• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What a Shock! (New here, hello)

ccoe

Hello,

I was referred to see a team about my weight and was really shocked to discover my BMI was huge; over 60. Not only that but they mentioned all sorts of types of surgery. I think I'm probably too heavy for most of it, after doing my own research, but they did mention something called a sleeve?! I've read lots about it today but was wondering if anyone could tell me their experience? I live in Teesside so if I do have to have an op. it will be North Tees. My heads all over at the moment - I think I must have been in denial at what I expected them to say!

Lottie

I had bmi of 68 and went for bypass. They wouldn't mention it if they weren't prepared to do those procedures.

Mine was 62....I did hours of research from forums,youtube etc and was never in any doubt that the Bypass was right for me....a personal choice of course. :)
I wish you well for the future.
Andy x

I love my sleeve. My Bmi was 52, I've lost 7 stone in 7 months ;)

Welcome to the site Lottie. I am still pre-op but due to the long wait on the NHS I have had months to research and read and make an informed choice (in consultation with the surgeon) on what I think is best for me and I am having the sleeve. Soonish hopefully :) Good luck.

My BMI was just over 50 (can't remember exactly) when I started my pre op diet and came under after that. I was sleeved on 24 Jan this year and am so relieved that its all done and dusted and I can get a chance at a "new life". I believe the sleeve used to be done on people with very high BMI's to help them get off enough weight to proceed with the more extensive duodenal switch safely, however after good results in many patients (no need to mover on to a switch) it has been practised in its own right. I chose the sleeve as I'm a bit of a chicken but didn't fancy a bnd as it seemed too reversible. When you've got your head around it, do some poking around on the net and familarise yourself with all thats available before your next appointment. I dismissed surgery for years and started looking into things and then abruptly stopped several times previously with the heebie geebies. Its a hard decision but I couldn't get control on my problem / addiction (had it for life - fat from 2 years old) and I just needed some proper help! Good luck with whatever you decide. x

Best thing that I have ever done, and am doing again :eek:

Choose one that suits your eating habits best and get it done.

You'll get your life back, then you can go on living it.

Hi and welcome Ccoe..My BMI was 67. The only option I have been given is for the balloon followed by bypass. Balloon is because they want my BMI down to a much safer 50 (health issues) before they operate. I was fitted with the balloon just last week :)

welcome :) do research the various types of surgery and what your options could be- my bmi was 55 and i had a band fitted in august last year, they do take into account so many things but if youre aware it does help :)

Welcome to the site Lottie, keep researching and asking questions here. I know it's really scary when you first realise how big you are and that surgery might be the last option to getting healthy but you will see here it works for a lot of people. My BMI started at 69 and I had a bypass. Mine has gone from 69 to 40 in 8 and a half months. Best thing I ever did for my health. Best of luck, any questions just ask x

Hello everyone

Thank you so much for all your replies :) I've been reading about all the different types and it's a lot to take in at first, isn't it. I am a terrible comfort eater. Have any of you who have had an op. found it hard to stop with comfort eating? Or what did you replace it with?

Thanks everyone

Lottie x

Back