• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What foods are definate no no's after having a band?

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
I just wanted to know all of you that have had the band what foods are a deffinately NO NO ?

I have listed my favourite foods and drinks and woudl like to know if I coudl carry on eating them :

Bread especialy french sticks
Chicken
steak
tuna
lamb chops
potatoes
oven chips
cider !!!
coke (the drink)

what about a meal out - can you eat a light meal like pubs do ?

Thanks sorry to ask bet most of you think idiot !
xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

e.green69

hi i am 10weeks post band and everyone is different but the no nos for me are
all meat except lean steak mince
all bread
all pasta
nothing fizzy so coke and cider couldnt do
but on a positive note i eat out quite a bit and have light vegertarian meals
hope that helps
emma

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
Thanks
Well done too
Is this forever ?
xx

e.green69

hi
i know the fizzy drinks is a lifelong change as the gas will cause so much pain and long term can erode band. but as for meat and bread i dont know i do try little bits every week but then im sick so not for me yet lol.
are you considering band in future?
emmax

gingernutter

I think charliegirl wanted a band but the doctor suggested a bypass. This is something you might like to look into. A Bypass is very very different so go armed and ready.

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
Hi
I just wanted to know all of you that have had the band what foods are a deffinately NO NO ?

I have listed my favourite foods and drinks and woudl like to know if I coudl carry on eating them :

Chicken
steak
tuna
lamb chops
potatoes
oven chips
cider !!!
coke (the drink)

xxx

hi, my no no foods are as follows

1. no bread of any kind
2.no meats apart from mince or very small pieces of chicken
3 no rice as it blocks the band hole
4 no pasta as it sticks with in 2 mouthfulls.
5. yorkshire puddings & roast potatoes ive had to stop eating as they ruin my sunday dinner.
6. fizzy drinks are not supposed to be drunk as the gasses swell the pouch, i can mange flat coke ok.

thats just part of my list that i dont have now but everyone is different.

liz xx

serenitylove

iv not had my first fill yet so can eat anything still so have enjoyed a few porks chops wile i still can lol i did however have a bit of a problem already with crusty bread and for some reason tomatoes are iritating me so i think they are going to be a nono for me too . i dont drink fizzy drinks so never been an issue but i know all my info sheets say no to it

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
I am just over 2 weeks post op, I find bread ok as long as it's toasted and wholemeal.

I have done chicken, fish, burger and bacon. All went down fine, just have to chew chew chew.

Food at lunchtime is no problem but if I eat too late in the day I have real burping episodes.

I do have restriction at the moment, I can definitely sense it. I cannot eat a quarter of what I used to be able to wolf down.

My surgeon said to me about diet coke, it is possible to have, if get a small bottle, open it, pour it out, let it sit in fridge in glass for a few hours, then add ice, it goes flat enough to cope with. Just a little fizz.

I can take fizzy pain killers and have no trouble, they gave me those when I left the hospital.

I think its so different for everyone.

alliecat

frustrated bander!
We are all different you will find and something that goes down really well one day you can't manage the next! At the mo I can eat pretty much anything as long as it is in small quantities. Dont do fizzy drinks any more though and I used to be a real Diet Coke addict but I can honestly say now that I don't miss it. Hope that helps xx

Vixi

Hi,

Bread and Chicken seem to be a real problem for me, everything else seems ok though. Oh rice can be a problem sometimes.

I have a question though, I've had a few fills now and I have 6ml in and i still feel like i could eat much more. Is this normal? I'm worried its not working :(

Vicki

vicks

hi i am going for the gastric band fitted on monday 17th Nov. Just getting through this week with out eating and drinking lots of fluid i,m on day three. Has any one had any problems. thanks V

Mynewlife

Hi

Chicken
steak
tuna
lamb chops
potatoes
oven chips
cider !!!
coke (the drink)

xxx

Hiya

the following is out for me:
Coca Cola
any fizzy drinks
chewing gum (these are the normal things meant to be out for banders)
fat chunky fries
bananas
All breads unless it is toasted
steak
pork

the only meat I can eat at the moment is mince and sausages.
I am still learning to live with my band, and sure that there will be other foods that I can't tolerate.
regards

MyNewLife

Last edited:

samt

Foods

Hi,

I have had the band for five years, and I found that each person was different, you just have to try and listen to your body. I could eat red meat and pizza etc, but only very small amounts, others couldnt eat it at all. Bread is also a problem for some.
Lasagne is a good one for going out as it is easy to get down or was for me.
Hope this helps!

samt

liquid diet is a nightmare! I used to thin diet custard down. Petit filous is a good one too.
just go for taste and flavour at the moment, that is what I found.

kargar

Hi, I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow and new to this site. Had my first band fill last monday (8th Dec). Up till then could eat most things (carefully) although bread and stoggy stuff a def no no. For last week been on liquids again, went for birthday celebration today - gran's 80th. Was carvery, spoke to chef, had soup and managed 1 roast potato( the inside not the crispy bit!) swamped in gravy - not ideal as need to be healthy but couldn't even manage an over cooked carrot! But at least I only got charged a childs portion!!! It's a difficult time of year for changing a lifetime of eating habits but I guess there's never a good time. I have about 8 ston in total to lose and since tarting the post op diet on 28th oct I have lost a stone and a half. I'm not gonna give myself a hard time over xmas, as my body will do that if it doesn't agree with what I eat, so xmas day will be a little mash nd gravy, but at least I can have a few drinks, so I'm not feeling completely deprived. And ome new year I will really work the programme to get my monies worth and more importantly to get my life back. I fing the hardest thing is... i used food as a comfor for everything... sadness, stress, depression, celebration etc and now I can't, and it's finding out how to re-chanel my feelings in a positive way instead of using food. I'm blabbing on, but this is the first decent site I've found, and I would love to share my experience with someone, as it's still very fresh in my mind, and believe me the first few weeks i was in agony...but that's another story. Thanks for reading Karen x

phatgirl

Hi there Karen and welcome to minimins. We have such a lovely variety of pre & post-op people who are very supportive. Congrats on your weight loss to date, that is great! You seem to have yourself well sorted and that attitude will take you far, I promise.;)

You might want to start a thread of your own in the main section below this one as not everyone reads the sticky section.

There are many banders here, some recent post-ops and some more seasoned veterans that would love to give you all the band advice you might need. So post away and hope to hear more about your journey.

Take care:D

dbuzzyb

Thank u for putting my mind at rest that life doesnt become a complete nightmare after surgery and Samt-5years thats such a comfort -1 of my big worries was surely u would continue to loose weight and end up too thin... u have made me feel much better
many thanks this site is brilliant.
xx