• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What other health problems do you have?

Gerry

For those who don't mind answering... I'm just wondering what other health problems other people may have, and if they are affected by your weight problems, if you have had your op, have they improved.

Has anyone who has had their op encountered any new health problems since having it?

Did your other health problems cause you any difficulties when you were in hospital with regards to medication, mobility, getting staff to understand your other health concerns?

Personally, I have HMS (Hypermobility Syndrome) and EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) which means I have difficulties walking, standing, moving, holding things, balancing etc. My joints are very weak. Indoors, I walk depending on how I am each day, either unaided, or with crutches, or sometimes an indoor wheelchair. Outdoors I have to use a scooter. Am worried about trying to get about in hospital as I won't know distances from bed to bathroom and know I will need to keep my legs active to avoid problems. Also worried that they won't allow either my wheelchair or scooter in the ward, or that I'll get some 'know it all' nurse who says everyone has to walk to theatre etc and not take note of my problems.

I've also been told I'm borderline diabetic, although I frequently suffer with low blood sugar attacks. However, saying that, since putting myself on Slim-Fast, I've not had any (touch wood). Had one megga one when I initially put myself on my 'healthy eating diet' prior to Slim-Fast, but none since. Am worried about them after having the op, and how they will change and how I will tell them apart from 'dumping' which has the same symptoms.

I've also been told at various hospitals and when I've been scraped up by ambulances a few times :rolleyes: that I have an abnormal heart rhythm. Hope that doesn't put them off operating on me, although I've had more operations in my life than I've had hot dinners, so don't see why this one should be any different.

I suffer from very high blood pressure and very heavy periods (to the point where I've again been carted off in an ambulance - ho hum!). Hoping the periods will stop soon anyway (I'll be 47 in April) or that they may at least not give me so much hassle.

I'm also allergic to detergents/creams and loads of other things and have a really bad spice allergy. This is making me panic as often in hospitals, you can smell the dinners being taken round. I'm worried that they may serve up a curry to someone nearby which can be very dangerous for me. I have asian neighbours who are always cooking curries and we have to rush round closing all our windows, doors and window vents (even in summer :() to keep the smell out. I have anti-histamines but not sure if I will be able to take them.

Would be interesting to hear what other problems you all have and if you have any concerns or if things have got better or worse after the op.

Hi gerry, i had type 2 diabetes which was controlled initially with insulin and then by metformin. since losing my weight this is now controlled by diet alone.

i also have hypertension. this has improved slightly but i still need to take medication for this. i am hoping that it will continue to improve.

i also have PCOS and since the weight loss my symptoms of this have improved significantly. i no longer have prolonged, heavy and painful periods and the hair growth has reduced also.

so all in all alot more postive health wise x

Hiya!

What an great thread, it is great to hear that your health problems have improoved tammy- that rocks!! :D

I have got Hypermobility Syndrome (HMS) and Ehlers Danlos type 111 (EDS) too, which is caused by a lac of collagen in the body. I get chronic pain 24/7 all over my body, it feels like a really bad deep achey pains.

I used to walk with crutces, but recently i have been trying without them since coming back off a pain management course and been manageing OK and only need them on a really bad day.

I also suffer from Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) which is when the sympathetic nervous system goes into overdrive and the pain messages go crazy and overfire, it feels like shooting/stabbing burning pains. I get it in my hands and feet.

I also suffer from incontinence, i get stabbing shooting pains going up my uretha 24/7 and can randomly wet myself - they think it is all just part of my pain syndrome, have not really had a diagnosis for this one- bit of a mystery. It does make me feel insecure, but i just wear dark clothes and have to get on with it!

Those are the main things really- i do also get heart palpatations and reflux.

Doctors have been telling me for years to loose weight, so i am looking forward to after the operation to when i start loosing! It will be better for my health, it will put less pressure on my joints and i will be so much happier and more confident.

It has taken me ages to type this post- pain is bad today!!

