• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Coming on you Losers, speak to me!!!

liquidgold

I'm booked in to have my band on 15th November, starving as only on Cambridge for my pre op diet and all I have read for days are negative threads.

Bands not working, no weight lose, wish they hadn't had it done.

Can the banders that are happy, PLEASE speak to me.

lol there are loads of threads on here with positive outcomes good luck x

I am 11 weeks post op on thursday and I love my band. I have no restriction as yet and how it has worked for me is making me make positive and healthy changes to my food choices, I don't know why I couldn't do it before, but I am working along with my band.

At last weigh in last thurs at 10 weeks I'd lost 54lbs so 2lb short of 4 stone, and while I have a long way to go, I love how its working. It is hard work, it is about making choices, watching what you eat. I limit my calories, but also limit my carbs and make sure Im eating high protein. I work with the guidelines my provider has given me in what I should be eating and while sometimes it can be hard to limit portion sizes I am hoping in the future that when I do have that restriction that it will work much better.

However, it is working well, I had very little pain post op, no gas pain problems and no pain since. I wouldn't even actually know if it was there to be honest. I had my first fill at 5 weeks which made me starving and had a 2nd fill 2 weeks later of 1ml (5mls in 1st one) so am currently at 6mls in a 14ml band. But I do not want to rush my fills, Im using will power, my own choices, and watching what I eat. I go to the gym 3/4 times a week which Im loving too and also the dogs are enjoying their longer walks.

It isn't an easy way out. It does take making choices, as my consultant said to me, if I make the choice to eat high fat foods, heavily laden with calories, which are all still quite easily able to be eaten, then it wont work.

But I'm hoping to meet my Xmas target on weigh in on thursday. I love my band and the changes its making in my life, not just in the loss, but healthier choices of eating, exercise and in general.

I do not, nor have I regretted it for one minute. its the best £7,500 I've spent LOL :D

Thank you soooo much top Kat. I needed that.

I have loved reading people's journeys but quite a few are struggling at the minute.

I have paid my money now and just needed a bit of inspiration before I have another glass of water !!

X

Hi, another happy bander here!

Bands do work but you get out what you put in. If you are prepared to change the way you eat ie not eat it just because you can, increase your excercise then it will indeed help.

I am over 3 1/2 years post op, apart from having my daughter its the best thing I ever did! xx

I'm just over 2 weeks post op and already down 24lbs, which includes the Pre op diet weight. I also love my band. I have nothing in my band and my first fill is 4 weeks away. I do feel hungry, but I also feel full on smaller portions.
It's all about making the right choices of food and trying to start exercising to help smoothe the loss along.
I needed the band as my trouble was not bad food choices, it was portion control. I would eat very little all day, then come home ravenous and eat the fridge empty, also so quickly that half of it wouldn't even touch the sides lol! Well.. NO MORE, my band certainly tells me to stop and slow down!!! :)
If I hadn't had my band, I could easily have put on a stone in just the Pre op period.
Looking forward to my fill, but managing well so far, best money I have ever spent!
All the best of luck with your journey hon xxx

Hi, I am not a bander, but had bypass 3 1/2 months ago and I wish I had done it sooner, I am 4lb away from 4 stone down, and I feel fantastic. It's been a struggle, and there have been times when I have thought 'what the hell have I done', but in all honesty, that's nothing compared to looking in the mirror and seeing a different person. Good luck. Xxx

I had my band on 28th August and couldn't be happier. All the years of diets taking ove rmy life have gone!

Beleive it or not I have a better social life now than I have ever had???? Before I wouldn't go for meals/droinks because I was either pointing or synning or shakes..... mad I know but the relief is unbeleivable. I don't feel anxiety around food should I or shouldn't i. I am making healthy choices all of the time, I haven't had a bar of chocolate or crisps for months, not a slice of bread... Don't get me wrong physically I could but mentally I don't want it.

The band has sorted my head out and this time I know I will get to goal weight x x

Another Happy Bander here - almost 2 & 1/2 years out and me and the band are still working harmoniously together :D - I went from a size 24/26 to a size 10/12 in 10 months ( 9 stone loss and been maintaining ever since) and couldnt be happier.;)

There are many positive band stories on here, and that's fantastic. Bear in mind, however, that those who report ongoing, seemingly never-ending complications are being 100% truthful. They are in pain, often 24 hours a day, and understandably scared; many still can't eat or drink more than a tiny amount months after surgery. To make matters worse they often find themselves being given the run-around by providers they paid in advance to deliver good, reliable follow-up care. They started out with the same dream of a healthier, slimmer life, post-op, but their reality is very different.

