• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

why are there different pre op diets?

yasmine-samara

Hi there,

I am currently following a pre op diet and I am on day 2 and all is going well so far.
I just wanted to ask why people who have been to different hospital get given different pre op diets. I have heard of the milk diet, my friend went to leeds and didn't need to do one and another friend went to Macclesfield and her pre op diet was far more restricted than mine.
I understand the purpose of the pre op diet and the importance of following it and I will to the letter, I just wanted to ask if anyone knew why patients who are pretty much having the same surgery done are being given different eating plans to follow to achieve the same end result!!!!!

Hi there,

It really does just boil down to the surgeons preferred method of choice. The aim is too shrink the liver and all the diets mentioned on here and the internet do that.

I was given the choice of two, I went for the one where I could still enjoy some solid food...;):D

If you stick to the diet you have been given then your liver will shrink, it is very rare that someone sticks to it 100% and still has a fatty liver afterwards. Your surgeon will have chosen the diet he gave you because he's used it before and found it works.

Actual weight loss depends on the individual, as it is mostly glycogen that you are losing, not fat, and each individual stores different amounts of glycogen. Average seems to be 10-14lbs in the first week and 7-14lbs in the second.

I lost 8lbs but I didnt stick to it 100% as I did it over xmas and wanted my xmas dinner

Thanks guys for all your help.

After 2 days I have only lost 3lb so far but it has been my TOTM. That should be finished by tomorrow I hope so the rest of the weight should start to move quicker. I will have been doing for 3 weeks when I have my surgery so I'm hoping that will be long enough!!!

hi all,
if you have diabetes and take medication or insulin, you are advised to choose plan 2, not the milky option. lean meat or fish and complex carbs.

nick

i did a slimfast type pre op diet called opti-fast and the sachets were provided by my surgery group (included in the price)...i lost 23lbs on them. good luck to you x

Thank you

Back