• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Xiphoid Process inflamed

chivasgirl

Hi there, I wondered if anyone else has noticed their xiphoid process has become rather prominent, or whether mine is like it purely because I've been coughing like a good 'un the last week with a nasty cold I can't shift. The xiphoid process is the little cartilage / bone at the bottom of your sternum. Mine has always been a little sore - eg when a cat walks over my chest in bed, it can be so sore it will make me shout out. Anyway, this morning I am sitting in bed with my laptop (having forgotten to put clocks back so up a bit too early!) and then noticed a very prominent bump between my boobs. It is sitting about an inch proud of its normal place.

So - has anyone else had this and is it down to weight loss or purely the coughing. It's very unattractive!! not that I'm likely to be walking around in anything which would mean people could see it!!! Either that or the dreadful coughing I've been doing for the last week has caused it to become inflamed. Fortunately have got docs appt on Tuesday anyway to try to sort my cough out too, but he can have a look at it for me then!!

That doesn't sound very nice. I think it's probably been agravated by coughing. Hot drinks, anti inflamatorys, and an ice pack would probably help. But mention it to the gp

Feel better soon

Hello

Didnt wanna read and run , hope you feel better real soon

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi there, I wondered if anyone else has noticed their xiphoid process has become rather prominent, or whether mine is like it purely because I've been coughing like a good 'un the last week with a nasty cold I can't shift. The xiphoid process is the little cartilage / bone at the bottom of your sternum. Mine has always been a little sore - eg when a cat walks over my chest in bed, it can be so sore it will make me shout out. Anyway, this morning I am sitting in bed with my laptop (having forgotten to put clocks back so up a bit too early!) and then noticed a very prominent bump between my boobs. It is sitting about an inch proud of its normal place.

So - has anyone else had this and is it down to weight loss or purely the coughing. It's very unattractive!! not that I'm likely to be walking around in anything which would mean people could see it!!! Either that or the dreadful coughing I've been doing for the last week has caused it to become inflamed. Fortunately have got docs appt on Tuesday anyway to try to sort my cough out too, but he can have a look at it for me then!!

lol my dr is used to me saying to him oh whilst im here can i just show you this and check its normal.
Got to admit when i first noticed mine it was very alarming and the fact that i had recently at atime lost my dad to cancer of the oesophagus made it all the more .
It is only noticable when lying down but like you say sticks right out and looks so weired but i havent had a cough and the dr said it was compleatly normal.

Thanks for your replies - HC, sounds like you were as surprised as me!! I might get the doc to have a quick look because it is a bit sore, and a few months back the doc sent some bloods off to test for rheumatoid arthritis because the cartilage between my ribs and sternum is often quite sore. Still, the results came back negative so maybe I am just a bit of a wimp nowadays!! haha!

Oooh Lorna - I didn't even know what a xiphoid process was! Good luck on Tuesday when you get it checked out. xx

ZC - the bony 'ard bit that 'urts if the cat stands on it!!!!! How are you doing??? Congrats on your weight loss so far!! I've lost 5st 8.75lbs so far!!! It just feels so good on every level.

lol Looks like I'm not the only one who has learnt something today :)

Xx Well done on your weightloss btw, its fantastic:)

lol-learnt something today but doubt I will remember it tomorrow!
But had to reply to say well done Lorna your "stats" are looking so good

Back