• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

waiting times

Maggie68

I live in Chichester west sussex, and am going to go to my gp, to see if I can get weight loss surgery. I went before and qualified, and did part of the weight loss management programme, but did not have surgery. Does anyone know what current waiting times for surgery are ? Also what is the best procedure to have ? Thanks, Maggie

Hi @Maggie68 :)
The waiting times and routes to surgery are different everywhere I'm afraid so I don't think anyone can give you a straightforward answer. It's well worth reading the diaries and posts here to get an idea. Hopefully your GP will be well informed about how the process works where you are and whether doing part of the preparation before will be taken into account. To see a lot of the diaries you need 50 posts :)

As for which procedure, ask your GP what's available to start with. My hospital rarely does bands anymore for example so my options where bypass or sleeve. I made my decision after research both thoroughly and taking my medical issues and needs in to account. When I eventually met the surgeon he agreed with my choice but if he had thought the bypass was a better choice I'd have obviously listened to him and weighed up his opinion as well.

It sounded you're right at the start of your journey and it takes time on the NHS if that's what you choose but it means you have the time to really get your head round what a life changing choice you are making, be sure you can commit to making a real change in your relationship with food. It's definitely worth it x

Hi, Thanks for your advice. I have just made an appointment with my Gp for the 30th. I spoke to someone on the why weight programme , who is referring me for tier 3, as my BMI is 48.9, she was a bit off putting about the surgery, saying it was major surgery, and I would not be able to go out for a meal etc. I don't think she knew an awful lot about it however. It's quite a difficult decision to make, but I am 48, and have been putting on weight for twenty years. I have a lot to think about and consider ! She also said it was about two years to wait for surgery, when starting on the tier 3 programme.

It is major surgery definitely but I assume you already know that. I've gone out for meals since, I went to a wedding 3 months post op even but I have strategies including not caring what others think about how little I eat and I still enjoy myself. WLS is no walk in the park but it is a really invaluable tool if used properly and respectfully to take back control of your health. It's also a very personal decision and sadly not everyone is supportive but it's your choice and your body. You know if this is right for you and you know if you can handle the surgery and making those changes so trust yourself and ignore the haters ;)
Good luck on the 30th

Hi and welcome,
I don't have any advice as I'm at basically the same stage in my journey. We have long road ahead but will be worth it x

Hi, Thanks for your advice. I have just made an appointment with my Gp for the 30th. I spoke to someone on the why weight programme , who is referring me for tier 3, as my BMI is 48.9, she was a bit off putting about the surgery, saying it was major surgery, and I would not be able to go out for a meal etc. I don't think she knew an awful lot about it however. It's quite a difficult decision to make, but I am 48, and have been putting on weight for twenty years. I have a lot to think about and consider ! She also said it was about two years to wait for surgery, when starting on the tier 3 programme.
I agree with Fee, it is major surgery, both for the body and for the mind . Eating out can be a challenge to start with as I am finding it difficult to know what to order from the menu and paying for food that I know I won't finish, and also watching others eat something I fancied. It doesn't mean you can't though, but it is a bit trial and error.

It is good to have the waiting time between referral, being put on the waiting list and then the surgery so you can do your research, think about what you are doing and ask lots of questions.

I live in Chichester west sussex, and am going to go to my gp, to see if I can get weight loss surgery. I went before and qualified, and did part of the weight loss management programme, but did not have surgery. Does anyone know what current waiting times for surgery are ? Also what is the best procedure to have ? Thanks, Maggie
There was someone from Chichester on here earlier this you so you might be able to find them if you do a search.

Back