• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What have you swapped food for

Paula1975

Too many of us, food was there to answer anything, now I feel myself leaning towards wine instead, I mean not to the am extent of what amounts of food I was having, and now I've broken my wrist what does everyone turn too?,

Sent from my iPod touch using WLSurgery

Last edited:
I've had 6 cups of coffee today. I think about it when I'm stressed, and crave it. I never used to have as much as I do now. Most days I can limit myself to two cups, today I was stressed.

I don't think I've replaced food with anything but have changed how I do things so my food danger-points don't happen.

For example, I'd often read a book in my room while polishing off a HUGE box of Maltesers. Now I either read last thing at night or sitting in the living room.

There was a woman in here a couple of years back who opted to back out of surgery at the last minute as she had read that some people transfer their food addiction to alcohol and when I had my info session at The Whittington roughly the same time the dietician did mention it as a known risk

I brought a book called the bariatric surgery emotional first aid kit. It's at least worth one good read & I've dipped into it from time to time in the last 2yrs. It discusses many of the points we all struggle with, replacing one obsession with another such as booze for food or the scales or anything we resort to in our times of emotional need plus so much more.

Clothes shopping! My bank balance does not like it one bit! ;)

I am actually going to see my psychologist because I am also shopping for food I know I can't have and I end up throwing it out. My fridge is rammed full and I live on my own....it's insane! I am finding it very weird. I know and realise I am doing it so why I can't stop is beyond me!Anyway, hopefully she can sort me out! :/

I brought a book called the bariatric surgery emotional first aid kit. It's at least worth one good read & I've dipped into it from time to time in the last 2yrs. It discusses many of the points we all struggle with, replacing one obsession with another such as booze for food or the scales or anything we resort to in our times of emotional need plus so much more.

Hi Penelope,
You mentioned this book to me a good while back..I've been keeping my eye out for a copy,but on amazon it's so exspensive(and not in stock)if you know of anywhere where stocks it let me know,I'm dying to read this x

I've been keeping my eye out for a copy,but on amazon it's so exspensive(and not in stock)if you know of anywhere where stocks it let me know,I'm dying to read this x

Is it this one?

Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery (Paperback)
By (author) Cynthia L Alexander

The book depository have it in stock, its £11.36

mine is shopping - clothes I can stop as I'm buying sizes I've never bought before, got my first size 14 this weekend! And nail varnish - I have about 50 lol

Mine is sleep. Whenever I want food I seem to need to sleep instead. It may be my reaction to surgery still, or my fibro playing up, but I can't seem to stay awake. At least when I sleep I'm no eating.

mine is shopping - clothes I can stop as I'm buying sizes I've never bought before, got my first size 14 this weekend! And nail varnish - I have about 50 lol

I also seem to have swapped food with shopping. Not even clothes shopping really just general bits and bats. However I have noticed I am getting a bit naughty at buying more food for my boyfriend when he comes to visit. I think I may have to take control of this because I dont want to become a 'feeder' lol. My waist life is feeling the benefit but my bank account is certainly suffering :(

Hi Penelope,
You mentioned this book to me a good while back..I've been keeping my eye out for a copy,but on amazon it's so exspensive(and not in stock)if you know of anywhere where stocks it let me know,I'm dying to read this x

It is available from Amazon on Kindle if you have one for £6.41 still expensive for a Kindle book but it's a possible way of getting it - providing of course you have a Kindle.

AE.

Or a Kindle app on a laptop, tablet or phone. The app is free.

You beat me too it - was just about to amend my post. I don't have a Kindle myself but do have the app on my laptop and android tablet. Should have remembered that as I was reading a Kindle book in hospital on my tablet :eek:

Hope your weekend away was enjoyable and that your doing ok on the cat food diet - i.e. pureed food.

AE.

Last edited:
Oohhhh good tip on the kindle app, am definetly going to look that up for my iPad.

Am drooling..... Can't wait to move onto cat food if indeed it's ever going to happen. Am 6 weeks now and still on milk !!!

Back