Xxx Lizzie xxX

Oh gerry- i was going to say that i get sensitive skin too. I can't use most soaps, i use jhonsons baby sensitive soap, it is brilliant!! Also the doc prescribed oilatum (sp?!) junior to put in the bath, which i descovered when i was in hospital actually!! hehehe, but it is great stuff - makes the bath slippy so you have to be carefull but moisturises your skin and you can use it to wash in too.
But johnsons baby sensitive products rock too, and i somtimes use simple if they do not have it in stock (i have tested them all ;) !! )
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Lizzie, the health issues you have sound really difficult to manage. sorry you are having a bad day pain wise. hope it gets easier.

i forgot to mention depression. i have had this on and off since suffering miscarriages in 1999. i have also had bouts following the birth of my 2 children. since the bypass my mood is alot more stable and although i still have bad days they are just that not weeks of being low! i know alot of this is down to my improvement in my self esteem and that but it really has got easier x

great threat, bless you. I hope you receive the help you need as you deserve it. Best of luck I wish I could help you but you.

Well lets start on my list. my husband actually asks "what wrong with you today" as he walks through the door. i have very high blood pressure that i take two tablets daily for, but it is not always in control. i had to give up my office job as i get chronic pain in back shoulders and neck, (sitting here causes problems but i can stop and start at my pace) had many treatments ie physio, osteopath. steroid injections. acupuncture. pain management clinics. and numerous others. all doctors have said different things. fatigue which am not sure if is linked to all the pain or from being fat. chest pains which again has seen me in A and E on many occasions, had all heart tests done, ecg. ecg stress test. echocardiagram. all fine. this last year breathing problems have kicked in i get out of breath, after walking only a few yards, and i have always walked everywhere . headaches, jesus look at this list i am beginning to wonder if hypochondria should come next lol. generalyy feel pretty bad 80% of the time. and i think my weight problem if not the cause of all of these, does not help any. so why am i still fat? i am intelligent, i know i must lose weight, i know how to lose weight. but i dont, it beats me... and this is a brilliant thread. we all share such similar problems, that hopefully we can overcome. Bridie X

Hi all,

I deliberately didn't post here yesterday, but I can't remember why now, so I'll do it today.

Here's my list, and any changes since op.

Systemic Lupus (SLE) - no change, but is not in flare.
Hughes Syndrome (APS/PAS) - less headaches
Interstitial Nephritus - Kidneys not excreting protein or blood at last check, first time in 16 years.
Fibromyalgia - No change
IBS - settled humungously, although I attribute a lot of this to Benefibre
Postoral Hypotension - this has actually worsened unfortunately, but is liveable
Psoriasis - no change :(
Psoriatric Arthritus - pain levels have decreased, mobility had improved.
Iritus/Uveitus - no change

Sure I've forgotten something. Anywho, some things have improved, some things haven't. I've managed to develop a problem with my ankle which I'm waiting to see an orthopaedic surgeon for.

I was considered high risk for surgery, mainly cos of the Hughes Syndrome, as it makes me a very high DVT risk, but I was fine.

iv been very lucky compared to some v just read i have endometriosis which they wont treat as they wouldnt operate due to my weight
i have a damaged achillies tendon which although will improve once my weigh reduces wont ever get better

I have high blood pressure controlled by three different tablets a day. Sleep apnea which gives me dreadful headaches and migraines. Breathlessness that I have to say has already started to improve less than two weeks post op.

I have noticed if I forget my BP meds I feel no different whereas before if I forgot them for one day I would feel lousy by time the afternoon came....hope this is a sign that I wont be needing them for ever...xx

First off.....thank you all for being brave enough to list your health problems. I know only too well that it's not something that's easy to do as we worry that others may read and be critical about what may seem to them like 'whinging on', but this forum is full of such truly understanding people I thought it was worth a shot. Anywhere else and the 'hyperchondria' comments would have abounded by now, so once again thank you all for being so open and honest.

Reading through some of the problems that some of you experience, made me realise that I'd missed some off my own list. I think we get to the stage where we tend to forget all the things we have wrong with us as there are so many.

I can add to mine:

Terrible memory - my daughters can tell me something they need for school and I will have totally forgotten it 5 minutes later.

Depression - lived with that most of my life. Was recently told that I could be Bipolar because one day I can be on top of the world and the next wanting to stop the world and get off.

High Cholesterol - so I was told after some blood tests by the GP.

Raw peeling skin in my groin area and along my c-section scar where a fold of skin rubs. I'm hoping they may agree to skin removal after I've lost weight as this has been a mega problem for me every month for nearly 15 years since having necrotising fasciitis after giving birth to my youngest. It always flares up a day or two before my period is due and is agony.

