• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS - no fairy tale?

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
Well I agree that losing weight wont change your life, just your health. Its up to you to do what you can with the new body.

i am not expecting everything to fall into my lap, but I am expecting a healther life with less aches and pains.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, cheers for that, interesting read although imho, I think this is a clever piece of 'spin' (cr*p) if ever I read it...

I don't recall anybody telling me 'all my troubles would be over' if I have WLS....I know I am still going to be the same peron with the same daily sh*t to deal with, but at least I would be without the 'fat issues'....surely the point of having WLS in the first place?

Jen Larsen feels she got no support...perhaps she wasn't lucky enough to know of any WLS forums in her area? I personally think: what more support could I expect, than to be able to read about and converse with others up & down the country, who have openly and candidly discussed the highs and lows of their personal experiences with WLS, throughout their whole journey...

I don't think anyone here has signed up for getting a 'perfect life' post-op....have you? From what I can tell, everyone on here seems to be a grounded sensible lot, but for one reason or another, have eneded up being fat (me included, I hasten to add)....but with a lot of soul-searching, time, hard work & support, got (or will get) just what they signed up for....to be 'normal'...not to be 'fat' anymore and most importantly, to reduce or get rid of the co-morbidities we suffer from when morbidly obese...result = reduced risk of early death from obesity-related diseases, a better quality of life and the prospect of a (much) longer, healthier life with our loved-ones.....I can't see what more could be hoped for...or expected?
Just my opinion anyway....

I think this person expected a magic wand to be waved by losing weight!

I think she mis-sold herself a dream, nobody has ever told me that my life will be fantastic when i'm slimmer. But then it's not so bad now, i'm just fat!

I agree that fat people are sold a fairytale about being slim. Not by the weight loss surgery community, but society in general. You cant really move in Britain without bumping into an advert for a diet and hearing about how life is better when youre slim. We see loads about slim people having lots of fun simply because they are slim or because they were fat and are now slim. You have doctors telling you that if only you were slim you would suffer less ailments.
I dont just mean in surgical weight loss, I mean the whole weight loss 'thing', people ARE sold a story of life being great simply because youre skinnier.
Sense tells most people that losing weight alone wont make life perfect.
But society DOES try to make out that if only fat people could get slim then most of their problems would be solved.
I personally think that everyone going into surgical weight loss should be sent to this forum, if it wasnt for this forum then I would be in a much less positive and well balanced place, so I think that support like this should be mandatory.
Anyway, my head isnt on straight today so I dont think I am making much sense, but there you go lol
Steph xx

Steph - you couldn't have said it more eloquently ! And I agree with you wholeheartedly.

So much sense being spoken here. Life is all about choices but some choices are easier than others. In general, I think we are all people who weren't able to make the choice to eat in moderation and we have paid the price, but now we can make the choice of going for surgery and then you can play the odds game. Currently, I have a one in 5 chance of having a major cardio-vascular event in the next 10 years. Not good odds. I am choosing to have surgery - it still has risks but the odds are much better ! I don't worry too much about aesthetics - I've have a lifetime of being treated like a leper - but to say goodbye to a high chance of diabetes, high cholesterol, stroke, heart attack, high BP, arthritis, shortness of breath, chafing, etc etc. It's a no brainer, surely ?
Soupie.
XX

I have a great life......but I am fat and therefore restricted. I know there is no magic wand, just a helping hand to help me get started, then it's up to me.

We just have to be realistic. The baggage we have before WLS, will still be there after...................just somewhat lighter!

I agree with all of the posts so far.

As a society we are constantly being sold on the idea that slim people have perfect, happy, healthy lives, but I'm sure nobody actually believes it, just like we don't believe that Red Bull actually helps you to fly!

I do hope that my diebetes and high cholesterol will go once I have this op, but I know that it's not guaranteed. I also look forward to my knees not hurting when I've walked for more than 5 minutes, and my back not acheing because I've been standing for 15 minutes.

I'm perfectly aware that all of the same old crud which bothers me now will still bother me even if I were a size 8, but it will be one less worry in my life.

From what I've read on this forum I think everyone else on here is fully aware of that.

So true everyone! Losing weight will only change how we feel inside and how we look on the outside. Life is what we make it and after surgery we should all be grabbing it with both hands xxx

I don't think I know of anyone that was 'told' that wightloss surgery was a magic wand, however I do know plenty of people that think it is and that all their problems exist because they are fat. Also that by having the op they don't need to take responsibilty for what they eat the bypass will do it all for them. I must admit it seems to a lot less frequent occurance since weightloss surgery has become more popular, and the problems and realities are more widley known.

WLS's not a magic wand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bugger, i was hoping it would be. LOL,LOL,LOL.

I enjoyed reading this article. Made me wonder why, if her life was so perfect & her weight wasn't an issue what made her even consider surgery. Then I chuckled as I read her comment at the end......

And, despite the emotional roller coaster that followed Larsen's dramatic weight loss, she has no regrets about undergoing surgery, except one — or two. “I miss my breasts,” she says, laughing. “When I was fat, they were magnificent.”

So after all the stuff she said she doesnt regret surgery??!! Maybe I missing summit!!!

I think it depends on your motivation for WLS - mine was pure health related because I was losing mobility in my knee - I can now walk round Ingleton falls in 2hrs 8mins (recommended 2h 30min - 4 hr) so for me it is a magic wand!!!!!!! I feel amazing. I remember someone telling me (whilst I was waiting for surgery) that the suicide rate is higher for people with WLS because when they lose weight they still have their problems and no weight to blame anymore. What a load of old rubbish!!!!!! I have never spoke to anyone that has had these disillusions - WLS surgery is a tool to make us healthier - not solve the problems related to the meaning of life!!!!!!

Just a personal note to say I am thankful to God for the chance of healthiness I have been given and I intend to grab it with both hands and not waste time wallowing in the past xxx

Back