• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Desperately Seeking WLS

what a bummer. i wonder if it is because it is a new barictric service that has been set up that they are doing it this way to ensure that funding is there to cover all the costs of tests, bloods ,urine, sleep apnia psycologist etc in case once you have seen dr new it is refused and the hospital is left with the bill for the tests. Doesnt help your current situation but makes it a little clearer as to why they may be doing it this way.
hope yr funding comes through
HC

Thanks HC, it makes it clearer. Is there any official info you are aware of that describes the service and procedures? I hate being out of the loop as I want to know whats happening , where and who is doing what and when.
xxx

sorry no not that i know of but my friend who had a bypass went to her gp asking him to apply for funding for a band . she met the nice criteria for our PCT. funding was granted and her asked her where she wanted it done and gave her a choice of 3. She opted for leeds went for a pre op consultation was told she needed to have a bypass not band and then 2 weeks later had her op. Although they did her bloods she has not had any other tests and i personally think that that is a shoddy way to go about it. Shes really struggling and there doesnt appear to be any ongoing care for her.
I have looked at every test / appointment i have had as being like a safety net to ensure im doing this for me and for the right reasons.
Although it seems like a long drawn out process its feels like it has been a safe one.
HTH
hc

hi
i am in irlam and come under the 6 months weight management pathway which i started yesterday. i will then be referred to hope hospital have a 24 hour urine test sleep apnea test and see a shrink...
i have been told allin all that it will take 12 months.
not happy but nothing i can do.
i have been overweight for 20 years been on xenical for 3 years on and off. trie reductil...
now i am still on xenical for 6 months and on a 62gram fat a day diet .......
oh well at least it is a step the right way
x

I agree it's a step in the right direction and you know if it fails then they will offer you the surgery and if it works you will be losing weight so a win win situation just one that will take time. I am the worlds most inpatient person so I know how long it will feel for you. Keep your chin up and the six months will fly by and you will know everything there is to know about the surgery and be well organised....keep us posted chick...xx

hi
i am in irlam and come under the 6 months weight management pathway which i started yesterday. i will then be referred to hope hospital have a 24 hour urine test sleep apnea test and see a shrink...
i have been told allin all that it will take 12 months.
not happy but nothing i can do.
Thanks for that. I more than half suspect that I might be asked to do a formal period of weight management through the GP. I have restarted the Cambridge diet (03/11) and the CDC will inform the surgery. I need to lose at least 5 stone quickly (I will still be morbidly obese) because over the last 7 or so weeks, my lower back has started to suffer under the burden. The threat of disability of any kind is what spurred me to seek wls in the first place.

• Are you attending any weight management centre. If so which one and is there a waiting period?
  • or is your GP monitoring the weight management.
  • Did the fact that you've tried other things to lose weight ie xenical for 3 years not count to eliminate the 6 month pathway?
  • Do you think doing the cambridge diet with a GP's knowledge will count as weight management?
  • So many questions, please bear with me.
xxx

Last edited:
I agree it's a step in the right direction and you know if it fails then they will offer you the surgery and if it works you will be losing weight so a win win situation just one that will take time. I am the worlds most inpatient person so I know how long it will feel for you. Keep your chin up and the six months will fly by and you will know everything there is to know about the surgery and be well organised....keep us posted chick...xx
Charlie I agree with this. However my problem is that I can lose the weight and I have done so with most of the methods I've tried but not enough for optimal health and then failing to sustain the weight loss. I've spent my life losing the same 5 or 6 stone and putting it back on with a bit extra each time. I felt surgery would physically force my body to break my duck and make it possible for me to reach my ideal weight and hopefully give me the motivation to keep it off. I know I will lose weight on the Cambridge diet and if 12 months down the road I am 10 - 12 stone lighter through weight management, I would still feel I need a gastric band as a weight management tool. Hopefully I won't sabotage myself just because I'm so set on wls.
xx

Hi Plus you sound so positive and I know what you mean about losing it but then the fear it will come back. Would it be a possibility that whilst your following the CD that you could start to save so you could eventually fund the band yourself if funding is refused? I know there is no way I could fund my op myself unless I won the lottery lol...good luck and I will follow your progress...xx

Hi Plus you sound so positive and I know what you mean about losing it but then the fear it will come back. Would it be a possibility that whilst your following the CD that you could start to save so you could eventually fund the band yourself if funding is refused? I know there is no way I could fund my op myself unless I won the lottery lol...good luck and I will follow your progress...xx
My goodness Charlie, are you a mind reader. I'm expecting to start work in February 09 and I was just working out a savings schedule to raise money for a band myself. Great minds ey! :)

hi i had my first app with dr.anew and was told ii could have the surgery, i had a sleep apnia test done but havnt had results yet of it but recived a phone call to say i have to attend a wls forum at whalley range spire hospital on saturday, then i have my second app with dr.anew. i was told i was looking about april or within 18 weeks depending on my sleep apnia test x

hi i had my first app with dr.anew and was told ii could have the surgery, i had a sleep apnia test done but havnt had results yet of it but recived a phone call to say i have to attend a wls forum at whalley range spire hospital on saturday, then i have my second app with dr.anew. i was told i was looking about april or within 18 weeks depending on my sleep apnia test x

Hi Leanne,

It's been a while since I've been on this thread. I'm not so organised so I've been creating new threads for updates. I should probably stick to one.

Once the initial problems as to what comes first (the funding or the consultation at Salford) were sorted, things seem to have moved ahead smoothly and dare I say quite fast. I eventually saw Dr. Syed who works with Dr. New just before Christmas. I was trying hard to be patient and to avoid thinking about WLS funding that I was more than pleasantly surprised when a letter arrived within a month of seeing Dr. Syed telling me that my funding had been approved and that I had been referred to a surgeon (Mr. Ammori). I've also got a sleep test appointment for mid February. Dr. Syed had suggested that if the funding process went smoothly (which it has) then I could expect my surgery no later than April. We might be in together then. I'm already reducing my weight and since seeing Dr. Syed, I have lost 22lbs. The reason is that I want to make the surgery as safe for me as I can. I'm also secretly hoping that if there is an earlier cancellation, I will be in the right condition to be considered. I'm just hoping the sleep test works out okay.
xxx

HI
I am now 3 months into my weight management course, I am back on teh 10th feb then have 2 more visits.
I go to Walkden Gateway.
I come under salford PCT.
The fact I have been on Xenical all this time did nothing to shorten the 6 month course. They just said this is the "pathway"
When I last went to see teh dietician they said that I coudl expect the op to be done for September / October. as the waiting was not much.
I have to let my GP know monthly my weight so stay on xenical (arghh)
Just hopeing the next 3 months fly by then I know what is happening
I just want to be thin and happy xx

HI
I am now 3 months into my weight management course, I am back on teh 10th feb then have 2 more visits.
I go to Walkden Gateway.
I come under salford PCT.
The fact I have been on Xenical all this time did nothing to shorten the 6 month course. They just said this is the "pathway"
When I last went to see teh dietician they said that I coudl expect the op to be done for September / October. as the waiting was not much.
I have to let my GP know monthly my weight so stay on xenical (arghh)
Just hopeing the next 3 months fly by then I know what is happening
I just want to be thin and happy xx
Hi hun

First off congrats for your weightloss so far. You are doing fab. Maybe it's my age but time seems to be flying by so fast that I think your 3 months more on weight management will pass quite quickly. The great side of doing weight management is that you will be in a better condition for surgery so it's a positive step in the right direction.
xxx

Back