Please don't shoot the messengers.

There are many positive band stories on here, and that's fantastic. Bear in mind, however, that those who report ongoing, seemingly never-ending complications are being 100% truthful. They are in pain, often 24 hours a day, and understandably scared; many still can't eat or drink more than a tiny amount months after surgery. To make matters worse they often find themselves being given the run-around by providers they paid in advance to deliver good, reliable follow-up care. They started out with the same dream of a healthier, slimmer life, post-op, but their reality is very different.

Why do you have such a problem with bands, do you have one, have you had one?

The OP asked for stories from people who are happy, the other day you posted negative comments on a thread where the poster was feeling low. What is your motivation for this?!

I don't think she has suggested they are being untruthful, but just looking for feedback from the other side to get viewpoints from both sides, after all the OP has asked for positive responses or from those who have had or are having positive experiences . . .I don't understand when she has asked for positive feedback . . .why you'd then post negative . . .

I love my band love it love it love it ! :) I'm six stone down from may what more can I say as I said in another post it's not the band that fails and that's not saying ppl are not working hard its just some times people go into this op with unrealistic expectations all I can say is research research research , I did research a lot even my surgeon said I knew more then he did lol but he said a lot of his clients knew very little , but even I didn't realise it would be as hard as it is ,work with your band and sort your head out first and you ll be fine what ever op etc you have in life there will always be ppl it doesn't work for but the worse thing is to enter it to this kind of surgery with that on your mind , as long as you expect to lose 2 lb a week and some times weeks where u lose nothing , change your eating habits for life not just be on a diet for a bit and still work hard at it then you ll be fine there are lots of very successful banders on here take a look at Mazzas, flutterby and jos stats they have done fantastically well , as I say if u buy a new car and drive over a piece of glass on the way out of the dealership and the tyre goes down it doesn't mean the car going wrong it's the driver ! And that's not a pop or insult at anyone else on here as I know some of u guys are really trying its just the way I look at myself , good luck on what ever u decide but pls be realistic in your expectations x good luck :) xxxx

Hi Girlygirl, I responded to a post yesterday that you wrote about statistics you had read.

Just still wondering where you got this info and also what surgery you have had or are having.

Like Mazz said you seem really down on the band and would like to understand why??

Thankyou for your comments. I have been following a couple of you on your journeys (stalking you !!!). I know I have to work with the band and have been attending a support group at heartlands for 4 months, I also know its not a magic wand. I don't mind hard work, done it so many times. I also tried telling myself that it is much easier to write about negative things, I was customer facing for years and you always hear about the things people didn't like more than the how fantastic you are.

This thread has really made me happier. Lots of lovely people

Thankyou x

Wobbly - I'm going to THG Dolan park in Bromsgrove

I am not opposed to any type of WLS; rather as I have said elsewhere I am alarmed and angered by the poor level of aftercare reported in too many cases.

I decided to 'google' banding outcomes, in particular, because several 'banders' here are currently experiencing serious complications, and, despite weeks and months of pleading (unsuccessfully) for help, are now wondering what became of the top-class aftercare they were promised. I feel for them. as do many others, and I try to offer what little support I can.

Tracking down statistics takes time and patience, not least because most online medical journals demand a subscription fee. The 50% band failure figure came up more than once so I thought was worth a mention. If you disagree with that figure, google the subject, yourself. In the course of your research you will come across many upsetting patient histories. Time and again poor or non-existent aftercare is listed as a major factor in unsuccessful outcomes.

I am not anti-WLS; rather, I am totally pro-patient. I would rather not have added to this debate on this particular thread but it is here that I was questioned!

I have googled it and never saw 50% failure rate that's why I questioned it.

Anyway like Ive said before there is always good and bad stories and for the number of operations that are carried out each week by THG I would be more interested to hear their personal statistics than in general. I have had no probs at all with them up to now. But I have not had a problem with my band. I know a few on here have but not a lot of people.

Some are just complaining of slow weight loss which is not a fault of the band.

When you look at statistics for band removal etc, some are removed by choice for further surgery not because of problems as well.

I just think you could go on and on quoting statistics but they don't do anyone any favours.

I personally think the best advice comes from those who have had it done. If someone has a problem afterwards I would say they need professional legal advice and that is the route I would go down.

This is all just my opinion but I go by real facts and like I said at the beginning never seen 50% failure rate!

Back