• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weird Tongue!

MrsSmith

Know this is a strange question, and may have been brought up before (if so, then apologises), but I am now 4 days post band op and have just noticed how horrid and weird my tongue looks, so just wondered if anyone else had this?
It's very blotchy and patchy, doesn't hurt, but looks revolting!
Hoping someone else had this and it's not just me!

Yes I had this too. I think it's where you're just having liquids, I bought some Cortisol mouth wash because one of gums started to get a bit sore too. Once I started eating something I could chew it went. If it was sore I'd say it could me oral thrush as that can happen after an anaesthetic (sp.?) too. I'm no medical expert though, so if you're worried might be worth speaking to a professional. x

I had oral thrush after my op too. I left it (as you do lol) until it got quite bad thinking it would go on its own but in the end my doctor gave me some quite strong medicine for it. Not tablets but an antibiotic that you apply directly to the tongue (drops).
Go and see your doc then it wont get any worse.
Lynne x

i have the same im 4 days post op and couldnt take it anymore my tounge was all white and tasted revolting so i went to the chemist and got over the counter gel stuff. x

I meant Corsodyl and to say 'be' oral thrush not 'me' oral thrush. Must have been half asleep when I posted that one!

Thanks everyone; knew you'd all know, that's why I love this forum!
Good ol Mr Smith has bought me some Corsodyl (dodgy spelling?) xx

I got this too- it could be oral thrush which looks like white patches on your tongue and is due to the huge change in diet , milk diet and a lower fluid intake than normal. Anyway- either see your doctor or buy some Daktarin Oral Gel from the chemist ( about £5 ish) and apply twice-four times daily and it'll go in a couple of days. Mine came back a few times over the past few weeks too so its good to have something to use in the house. xx

I had this too and do still !! My doc says it's called geographical Tongue and caused by all the drugs etc used in surgery that kill the good bacteria in the mouth . I also have a condition in my mouth called lichen plantus and so it's all a right state ATM !!

I remember posting exactly the same question and at the time got a variety of responses - a few insisting it was ketosis!

Anyway, it does pass but the advice you have had so far is good but I would add to make sure you keep your fluids up too.

Good on Mr Smith!

Thanks everyone; really appreciate everyone's help and advice.
Think it looks a bit better today, although it did look particularly gruesome after I'd had my orange chewable multi vitamin earlier! :) xx

Back