• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can I drink enough?

nakipa

I live in SW France and in the summer it is very hot here. I also am very active and ride almost every day and hope to be doing more and more as my weight decreases.

At the moment I am only 10 days post op so it is early days but I am very worried about how I will be able to get in enough water in the height of the summer to keep myself hydrated.

Before the op it was quite normal for me to come in from riding all hot and sweaty and gasping for a drink and to down a pint of iced water in one go. This would be swiftly followed by another.

How do those of you who are post op who do heavy exercise and have done it through hot weather, get enough water in?

the first couple of weeks its hard to drink a lot in one go, so its just best to keep a bottle ofnas juice or waterwith you all the time so you can take little sips... im 9 weeks in now and i can drink a whole mug of tea before it goes cold and i can take bigger sips... its still best not to drink a bottle down in one go as it wont go through your pouch quick enough and it may become a bit uncomfortable.... but as you progress it does get easier and you can drink bigger sips xx

ooh i have just seen you have a sleeve not a pouch lol... i hink thesame applies... you will be able to drink more as you progress...for now just little sips xx

I live in SW France and in the summer it is very hot here. I also am very active and ride almost every day and hope to be doing more and more as my weight decreases.

At the moment I am only 10 days post op so it is early days but I am very worried about how I will be able to get in enough water in the height of the summer to keep myself hydrated.

Nakipa,

I am reading a book called "Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve" by Dr Alvarez.

His advice is:

(1) Drink at least 64 oz / 2 litres of water a day in MILD weather -- even more if it is hot.

(2) Try to stay indoors / in the cool / in air conditioned buildings for the first 3 - 4 weeks post sleeve surgery if you live somewhere hot. Extreme hot conditions could cause dehydration. {EDITED -- I put wrong words before.}

(3) Very moderate gentle exercise (mainly walking) for the first 30 days post surgery as there is a risk to your incision sites (where they made the holes for the laproscopic instruments) if you do anything too energetic. All the incisions should be fully healed after 30 days.

(4) Only showers, not baths for the first 4 weeks, and stand with your back to the shower so that the water does not hit the surgi strips / incision sites.

There's lots more. PM me if you want more info or how to contact Dr Alvarez for advice (he's on Twitter, Facebook and all sorts of forums and he responds to most questions very quickly -- even for people who have had surgery elsewhere).

Last edited:
Dr Alvarez also has advice in his book about *how* to drink a half litre bottle of water over a period of a few hours, when it is very difficult to drink in the first week or so post surgery.

(1) Sip about 4 ounces at a time .... wait 2 - 3 mins for that to go down .... then sip another 4 ounces.

(3) Don't drink from a straw or ordinary water bottle as both will result in you gulping water AND air ... the air will cause gas problems and lessen the amount of water you get in.

(4) Drink either straight from a glass, or a sports water bottle with a special cap that is designed to minimise air intake.

(5) Always have a bottle of water on the go / at your side during the first 7 days post surgery ..... as it is going to take quite a lot of effort with lots of mini sips and waiting 2 or 3 mins between sips to get the correct quantity down.

I cannot recommend the water bottle with the sports cap enough, up until I switched to these I was stuggling hugely.
:)

me too, i buy a 500 ml water with a cap on and use that bottle for the week, throw it and get a new one... that goes with me everywhere lol xx

How do those of you who are post op who do heavy exercise and have done it through hot weather, get enough water in?

Open mouth, place open bottle in mouth. Tip bottle to correct angle until liquid runs into mouth. Once sufficient liquid has filled mouth cavity lower bottle as mouth is closed. Swallow liquid. Repeat as necessary

Karlos said:
Open mouth, place open bottle in mouth. Tip bottle to correct angle until liquid runs into mouth. Once sufficient liquid has filled mouth cavity lower bottle as mouth is closed. Swallow liquid. Repeat as necessary

Definitely think that should help ;)

Nakipa,

I am reading a book called "Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve" by Dr Alvarez.

His advice is:

(1) Drink at least 64 oz / 2 litres of water a day in MILD weather -- even more if it is hot.

(2) Try to stay air conditioned buildings for the first 3 - 4 weeks post sleeve surgery if you live somewhere hot. Extreme hot conditions could put pressure on the staple line.

(3) Very moderate gentle exercise (mainly walking) for the first 30 days post surgery as there is a risk to your incision sites (where they made the holes for the laproscopic instruments) if you do anything too energetic. All the incisions should be fully healed after 30 days.

(4) Only showers, not baths for the first 4 weeks, and stand with your back to the shower so that the water does not hit the surgi strips / incision sites.

There's lots more. PM me if you want more info or how to contact Dr Alvarez for advice (he's on Twitter, Facebook and all sorts of forums and he responds to most questions very quickly -- even for people who have had surgery elsewhere).

what a very nice man :) xxx

Sharonimo said:
Dr Alvarez also has advice in his book about *how* to drink a half litre bottle of water over a period of a few hours, when it is very difficult to drink in the first week or so post surgery.

(1) Sip about 4 ounces at a time .... wait 2 - 3 mins for that to go down .... then sip another 4 ounces.

(3) Don't drink from a straw or ordinary water bottle as both will result in you gulping water AND air ... the air will cause gas problems and lessen the amount of water you get in.

(4) Drink either straight from a glass, or a sports water bottle with a special cap that is designed to minimise air intake.

(5) Always have a bottle of water on the go / at your side during the first 7 days post surgery ..... as it is going to take quite a lot of effort with lots of mini sips and waiting 2 or 3 mins between sips to get the correct quantity down.

Hi Hun where did you by this book from would like to get a copy x

Hi Hun where did you by this book from would like to get a copy x

From here: Successful weight loss with The Gastric Sleeve - Dr. Alvarez

If you click on the yellow circle it takes you to an order page (payment by Paypal mainly i think -- there might be other options but Paypal is the main one) **

** I did email Dr Alvarez in advance to query the shipping charges as his current shipping price is only for shipping to the US ..... very kindly Dr A waived the extra international shipping charge for the cost of postage to the UK for me.

I am not sure whether he will do this for everyone, or if a lot of UK / overseas people start to order his book, he might alter his online ordering system to offer different postage amounts, at the moment there is only one.

Nakipa,

You will be fine by the summer as you will be 5 or 6 months post surgery and your new stomach will be healed by then and able to glug water down much more easily. It is something you will need to be aware of, but it should not be physically difficult to ensure that you drink between 2 - 3 litres of water a day during the summer.

At the moment your stomach is healing from surgery which is why even drinking (sufficient quantities) of water might be a challenge.

If you were to actually have sleeve surgery in the summer in a hot country (e.g SW France / Spain / Mexico / southern US states etc) dehydration would be something you would have to be much more aware of and vigilant against.

Thanks for the info peeps I will look into Dr Alvarez. I honestly thought that we had to just sip for the rest of our lives post sleeve...... duh!!!

Karlos, thanks for the invaluable advice..... Well I never!!!

xxx

Back