• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Soft food stage & a few questions

daisy2002

I'm 3 weeks post op today & i've started on soft foods today.

The information booklet i was given isn't very helpful to be honest.

Their suggestions are things like -
1-3 tbs of ready brek
2 tbs of soft fish
1-2 tbs of soft mashed

Do they mean 2 tbs of fish with 1-2 tbs of mash? It is not very clear.

Are you supposed to have 3 meals a day and nothing else?

How much were/are you eating during this stage?
I'm worried i'm eating too much.
I had a scrambled egg for breakfast (nearly ate it all) & lunch was half a tin of lentil soup.

What kinda food were you eating during this stage?
I'm vegetarian but i'm a creature of habit and used to eat the same breakfast, lunch and dinner nearly all the time.... so i don't really have many ideas for food.

I know this question is going to sound stupid but how did you know when you'd had enough?
I don't have that 'full feeling', the feeling i'd get when i was full up pre op.

I haven't been given much advice on eating or anything like that so i feel kinda lost :(

cooked soft veg with gravy on, cauliflower cheese, broccoli with cheese, custard and fruit, s/f jelly, mousse etc, try half a ww fish pie see how that goes down, or you can puree down some quorn with veg to make a bit different, cottage cheese, , hope thats helped bit, xx

daisy2002 said:
I'm 3 weeks post op today & i've started on soft foods today.

The information booklet i was given isn't very helpful to be honest.

Their suggestions are things like -
1-3 tbs of ready brek
2 tbs of soft fish
1-2 tbs of soft mashed

Do they mean 2 tbs of fish with 1-2 tbs of mash? It is not very clear.

Are you supposed to have 3 meals a day and nothing else?

How much were/are you eating during this stage?
I'm worried i'm eating too much.
I had a scrambled egg for breakfast (nearly ate it all) & lunch was half a tin of lentil soup.

What kinda food were you eating during this stage?
I'm vegetarian but i'm a creature of habit and used to eat the same breakfast, lunch and dinner nearly all the time.... so i don't really have many ideas for food.

I know this question is going to sound stupid but how did you know when you'd had enough?
I don't have that 'full feeling', the feeling i'd get when i was full up pre op.

I haven't been given much advice on eating or anything like that so i feel kinda lost :(

3/4 tbl spoon in total. I was told 5 meals per day and 2 ltr of liquid. To stop as soon as u feel full. I also dont understand when to stop so asked the nurse. She said to eat 3/4 tbl spoon and stop.

my daily diet did and does consist of
6 proteins e.g. 1oz fish, tuna, meat, cheese, or 3tbsp custart made up with skimmed milk or semi, 1/3pint milk 1 diet yoghurt or 1 fromage frais- each is 1 portion.

2 veg servings, e.g. 100mls tomato juice, 1tbsp carrots, cauliflower,green beans,cabbage,swede, turnip. etc.

2 servings of fruit, 100mls unsweetened juice, 1tbsp tinned fruit in own juice, pureed own fruit no added sugar,1tbsp,banana,raspberries, strawberries.

carbs, 2 servings aday, 250mls soup, 2tbsp porridge,add 1 protein as well for milk used,1/2 weetabix, 2tbsp cornflakes,1tbsp potato,1tbsp sweetcorn,1tbsp pureed peas xx hope thats of use xx

At my hospital purée is 2-4tbsp a meal. Max of 6tbsp. Eat 5 meals a day. Some can be fruit in low fat custard or yoghurt if you choose.

Soft food is 3 meals a day. My soft food stage starts Friday xxx

Last edited:
Can you weigh your food? make sure each meal is no more than 4oz. At 3 weeks that is plenty for you pouch in one go. I was having 2oz of protein, 1oz each of veg and carb.
I still cant eat more than 5oz in one go, my sleeve just says NO!

Kim

Thank you for the replies.
I will weigh my food in future, i have never been told anything about how much to eat esp nothing about having 4ozs.
Feel a little :( that this kind of information which is important wasn't given to me.

Thanks for this thread and all the replies.

Due to start my Puree stage on Sunday so the info will come in handy.

daisy2002 said:
Thank you for the replies.
I will weigh my food in future, i have never been told anything about how much to eat esp nothing about having 4ozs.
Feel a little :( that this kind of information which is important wasn't given to me.

Check out the BOSPA website :)

I just spoke to the dietitian who said that im not supposed to be on soft food & that i need to be on pureed food.

The thing is, their booklet says pureed/soft regime ..... which doesn't exactly make it clear, not happy with their information.

