• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what happens to emotional eating

princesszippie

I know that I emotionally eat, as we all do from time to time. I am going to see my GP and a private clinic about surgery, and I am just curious to ask someone who has had a bypass and has experience of emotional eating. What happens when you feel the need to comfort yorself with food and you can't? What do you replace that with?
Has anyone got any regrets?
Kell.x

You still comfort eat, thats why it's so important to sort out all your head issues first. Having a bypass won't cure you of this pproblem.x

my daughter has had this problem and is with L&D.
I have to go to work in a min, but i will tell you about it tonight.
sue.

I know that I emotionally eat, as we all do from time to time. I am going to see my GP and a private clinic about surgery, and I am just curious to ask someone who has had a bypass and has experience of emotional eating. What happens when you feel the need to comfort yorself with food and you can't? What do you replace that with?
Has anyone got any regrets?
Kell.x

I always thought that I was an emotional eater but since the bypass I have realised that I was just a greedy git! To tell you the truth, I think that I used any emotional incident as an excuse to eat! Now that I've had the op it's great, as I am enjoying my food soooooooooooo much more because I chew every tiny mouthful so many times that I get every little bit of taste out of it, instead of stuffing it in as fast as I could. I always thought that I was stuffing food in to stifle any emotion, but all it was was an excuse to pig out. Just being honest (to myself as well)!

I have tried counselling and I know why i do it, but my feeling is that if I have a physical deterant this may help. I hope that people agree with this, otherwise I am stuffed *pardon the pun!)

It really is best to try not to emotional eat but if you HAVE to post op then make it healthy food that is going to contribute something to your dietary intake and not a crappy slider food. You will probably find that you dont overeat emotionally purely because you cant, it wont be comfy. Thats the case for me anyone. I was only a mildly emotional eater, I was mainly greedy but I dont ever eat emotionally now.
The best thing that you can do is seriously try to alter your habits now, which as you posted this thread it is obvious that you want to sort this problem out and move on from it.
I find that it is all a state of mind and I have been very lucky that my state of mind changed during the surgery, feels as though the surgeon rewired my mind as well as my innards and taste buds lol
Good luck.
Steph xx

It is easy not to emotionally eat early post op, but the further out you are you will at somepoint return to emotional eating if you don't sort out the issues. Once the restriction eases off and you can naturally fit more in to your pouch it becomes easier to emotionally eat anything. There have also been cases where people transfer their addiction, some people turn to alcohol or drugs, others gambling or shopping or something else. That is why it is so important to sort out the issues and triggers for emotional eating. Just because our new pouches makes it difficult doesn't mean the urge/need to do something that dulls it goes away. If they are not sorted they will continue to build up and you will end up blowing your stack in a major way or turning to something else. Emotional eating for some is a way of feeling good about themselves and also a way of dealing with issues that are too painful to bring out in to the open. I would urge any true emotional eater to seek help for these issues before they become a major issue post op.

hi, my daughter (who is with the same hospital as you) is/was an emotional eater and had to have councelling for it at the hospitals request before they would go any further.
Lucky for us in Northampton we have one of the best councellers in the UK at St Andrews (Mr Clive Long). He is expert on eating disorders, and some of the staff at L&D used to work for him.
It was expensive but worth every penny.
Hope this helps Sue.

I was/am an emotional eater, but can't fit as much in now, so have turned to shopping:eek::eek:Am trying to rein my spending in but it is hard, and I simply don't have the money:(:(I try and have a swim when I feel like hitting the shops now:D:D

I always thought that I was an emotional eater but since the bypass I have realised that I was just a greedy git! To tell you the truth, I think that I used any emotional incident as an excuse to eat! Now that I've had the op it's great, as I am enjoying my food soooooooooooo much more because I chew every tiny mouthful so many times that I get every little bit of taste out of it, instead of stuffing it in as fast as I could. I always thought that I was stuffing food in to stifle any emotion, but all it was was an excuse to pig out. Just being honest (to myself as well)!

Oh my goodness. Thats the most sensible and thought provoking post I have read since being on here and I think I was the same!

Is eating out of bordom or habit a type of emotional etaing ? maybe so, i eat when i'm bored weather i need to or not, i still do to a degree, but when i do i have healthier option foods (low in cals) handy which i know will top up my restriction and stop me from over doing it.

Addiction tranfer can be a problem as Terri says, though mine has become the other ;-) and i like shopping, though i suspect thats because the novalties of buying nice clothes hasn't yet worn of.

Is eating out of bordom or habit a type of emotional etaing ? maybe so, i eat when i'm bored weather i need to or not, i still do to a degree, but when i do i have healthier option foods (low in cals) handy which i know will top up my restriction and stop me from over doing it.

Addiction tranfer can be a problem as Terri says, though mine has become the other ;-) and i like shopping, though i suspect thats because the novalties of buying nice clothes hasn't yet worn of.

When the novelty has worn off do you think you could transfer your addiction to buying ME clothes instead? :D

*joke*

I started out as an emotional eater and still refer to my eating as 'bingeing', but I've come to realise that it's not. It's simply that I eat 'bad' foods all the time out of habit now, rather than choosing healthier options. Yes there are times I'm depressed and want to cheer myself up with icecream etc, but mostly it's just pure denial about what I should put in my mouth. I fall for the 2 for 1 offers all the time, and never buy a small bar of chocolate if a large one is on offer. I've realised that I don't even enjoy food anymore. I just shovel it down rather than savour it. When I make the effort to prepare a nice meal from scratch I enjoy it so much more. I've never actually learnt to cook!

oh and whenever I'm sticking to a diet I transfer my addiction to handbags. I have at least 50. I probably keep Accesorize afloat single handedly.

When the novelty has worn off do you think you could transfer your addiction to buying ME clothes instead? :D

*joke*

Yep no worries, but would have to be my choice of clothing ;) which you might not like (or on the other hand you might lol) and of course as your fashion guru i'd have to extensively study photos and get your exact dimensions, just to make sure i know what would suit you :D

I can not believ the overwhelming response to my comments. Thanks all. I have booked a consultation with the WLSG for 3rd of March. Lets see what happens. I am a bit scared since the lady on the phone stated that death occurrs 1 in 200, which is high I think!!

Thanks Sue. I have done the whole counselling bit. I am well aware of what the issues are, its just managing them I struggle with. An on going struglle for me.

I can not believ the overwhelming response to my comments. Thanks all. I have booked a consultation with the WLSG for 3rd of March. Lets see what happens. I am a bit scared since the lady on the phone stated that death occurrs 1 in 200, which is high I think!!

That does seem very high. I thought it was something like 1 in a 1000, and even then tended to be people who were more mature and had serious co morbidities.

that death rate is 1 in 200 but it is a normal rate . but there is risk with any op you have. but you have to weigh up the pros and cons for eg: do you stay over weight and risk dying from a heart attack or a stroke, or never being able to enjoy life to the full. or do you take a risk that, of having an op ok it might be dangerous, but on the other hand, might change your whole life, and out look on life for the better, i, like most of us have thought of the mortality rate of these ops . but i personally cant go on in this body like it is any more . my whole family suffers because of it, so like many others i really dont have much of a choice......

Back