IBS - looking at some foods sets me running for the loo, and I also end up in there if I am nervous about going out.

Panic attacks - can't stand crowds, groups, even getting out the door to take the kids to school can sometimes be a nightmare.

Lizzie...I've found I can use Johnsons baby products or Imperial Leather, nothing else. Even E45 cream/aqueous cream can make my hands swell in minutes. Hubby had to put some on my daughter once and although he washed his hands, he got some caught under his wedding ring and when he then held my hand my own hand ballooned in minutes :(.

I really can empathise with the pains from HMS & EDS too. I was aparently always a grumpy baby and couldn't settle. It was first picked up at 5 years old but misdiagnosed twice and I spent over a year in hospital at one stretch, all of which was fruitless as operations such as they were doing only make this condition worse.

Bridie.....my hubbie asks me the same thing about what's troubling me. Not in a sarcastic way, but because he knows the pain is genuine. Sometimes he gets really frustrated as he simply doesn't know what to do to help me with the pain. Sadly, all my children have the same thing, and it looks like all my grandchildren will too, and that makes me feel guilty.

Three accidents in the past eight years haven't helped, dislocating my knee (the one I had all the ops on), breaking my ankle and leg (again same leg) and the speed hump injury to my back, have all made the situation worse. I hope loosing weight will help in at least some areas, if not all.

It's been really interesting to read that so many people who also have weight problems, also suffer with very similar other problems, and also to hear that several of them have had positive improvements after weight loss surgery :).

Keep them coming ladies (and gents!).

Diabetes Type 2 - now under control with diet. Readings in the normal range due to weight loss.

PCOS

IBS - Much improved with smaller food intake and healthier choices

Rubbish Knees and ankles, sometime suffer with odema.

My health problems are mainly connected with Fibromyglia, aching muscles and joint areas definite connection with grains.
Also mental health re obession with food items and eating which needs so much work doing now as i get the Gastric Ballon,but prepared to give it 100%............Ava

Hi gerry, i had type 2 diabetes which was controlled initially with insulin and then by metformin. since losing my weight this is now controlled by diet alone.

i also have hypertension. this has improved slightly but i still need to take medication for this. i am hoping that it will continue to improve.

i also have PCOS and since the weight loss my symptoms of this have improved significantly. i no longer have prolonged, heavy and painful periods and the hair growth has reduced also.

so all in all alot more postive health wise x

My list mirrors Tammy's with a few added but I am still in the first month post-op

1) insulin issues treated w/metformin - I am now down to one dose a day instead of 2!

2) hypertension, haven't checked it yet but I haven't had daily ankle swell only on exertion!

3) PCOS, only had one cycle since surgery but it was lighter and less painful

4) Pseudo-tumor (swelling on brain) and migraines that used to happen 2 days per week now I have only had one acute attack in 23 days!

5) Exertion and allergy induced asthma which has not shown any improvement yet

6) Artritis of the cervical spine & sciatic nerve damage both of which were treated with NSAID (can't take anymore???)

7) IBS which is controlled by my diet (yippie)

8) Keratosis Pilaris/Rubia Faceii (dry bumpy skin condition on my arms, legs &torso which also makes my face and eyebrows 'blush' and is itchy) - the regular vits & good hydration post-op has helped improve my skin a bit

For what it is worth, in the 23 days since surgery my health has already improved somewhat.:D

Hi ya

I have a Lower back problem which causes me mobility problems and lots of pain - This is from an accident I had as a 7 year old child. it was made worse by the op initially as I was substituting using my stomach muscles.
I have servere Irritable Bowel Syndrome, havent had a pain flare since the op. But I have spasms and bowel trouble still.
I have heat urticarea which has only started since the op! But it isn't related!
Depression - I have been off prozac for 2 weeks now and am feeling very well mentally.

I usually have bad PMT but its not reared its ugly head this month did have a more painful time though....but would prefer that to the whole roller coaster of emotions...xx

Ive also suffered with Benine Intercranial Hypertension this year and spent time in hopsital with it. This is a build up of pressure in the spinal fluid which in turn causes pressure on the brain and gives you intense head pain. I needed Lumber punctures to release fluid and pressure but really suffered with pain for ages. This was due to me being an obease young female. So hopefully, because thats when I was at my heaviest, I will not get it again.

Back