• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

xiphoid process - a question for people in medical profession

Tules

Hope someone can shed a light.

I suggested people with medical background because never heard of this bone before.

I lost over 3 stones recently, and need to loose another 8 pounds to get into healthy BMI category.
I noticed a bone between my breast bones ( googled to find that it is called xiphoidq process). It feels very prominent.
Am not sure if it was always there, or it enlarged since operation, or whether that is even possible.
Could it be something caused by operation - stomach just below it I think.

Anyone experienced this?

Oh dear this made me giggle

I had this conversation with my surgeon as it really is a large lump and I was worried it was my band. He couldn't stifle his smile when he told me its the xiphoid cartilage. It's where it should be and you should have one.

I was mortified with embarrassment

Thanks Gemma. But is it supposed to be so prominent?

So horrid to feel it, isn't it?

Thanks anyway, am reassured it is not caused by surgery, but i guess looking weight.

Hey ho.....wish my collar bones stuck out a bit more too he he

Yes how odd though. Not used to feeling it and it is just there....so weird...
Saved me calling my surgeon with a frantic call of a "growth" he he

Yup, mine is enormous but then again I've lost almost 15 stone so far. It's WIERD when I'm laid in the bath and the boobies have disappeared but there's this lump there in between where my boobs used to be. I'm just grateful I don't have a third nipple, cause knowing my luck, it would be on that lumpy bone lol x

Back