• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had surgery at Chichester Hospital (St Richard's )

poppyowner

I have been referred to St Richards Hospital in Chichester by my GP....

Has anyone else been through this hospital as a NHS patient?

What should I expect to happen once they receive my referral letter from GP ?

I live in Eastbourne, East Sussex - anyone know if funding is automatic or if not how the procedure goes?

When / If I get an appointment following my referral letter what should I expect - what happens at that?

Sorry to be a curious pain but I am one of those I like to know what happens, how and when so I can mentally syche myself

Look forward to your replies

Thanks

Jill:confused:

Hi Jill & welcome to the site.

I had my op there on the 9th of September & cannot praise them highly enough from start to finish its been a slcik, thoughtful & incredibly helpful journey.

If you have a look in my signature you can see how quick my journey was.

My funding was sorted before I went to Chichester & was thru very quickly too. My GP wrote a letter & I got confirmation of funding!

My first appt was a day with the bariatric nurse, surgeon, physician, dietician & psychologist that was in the morning then they talk about you during lunch & tell you in the afternoon if they think yr suitable for surgery & what kind of surgery.

Next appt was pre-op tests, bloods, mrsa swabs etc then I was back there for my op!

I didn't have to have any sleep tests etc that some people have to go thru, depends on yr health & bmi I think.

I'm just up the road from you, near Uckfield... there is a wls meeting in the Martello in Eastbourne not sure of dates tho

Hope this has helped a little. xx

You say they decide whether you are suitable for surgery etc..... what would make you unsuitable? Is it possible to give wrong answers? I worry as get nervous in interviews, meetings etc and panic incase I say something and it is taken the wrong way. I know I fit the criteria re. BMI, age, Diabetes type 2 etc - what happens in that first meeting - what sort of questions do they ask you?
Am pleased to hear you had such a good experience there.
Where did your letter come from informing you that you had funding...? My GP has literally last week posted a referral to the Surgeon at Chichester......
How long from the referral being sent was it till you heard if funding was available AND how long from then til getting Surgery date?
How long were you kept in for?

Sorry for the masses of questions but just great to hear from someone local who went to same hospital I hope to visit.

After the Op (fingers crossed I get it) I'll def attend the meetings you mentioned at Martello (nice and local for me - I'm down by Asda!)

Thanks

Jill

Referred 24th June.
Assessment 3rd July.
Pre-op 19th August.
Bypass 9th September

Sorry - DOH!! Just noticed this bit at bottom of your post. WOW quick turnaround from referral to assessment.

My referral was dated 15th October 2010

Jill

You say they decide whether you are suitable for surgery etc..... what would make you unsuitable? Is it possible to give wrong answers? I worry as get nervous in interviews, meetings etc and panic incase I say something and it is taken the wrong way. I know I fit the criteria re. BMI, age, Diabetes type 2 etc - what happens in that first meeting - what sort of questions do they ask you?
Am pleased to hear you had such a good experience there.
Where did your letter come from informing you that you had funding...? My GP has literally last week posted a referral to the Surgeon at Chichester......
How long from the referral being sent was it till you heard if funding was available AND how long from then til getting Surgery date?
How long were you kept in for?

Sorry for the masses of questions but just great to hear from someone local who went to same hospital I hope to visit.

After the Op (fingers crossed I get it) I'll def attend the meetings you mentioned at Martello (nice and local for me - I'm down by Asda!)

Thanks

Jill

When I was there people were turned away for surgery... I'm not sure but I think b'coz they've not researched, are not metally prepared that kind of thing. I can't really remember the questions but just be open & honest about why you want this... yr eating habits etc etc

My GP wrote for funding to Worthing pct before I was referred anywhere the pct then wrote back telling me which hospitals I could choose from.

I had my op on the Thurs & came home on the Sunday, originally they were going to let me home on the Sat but Shaw Somers felt that as I had 2 young children another day would be beneficial for rest!

The dates from refferal to first apt then pre op etc are just below this post in my sig. x

Referred 24th June.

Assessment 3rd July.
Pre-op 19th August.
Bypass 9th September

Sorry - DOH!! Just noticed this bit at bottom of your post. WOW quick turnaround from referral to assessment.

My referral was dated 15th October 2010

Jill

Yes I'm one of the very lucky ones. I think we are lucky where we live & the hospital we chose to go thru... some others have terrible waits & journeys. x

worried now since you said people were being turned away. I really feel the need/want for this surgery due to being Type 2 Diabetic.........
If you had to say your primary reason for previously being able to lose but not keep off weight losses what would you say? I seem to be triggered mainly by not losing when feel its justified I should or for comfort etc...

Jill

Sorry didn't mean to worry you... there were tons of us that got yes'!!

I told them I was a professional at losing weight but couldn't keep the weight off, I had been diagnosed with diabetes in the new year & was tired of battling & getting nowhere.

I promise you just tell them yr story & be 100% honest & you'll be fine. The fact that you have a co-morbidty is a big plus in yr favour!

had mine there back in march....absolutely fantastic team and the nurses are awesome too

who is you are seeing? my surgeon was Tim John

i had no comorbidities...just weight lol

My journey summarised was....
march 2009 - see GP
May 2009 - consultation (private due to rubbish GP)
June 2009 - funding requested
July 2009 - got funding approved
Aug 2009 - consultation (number 2 on nhs)
Oct 2009 - psycho therapist appointment
Jan 2010 - got surgery date
Feb 2010 - preop
March 2010 - surgery

Thanks you two. I am worrying more about being refused funding and being refused at the hospital than I ever am about the op / pre or post diets themselves!! I want / need this sooooo badly - I finally got referred I just don't want to be put back to absolutely no hope...... wish me luck!

Back