extra cals.

Thanks ss, that makes a lot of sense, i shall pick my cals up a wee bit and soon as im better get back to more exercise!

.x.

I'm with SS Bea and very much in the same position as you having had my op at the same time and havinglost as much. My research shows we need to eat more to loose at this stage but we never seem to get the relevant information do we?

Hopefully you will get your B12 sorted out and down you will go again.

Good luck

M

ccpm, hello!
seems we are both in the same boat then eh (good job we lost so much or it would sink... boom boom!)

im hoping the B12 will help.

im gunna increase my cals, ive started using the daily plate, i didnt realise how low id let my cals get, crumbs!

.x.

Thanks everyone!

had my second jab today, another on weds, so im hoping to feel better soon :)

.x.

Hi Becky, well done on your fantastic weight loss and well done on the swimming. I can't really advise you as I'm a bander but you will get some great advice from the lovely bypass peeps here. they know what they're talking about. Good luck sweetheartxxxxx

Back