• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Walking in my bedroom

mr97

Hi

For the last few weeks I've been doing a daily 20 to 30min walking routine using Leslie Sansone's home fitness (walking) DVD.
These workouts have been excellent for me and I now feel like I'm back into a healthy lifestyle to compliment my healthy eating plan.
Weighing 486lb and being fearful of leaving my flat, ruled out so many forms of exercise, however, after a few questions to Google, I found the answer via Leslie Sansone on You Tube. All her workouts seem to be low impact but manage to get the heart rate up for an effective aerobic workout without stressing the hips, knees etc.
I thought I'd share this here in case there's anyone in the same boat as me re. going out doors as well as being limited in choice of exercises.
You can find some of her 1 mile, 2 mile... workouts on You Tube for free and her DVDs are available on Amazon UK.

Moderators: Please feel free to delete where applicable if I have broken any rules re. a product and or place of purchase.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.. The workouts sound really interesting I am going to go check them out on Youtube.. Thanks xx

Hi Amanda, thank you for the welcome.

There's enough videos on YouTube to try a different class everyday!
Having researched exercise and home gym equipment to death, I've ended-up buying a step-box, gym ball and some resistance bands ...God only knows where I'm going to put it all!
I worked out that the total cost of the items equates to what I would spend on 5 typical take away meals, therefore, money well spent.

Hi Amanda, thank you for the welcome.

There's enough videos on YouTube to try a different class everyday!
Having researched exercise and home gym equipment to death, I've ended-up buying a step-box, gym ball and some resistance bands ...God only knows where I'm going to put it all!
I worked out that the total cost of the items equates to what I would spend on 5 typical take away meals, therefore, money well spent.

I bought a step and some fixed weight dumbbells about 3 years ago whilst doing an NHS program.

We were given resistance bands as part of the course.

I do a little circuit training program we were given then.

15 mins or so of warm up followed by a series of minute exercises

6 Cardio exercises followed by 6 active recovery exercises (rep style)

Repeat and then a 10 minute cool down.

Hi Wanderlust

I'm hoping to build-up to doing some varied circuit type training in the future. I like the idea of varied routines.
Struggling at the moment just doing the walking workouts as my knees are quite painful.

Well, Mr97, if you have found something that doesn't stress your knees then I would stick with that for the time being, and then as your knees improve look at circuit training then... I checked out the youtube videos, and have downloaded some and popped them on a dvd and I am going to start doing them too, they actually look like they would be quite fun to do.....

Thanks Amanda
I managed one of Leslie Sansone's 3mile walking classes today. Tweaked it a little to avoid the movements that hurt my knees , but got a great 45min workout!
Hope you find the YouTube videos helpful.

Hi mr97, welcome to the forums, I'm really interested in these walking DVDs and YouTube videos..I'm going to research it tomorrow when I'm feeling a bit more awake!
Are you waiting for WLS? Or have you had it already?
Tell me to shurrup if you want I'm just terminally nosy :D

Hi Evenstarr

Just type "leslie sansone" into YouTube's search engine and you'll find her walking/exercise classes.
I'm hoping to have WLS in the near future at Darlington Memorial Hospital. I attended a seminar that was held at the hospital last month and I'm due to see the consultant on 18th Sept. This Thurs I have to attend the sleep clinic, however, to see if I have sleep apnea - that's my first hurdle.
Having researched WLS I believe that a gastric sleeve may be the best procedure for me, but until I'm spoken with the consultant and discussed it further I guess I'll have to keep an open mind.
Currently, I've been following the British Heart Foundation healthy eating plan. This was given to me by one of the dieticians at the seminar. It was adjusted to suit my height and weight. Also, I was advised to take-up exercise hence, the walking classes.
My diet is very healthy at the moment and I feel that apart from 'head cravings' for crap, I'm very happy with the eating plan I was given. It's only been 3 weeks now and I have exercised daily and now feel much more hopeful and positive about my future. I feel that I have lost weight, but I have no way of knowing as I think there's only one pair of scales in the town up to the job, so I guess I'll have to wait until my appointment with the consultant, to find out if I have lost enough weight to show him I'm committed to change.

Wow, I think your commitment to losing weight shines through, well it certainly does in your post!
Lots of luck with your appointments and keep us updated.
Remember we're all here for you, you can ask us anything or just moan! And course share all your news :)
Em xxxx

I've just had a look at these too, and they look fab, thinking will start with these tomorrow, I have even doing 'chris Powell - the work out' on You Tube, he's the guy that does all the extreme makeover weight loss edition programmes in America. But I am not sure if these would be any good for people with problems with their knees, as there is quite a lot of floor work. But you can have a look and see what you think. Good luck with your appt tomorrow Mr97, hope all goes well.
X

Thanks Sarahj2710
I'll check-out some of those Chris Powell, workouts on You Tube. There may be a bit too much for me at this stage of my weight loss plan but I'm sure my mobility will improve as I become fitter.

Good luck with your fitness and weight loss Mr97, and good luck with the clinic tomorrow, let us know how you get on.
Xx

Will do Sarahj2710
gdlondon - thank you for the encouragement.

Give it a shot, Michael222. There's loads of exercises and set routines for all ages and abilities on YouTube. I personally find following an instructor via a fitness video effective; it's like having a personal trainer.
Having recently purchased some resistance bands, I can thoroughly recommend them as you can do so many exercises with them.

Hi,
I feel as long as your health is fine, you are reducing weight then there doesn't seems to be any problem. Continue with your daily walk, and am sure you will continue to be in shape.

I'm doing things the old fashioned way and getting outside. That said, it's been freezing today with heavy dense fog too. Some guy farted in front of me and I swear I saw it. :p

Nice one Joe, I've now progressed to walking outside. Feeling loads of aches and pains from being basically housebound, earlier this year. I think they're 'good' pains, however, just my body getting used to serious hard labour - carrying me around. I really feel for my feet at times; they'll really benefit from my losing some timber.

Brilliant stuff. I tend to get sharp pains going off in my left ankle now and then, but soldier on. It's only been severe once when I had to limp back to the car in defeat. Aches and pains are good - it shows your body is getting worked.

Back