• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre op diet??

clairelou

Do you think it makes a difference if you do a different pre op diet to the one given by your dietician?

I was reading about the milk one that some people are given & i much prefer that to the one given to me...as its simpler & easier to follow.

As long as it serves the purpose of shrinking your liver the methos shouldn`t make a difference should it :confused:

I'd check with the dietician if I were you, it would be horrible to go through those 2 weeks and then be told you couldn't have the surgery! can you give her a ring?

I think it also depends on the surgeon as to what you have to do. My surgeon's words were "its pretty horrible" but I guess can tell how serious someone is about the op if they survive the 2 week pre-op diet!!
I would personally always check before making any changes.

i think my doc does bovril and jelly. Both of which i love :) so I'm quite excited about mine!

This is what i was given and although it seems quite varied & filling compared to those others have..it seems like it will still take thought to plan the meals & i`d rather do something more straight forward & regimented as i have enough to think about with the surgery coming up.

Another thought is this seems like alot of bulky food to eat before bowel surgery

pre op diet

4 a day from meat,chicken, fish, eggs,beans (portion 1/2)

milk & dairy 100g cottage cheese, 2oz low fat spread,
75ml natural yoghurt
unlimited fruit juice

2 portions of fruit fresh, frozen or tinned
2 portions of vegetables (NOT sweetcorn,broad or baked beans)
1 portion of bread or potatoes
1.5 litres of fluid tea/coffee (milk from allowance) sugar free or diet drinks

can you get your portions ready in advance and put them all on a tray in the fridge? I think that's what I'd do. That way you can take what you want off the tray and you can see very visually what you have left if that makes sense.

It will work, they will have been using that diet for a long time :)

Hiya

I did a different one than the one i was given, I didnt consult the dietician but that was only cause i didnt want her to say n and plus my dietician is pretty useless LOL

The one she gave me meant i was eating loads i couldnt cope with it so i ended up doing the milk one............. i found that one far easier!!!

thanx mandy...it seems like loads on the one thay gave me to..so that was my thinking on why the milk one would be better lol

I just couldnt manage all the food.......... i have never eaten that amount before and it felt like i was eating all the time, where as the milk diet i was always full and i enjoy milk too

so whats the verdict? did you ring the dietician or are you just going to do the milk one?

i called her...she said they do the milk one for people with higher bmi`s than me but if i chose to do it it won`t make any difference lol

i`m going with the milk one!

good luck then :) think I'd like the milk one but milk flares my IBS so wouldn't be great!

Well i`m going to start it tomorrow & do it 8 days...gotta detox my liver off hols last week anyways hehe

hey claire my msn is [email protected] (i think lol) if you want to add me, my surgery is just over 2 weeks after yours so would be good to chat!

Back