• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Answers to my questions....???

Sarah, I asked to do the milk diet (told you Im a nutter!) because I thought I would find it easier if I wasnt allowed any food atall rather than a bit of this and a bit of that :D Im diabetic (in remission ;)) and my dietician said as long as I kept a close watch on my sugars I would be fine......I was too. Its not easy but I still think Id have struggled more with small amounts of food :D XX

Thanks Bev. I feel a million times better already although I still have a long way to go. Can't quite believe this is all happening. For the longest time I thought I was always going to be 25+ stone and to realise this truth is no longer your truth... Well it's emotional!

Sarah, I asked to do the milk diet (told you Im a nutter!) because I thought I would find it easier if I wasnt allowed any food atall rather than a bit of this and a bit of that :D Im diabetic (in remission ;)) and my dietician said as long as I kept a close watch on my sugars I would be fine......I was too. Its not easy but I still think Id have struggled more with small amounts of food :D XX
Thanks jac, you've given me the answers i needed, i too don't fancy the low fat diet but hadn't come across anyone who was diabetic and had done the milk diet...i'm defo gonna ask to do it, i'm only pre diabetic as well x

Sorry I don't have the answer to that one Sarah. I was not diabetic and was on the low fat low carb diet.

Reactions: Bev
Bless you Blue Eyes. It's one heck of an emotional rollercoaster... but we'll get there precious, glad all is going well for you.

Sarah, if we can be of any help you know we are all with you Angel... Love and hugs xxx

Thanks Bev x

Reactions: Bev
I'm 11 months post op and my weight has really slowed down which for me was a good thing as I'm now just below target with a total weight loss of 8stones but I'm having my tummy tuck on 30 march so again will l loose a few more lbs :)

I was diabetic pre-op and did the low carb low fat diet.

And I understood the window of opportunity for WLS was 12-18 months - and I lost for the first 18 months - I know it was a different op!!

Good luck - hope all goes well for you

xxx

ill be the same sarah - my hospital dont offer the milk diet because they dont agree with it apparently but at my next apointment im going to ask if i can because i think ill find it easier - im an all or nothing sorta girl me! i either have food and eat it or dont have any at all - for shrinking the liver i think personally ill be better with none - im not diabetic tho (touch wood)x

The main problem with after the first 6 months is the 'carb & cr@p trap' that so many fall into. Fir the first few months post op you can eat pretty much anything and still lose weight fairly rapidly. So many people get into bad habits during this time such as eating junk like crisps and refined carbs/pastry etc as they see that they are still losing when they eat it. This then builds into habits and people gradually eat more and more but still lose.

Then you reach around 6 months post op and the stalls start. The malabsorption is decreasing, your body is adapting to the surgery, you can physically eat more, and those bad habits start to show on the scales. You can't understand why the losses have stopped when you're eating hasn't changed from a month ago! Then if you want to succeed you have to battle with those bad habits all over again, and many people don't want to do that, or don't understand that those habits are now the problem, and just accept that they have lost 40-50% of their excess weight and think that is it.

I'm not saying that everyone who stalls or doesn't reach their goal or is a slow loser is in this trap. For many though, it is the cause. That's when things like the 5 day pouch test can be a god send.

So during your early days post op, remember that just because you can eat something bad and still lose weight, doesn't mean you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

How about if you dont eat bad things? Does the weightloss still slow down after 6 months? I know I have some carbs in my diet but I dont eat anything bad like pastry or crisps etc....I eat Melba toast and weetabix and theres carbs in lots of things I have but I dont have bread, now and again a small new potato or similar. Will I still stop loosing at 6 months I wonder! I hope not Ive got a long way to go yet :D XX

Thanks everyone for your advice, i'm learning something new every day, I really want to be able to do this to the best of my ability and not screw it up x

Keeley i'm with you...i really don't like the idea of having to "diet"....aint that the reason we are in this situation, because we can't diet??

Anyway....another question has just popped in mind.

Q) How does having sleep apnoea affect you during and after surgery? Is there any special requirements regarding the anesthetic? Do you have to be using your breathing machine for a certain lengh of time before your surgery? Personal experiences and thoughts welcomed x

Thanks anyway jac x

good question coz ive also got sleep apneo but ive not been using the machine as it doesnt seem to make much difference to me just more hassle! should i start using it again or doesnt it really matter - my sleep apneo doctor would av took it off me at my last apointment because i told him it doesnt make any difference with my tiredness - but hes left it with me untill after my surgery so im interested what peoples thoughts are on this xxx

Back