• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wls and binge eating

vanda

Have been reading all your posts with interest. I'm going to an open evening tomorrow at the Spire Hospital Cardiff, to get info on gastric banding.

My main problem with eating is comfort eating and binging large amounts of food - can be anything, crisps, cheese, meats, bread and butter, sweets , ice cream the list goes on and on:eek:

Does anyone have experience of how wls affects this? I was hoping wls would stop me from being able to do this as I havent been able to stop any other way. But now am worried that I would be having an expensive operation and still eating too much - I had cheered myself up with the thought that i could afford the op by what I would save on food:confused:

Any thoughs gratefully received so I can ponder until I go tomorrow.

Vanda

Hi Vanda, you will get loads of info and advice at your meeting and then you will be able to make an informed choice after weighing up the pro's and con's of each op.

I had the band and am very happy with it so far. Good luck for meeting. You might meet Dr Haboubi who runs the NHS Weight Man clinic in Nanty-glo - he also works with people at the Spires. x

You will get advice from the psychologist or surgeon how to cope with those episodes, because the mental feeling of wanting to overeat does not go away if someone has had surgery, but obviously physically it would be difficult or sometimes dangerous to overeat to a large extent that someone could do pre-surgery.

You will get advice from the psychologist or surgeon how to cope with those episodes, because the mental feeling of wanting to overeat does not go away if someone has had surgery, but obviously physically it would be difficult or sometimes dangerous to overeat to a large extent that someone could do pre-surgery.

Lady in London and Quetiapina has pretty much summed up what I would have said.

If these are issues you have now, they will still be there post surgery unless you address them, preferably with professional help.

Ask all the questions you want tomorrow...it's your night to find out all you need.

Good luck

Let us know how you got on.

(((hugs)))

It has certainly helped me, I think one thing it does is give you hope that it is possible for you to regain control. It's a helping hand as opposed to a no brainer if you know what I mean. It has taken work to get organised and adhere to a plan for me personally, but what it has done is give me the means to stick to a plan successfully. You can't binge like you used to whatever surgery you go for. I soon learnt not to overeat and it's not pleasant throwing up after going a bit too fast or chanceing a little too much. I would say that certainly for me, wls has been the only thing to ensure I CANNOT binge.
I have counselling too and do hypnosis regularly. The urge can still be there at times but with the op you have damage limitation and a fighting chance to avoid bingeing. I said to the surgeon that one of the main reasons I wanted my surgery was to literally not be physically able to binge, the emotional side is being dealt with, but literally not being able to reknew the damage by the binge food going in at all has helped so much.
You see the pounds go and you start to believe that you can be saved as well, no matter how hopeless you felt before. I even can visualise myself as a slim person in the future now, until the OP I never really believed it would ever happen.
I now feel more confident that binges are in the past and I can trust myself. I hope that helps anyway xxxxx You aren't alone

only advice i can give is to be honist and open about your eating habbits as thay will then be able to offer you the right opp to suit you i was told with my eating habbits bypass was best...jeff

Thanks all for the replies

Overeating and weight loss is such an emotional subject for me what ever way I try to deal with it. Like Neen says I was hoping that wls would physically stop me from overeating while I deal with the reasons why i overeat - many and complex I guess. Will let you know how I get on.

Vanda

Back