• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New person looking for any info you can give!

UnicornTrump

Hi Everyone!

My name is Staci, I'm 27 years old and live in Sheffield.

I'm only 3 more appointments away from my surgery referral, I've been on Tier 3 for just shy of 9 months.

I will be referred to Sheffield hospital for my surgery.

I'm 6ft tall but weigh 21st 6lb. My starting weight was 23st 1lb, so I've managed to lose 1st 9lb so far. I have pcos as well as a blood clotting disorder (Leiden factor 5) which means I clot too easily.

I've been asked to start thinking about which type of surgery I would like, I've been given some info leaflets on gastric band, bypass and a sleeve. So far I'm leaning towards the sleeve, as this seems to have fewer complications?

My goal weight is 11st 7lb so I have another 10st to go. I was wondering if anyone had any further info on the types of surgery they have had, what kind of results they got and what their food lifestyle was like post surgery, did any complications arise etc.

Really looking forward to hearing from you!

Hello and warm welcome to another newbie best advise I can give you is research research reseach , do you know what type of eater you are ? Each surgery offers different rates of weight lose have a look around on this site as loads of useful views on each option and loads of stuff on the internet about each options
good luck with the homework and reaching the best decision for you !

Hi los!

Thanks for replying ☺️.

I am definitely an emotional eater, when I'm sad I struggle to eat but when I'm happy and settling down to watch a movie, or going out with friends/family I can eat way way too much and of all the wrong things.

I've spent the last 9 months getting that under control though and I'm much more rigid on 3 meals a day and trying to eat less. I do still have the occasional day though where I'm always hungry, usually around the time of the month.

Yeah that's what I'm doing at the moment just trying to take in as much info as I can and read what people have been through who have actually had it done.

Thanks again for the warm welcome x

If quantity is an issue then look into sleeve

Hey I'm 6ft also. My start weight was 31st 12lb and I had the sleeve on April 25th this year. I weighed 302.lb on 1st October (not weighing until 1st Nov so can't say what I am now). I think that was 21st 8lb or there abouts anyway.

Best decision ever and I'm still losing. Definitely worth having the sleeve and minus s few hiccups I don't regret it. I'm 24 and finally feel like I'm living the life I deserve :) x

Hello and good luck on your journey :)

I had the sleeve after doing lots of research as I was sent information about the 'By-Band' study which is done at some hospitals, Bristol being the one that set it up. You get no choice if you take part, so I wanted to be sure that if I said yes, then I was happy with whatever I got.

I decided not to take part for the following reasons:

Band - takes longer to lose the weight, and easier to cheat, plus lots of trips to hospital for a re-fill, which is a consideration if you live a very long way from a hospital that does it.

Bypass - issues of mal-absorption of nutrients, and I had enough problems with that already from another condition.

Chose the sleeve as it seemed to mitigate the above issues, and also it was permanent. I liked the fact that it was just a smaller version of what I had.

Interestingly when I joined this Forum over a year ago, I was reading very few posts about sleeves, whereas now most recent posts, including fellow September oppers, have been sleeves so it is becoming more popular (both NHS and private), whereas I was told it was more in third place last year.

There is plenty of info on the web, and you can find info on the By Band Study, but make sure it is recent. Spire Hospitals who do lots of WLS also give lots of info about the different procedures which I found helpful.

8 weeks out and my only problem really is constipation, which can happen with any of them if you can't get enough water in for a while.

Back