• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice needed please!!!

stuart111_2000

Hi,

I am currently on a weight loss management programme with the NHS, and am hoping to get funding for Surgery.

My job is affecting my health, and I am constantly angry, and feeling down, not wanting to go at all.

If I was to see my doctor, and ask to be signed off for depression, or stress. I have had depression in the past, and fear I am heading in this direction again. :cry:

My question is would this affect my potential to get funding approved?

Many thanks

I too went through a NHS weight loss management program which I finished in October, and allot of this involved dietitians and psychologists. not sure if yours is the same but anyway. I too hit a low patch, and depression is one of those places I have been too. but I asked if I could have a few one on one sessions with the psychologist to help deal with my issues at the time and that helped greatly. may be worth a similar approach if your program has a similar style or just have a chat with your GP if this is possible. in terms of affecting funding it hasn’t in my case so far, as I received funding approval from my PCT for referral to my local bariatric unit for surgical assessment today.

so I would say its worth speaking to someone about any issues you may be having, as if its affecting your mood and health its in your best interests to address these first and worry about funding problems after. also if you don’t address it that too may affect your chances or delay the process, as a big part of the process is the psychological evaluation of you by the bariatric team.

End of the day do what’s right for you, good luck and I hope this is of some help

hi Stuart I believe most of us suffer with deep depression mostly due to our weight issues but including myself reasons not related to weight going back from childhood , I could always tell when I was slipping back and went for help straight away as I knew I could not get rid of it just by "pulling myself together" when I was going through the assessment stage there was someone who was turned down due to psychological reasons but he admitted hiding 100 bars of chocolate round the house for after his surgery in between bedlinen towels etc so he was definitely not ready for surgery but I think he is the only person I have heard of turned down :( good luck take care and I hope you are successful and look forward to reading all about it xx

Hi stuart!! I am bi polar and also suffer with severe depression, and I didn't even have a psychological assessment as bournemouth didn't have a psychologist on their bariatric team... and the pct were aware of my mental health issues when they granted me the funding, so I wouldn't imagine you will find it a big stumbling block. It obviously will depend on where you are having the surgery and what there policy is regarding psych assessment..But You will be fine I'm sure.. but good luck xx

It seems every PCT does things slightly differently and I don't know what area you are from but in my area you have a detailed psychological assessment and from that they want to know you are psychologically ready and able to handle the significant changes post weight loss surgery. As Jaybo suggests, if available, try and get some one on one time with the psychologist with the weight loss management programme. Good luck :) x

Thank u for all the advice. I have seen a psychologist today as had the appointment booked already. Discussed everything, and now feel better about myself. Have arranged to meet again in a couple of weeks

Hi Stuart just reading between the lines is it your Job or your Weight thats causing the depression. The reason I am asking is my hubby went through a bout of depression couple years back turned out to be the job he was in he just really hated it but pushed himself to stay for finanial reasons. In the end he was signed off and lost his job because it was withing the probation period but well he was better within weeks and re-working at the time some where else which he did enjoy. Just something for you to think about. x

Back