She said i'm not allowed scrambled egg & i'm to have running porridge or weetabix for breakfast. Lunch has to be root vegetables mashed with the back of a fork with gravy & dinner can be a cottage pie type meal (which is what i've been eating) but i have to puree it all.

I've started to get trapped wind as soon as i eat or have a small cup of bouillon :(
She said its because i'm eating too fast..... this is not possible as i'm using a teaspoon and only putting a tiny bit of food on it each time. I had half a tin of soup yesterday and had to heat it up 2 times as it got cold as the trapped wind was stopping me eating and because i was eating so little at a time.

I asked about portion sizes but she doesn't work in weights and can only advise me on how much to eat by tablespoons :confused: weights are easier to work with imo.

Hi Daisy
i`m in the same boat as you, i was told 4 weeks on the liquid diet then onto soft foods, well like you i found that soft food wouldn`t go down no matter how much i mashed or chewed, 1 spoonfull and i was done, this morning I had 1 wheaterbix lots of milk and it still took me an hour to finish it, so I think i will go back to liquidised food for the time being.
Why not come along to the next Chelsfield meeting, meet some great people with good advice
Tiny.

Hi Daisy
i`m in the same boat as you, i was told 4 weeks on the liquid diet then onto soft foods, well like you i found that soft food wouldn`t go down no matter how much i mashed or chewed, 1 spoonfull and i was done, this morning I had 1 wheaterbix lots of milk and it still took me an hour to finish it, so I think i will go back to liquidised food for the time being.
Why not come along to the next Chelsfield meeting, meet some great people with good advice
Tiny.

WE were told only 1/2 a weetabix at first until the next stage then it was afull one, could be why its taking so long to eat big difference between half n full 1. It nice with warm milk on these cold damp days xx:p

Hi Daisy
Tiny.

Hi TinyTim :wavey:
The hospital didn't give me information on the stages or what food to eat, the company i went through sent me the information but their information isn't helpful at all.
The dietitian said that Mr Hasani says 4wks on liquids but they suggest 3 weeks.
I would love to come along to a meeting but i'm nearly 2 hours drive away which would be a nightmare with 5 kids.
I thought scrambled egg would have been fine esp as its very soft and i chew it alot.

I'm worried about getting enough protein as i struggle to drink milk.

I hate the trapped wind, its very uncomfortable. I can't eat any more until i burp :eek:

Hows your recovery going Tinytim? I tried to pm you a few weeks ago but i don't think your account is set up to receive messages :)

Hi Daisy

I`m not doing to bad, no pain, wounds still a bit itchy and i`ve lost 7 kilos since coming home, how about you?

I`m going moaning a bit my reasons are first when i went into hospital i was was in size 44" jeans a week later I had to buy 42`s, they lasted for another 2 weeks now into 40`s, all my trousers and jackets have gone in the bin, this weight loosing business is costing me fortune, second I tend not to finish my food ( I don`t feel full I just tend to loose interest) so quite a lot goes in the bin or just runs out of date before i get to it.

I also have had a few problems with different foods as you say having to burp before the next bite, so now I have re-named my pouch Kevin after the petulant teenager, stamping it`s feet when it can`t get it`s own way.

As for soft food I tend to blend meat & veg with a lot of liquid be it gravy or another sauce and i add couple of scoops skimmed milk power to bring up the overall protein level,
but If I make it too thick or i swallow too big a mouthful i get a pain in the middle of my back like a fist which is not much fun and i just have to wait for it to pass, a lesson learnt the hard way.

I did get a message from you via WLS and it asked me to tick the yes box if i agreed which i did but i have no idea what to do after that, i did send them an email asking them if they would pass on my email but i don`t suppose they have.

anyway I`m not one to keep rabbiting on, (yeah right).

So keep me updated on your progress and good luck

Tiny

Hi Tim.
Wow you've done so well :happy096:
I lost 9lbs the 1st week, 3lbs the next & nothing in the 3rd week & i don't think i'm gonna lose this week either :confused:

I am on pureed food now, had half a weetabix for breakfast, half a tin of pureed lentil soup & i'll have quorn mince, veg and gravy for dinner.
Got some whey powder today to try & add to some yogurt as i'm hardly getting any protein.

Can i ask, where did you get your information on your diet from? My company are pretty rubbish & not helpful. My husband spoke to Sheila today & she said to try whey powder but said that they don't really give out information on what i should be eating :(
Have you been told how much protein or calories you should aim for a day?

I need to start exercising, i'm such a lazy cow :eek: but i feel so tired all day but Sheila said thats probably because i'm not getting enough protein.

Thanks for that link, very helpful :)

Back