• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I eating too enough or too much?

jaxx

Hi all. I just wanted everyone's opinion on what and how much I'm eating at the minute. Now I've sorted out the problem with my stenosis and I'm eating solids I wonder if I'm eating too much. I'm 12 weeks post op. I felt like I haven't stopped eating all day today.

1 and a half weetabix with semi skimmed milk and sweetner

Large skimmed milk latte with sweetner

3 babybel light cheeses

Handful of grapes.

1 seeded wholemeal roll with low fat tuna mayo and salad leaves (I actually ate half of this at lunch and then the other half 2 hours later)

1 Bag of Matessons fridge raiders chicken bites.

1 BBQ flavoured chicken breast

Through out the day I've drunk 3 pints of no added sugar cordial and I'm about to have another. I appreciate that my diet is lacking in veggies and fruit which I find very difficult to eat (even pre op).

I've worked out that I have had roughly 1000 to 1200 calories today (using an online calorie counter for nutritional values for things like the latte etc). Is this enough or too much? I feel like I've been eating all day like I used to before my op but compared to the amounts I used to eat I suppose it's not as much but I don't want to ruin everything that I've done so far.

Jaxx
Looks like a pretty good diet to me but could you not fit in some of the green stuff somewhere. I am sooooo looking forward to being able to eat solids
Good luck

That does seem a lot although we are all different. I don't think I'm having this much over 9 months on.

I've also been told to avoid bread so the roll is out of the question.

But the calories seem fine. If you're still losing weight then I wouldn't worry.

As Bryan said, more things that grow out of the ground would probably be beneficial. :)

I think it probably seems a lot to you Jaxx as you have been surviving on so little for so long. The protein is excellent, and if you were to cut anything out you should have maybe binned the half of the roll you couldnt eat as grazing is dangerous (ive done the same myself though on one occasion so I'm not judging) Apart from that though hun, I'd say keep doing what you are doing.

ALso, you will have days when you seem to be able to eat more than others. This is normal.

You're doing great.

What worries me is that I've got the urge to eat almost constantly especially when I'm at work which I think is possibly due to boredom as I have a very easy job. Also even post op, if I have a salad I don't feel full which is the problem I used to have pre op which is why I had the roll. I did pile it high with salad leaves and the tuna mayo. I'm just surprised at how much I can eat.

@ Brian, I was looking forward to going onto solids but had to delay because of a tightening to the entrance to my pouch which had to be stretched twice, so I'm late enjoying solids but enjoying it I am! lol

I would say generally it was OK. Maybe a little high, I would have been aiming for 800-1000 KCals at your stage. The bread roll is matginal, I couldn't have coped with that so early and am only now managing bread on occasion. Beware of the Fridge Raiders. I remember looking at those as a convenient meal/snack but they were quite high in sugar or fat or both. please check. Good luck. xx

As everyone has said hun - I would leave the roll out and eat the tuna mayo and salad and beware of grazing. Your hunger will be head hunger rather than actual hunger so look at drinking when you feel like this and look at sucking a sugar free sweet or something similar if needs be (be careful of the sweetner in the sweets)
You can also try snacking on veg and salad and fruit.
HTH - Sally x

I have days when i forget to eat, and have to force myself to have something even though i don't want it. Then there are days like today when i just feel like picking at stuff. Last time i passed through the kitchen i weakened and grabbed a mini sugar free biscuit (i did some baking with my neice this morning - fatal !!) This totally undid the healthy salad i had for lunch, but hey its better than the full packet of biscuits i would once have had. I think it's because i am bored and stuck in on my own while hubby is at golf. They can change our stomachs but they can't reprogramme my brain !
I was advised to aim for around 800 calories a day at this stage.

@ Glenville ever since my last stretch I've been able to manage bread quite easily but I avoid having it if I can. I use rolls for work as they're easier to carry and take up less room than a box full of salad.

I took everyone's advice and I didn't have a roll for lunch today and instead had tuna mayo salad which my pouch didn't like very much so I had to take it very slowly.

I do know that I'm not eating enough veggies and fruit and I am trying to get them into my diet (hence the grapes I've been eating today and the larger salad) but it's very hard as I just don't like the bloody things. lol

When i was at slimming world we used to make a pastry free quiche.... Maybe you could try that and use it as a way to sneak extra protein in and also a bit of veg?

I particularly liked corned beef n cherry tomatoes.....

From what i remember it was 3 eggs/tub of low fat cottage cheese and then put the chopped corned beef n toms in and bake in the oven....

Hmmm think i might make it again but maybe use some nice ham or bacon and maybe some sweetcorn....

I used to make it too Julie it was yummy. I think Phatgirl posted a recipe for pastry free quiche a while ago on a recipe thread.

Back