• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating too much?

MJLDPS

I'm 3 weeks post op and convinced i'm eating too much, everyone says how little they eat, but not so with me take today for example, i've had:
3 muller corner yoghurts
1 satchet of oats so simple porridge mixed up with 180mls of semi skimmed milk
1 banana
and
1 pot of tesco italian pasta approx 300g
I did not get any feeling of wow i cant eat anymore, i just was not hungry when i finished, i ate slowly and chewed everything to death but still finished within the 30 minutes, i'm really worried i'm doing something wrong, i rang Luton, all the dietician would say is it does seem a bit more than usual, how much can others eat on week 3, could some of you put up a typical days menu so i can see if and where i'm going wrong, is it possible ive been given a bigger pouch than usual, there were 2 consultants in theatre with me, so i don't actually know who performed the surgery, i am losing weight, but i dont want to stretch the pouch and end up back at square one, would i know if i was stretching the pouch? Thanks everyone. Mark

Today I have had 1/4 tin of baked beans, 4/5 bite size chunks of gammon ham.

4 tables spoons of mash and a slice of corned beef.

oh and one small spoon of crispy chilli beef and I dumped on it, so never again. I am six months post bypass.

But somedays I eat, 2 rashers of bacon, 1 poached egg, baked beans and grilled tomato for breakfast.

Have you tracked your cal intake Mark?

i am almost week 5 and today i have had

one glass of orange juice (breakfast)

lunch half a fish finger with two teasooons of mashed dauphin potato (cheese sauce) and a few mashed peas

afternoon snack 3 meltz crackers with cheese spread

dinner one desert spoon rice with one square of cubed chicken and some low fat caserole sauce (ATE about 3/4 of it) and a bite of bread soaked in the sauce

Mark: that's what you ate for the entire DAY? I don't think that adds up to a whole day's meal so I really wouldn't worry. Go to myfitnesspal and register, and put in your food for the day, having customized how many calories you think your intake should be...the default is 1250 I think. I changed mine to 1000. I only ate 650 today. I don't think what you ate sounds too much for an adult man. Anyone else?

I'm four weeks post sleeve and today I ate:

1 weetabix with 180 ml milk and splenda.
lunch: cup of veg soup with 30g light grated cheese.
100g smoked salmon, lettuce and one cherry tomato.

Supper: small halibut fillet.
inside of 1/4 baked potato.
lettuce and tomato like lunch.

That adds up to 650 calories. Which isn't enough. Adding an 80 calorie yogurt later, but it still isn't enough.

I was told not to add calories, just eat what I wanted in small portions! My breakfast was a yoguart, lunch 2 rivita with pate, tea was naughty as went out half fish cake and 3 chips, and milk for bed x

I was told not to add calories, just eat what I wanted in small portions! My breakfast was a yoguart, lunch 2 rivita with pate, tea was naughty as went out half fish cake and 3 chips, and milk for bed x

how sad are we that 3 chips are naughty hehe you make me giggle x

i wont go by today as ive been poorly and had some horrid antibiotics which NHS drirect have said to come off of.. so im not taking any more.. so i will give you yesterdays menu..

Breakfast: 3/4 reduced sugar rusk
lunch: 1/2 tin country veg soup (pureed)
Dinner: 3rd ready made quorn cottage pie pureed with bisto
evening: 200ml ss milk with marvel and half options hot choc sachet.
fluids: tea, cranberry and water, water = 1300ml

how sad are we that 3 chips are naughty hehe you make me giggle x

I was going to say the same!! Try and remember what it was like to sit down to a big mac and a large fries and giant sized full fat coke. Now tell me 3 chips are naughty!

My calorie intake ranges from about 800 to about 1500, the Muller yoghurts are probably the highest cals, is ryvita not considered too rough or fibrous ? The amounts your eating.... Half a fishcake and 3 chips can it be shoot 40g in weight! I ate a 300g Italian pasta bowl for dinner, maybe I'm paranoid, its really getting me down worrying that IM eating too much still, I so want this to work, I have registered with fitness pal, i have set my intake at 1500 calories, although I too was told to just eat, and not to count calories, I don't get hungry like I used to though and my portion sizes are less than 1/4 of what they used to be, thanks for all your replies.

Sent from my MT15i using WLSurgery

I'm on stage 3, soft stuff, have not had any problems at all, no pain, no nausea, I had a touch of bowel trouble the other day but I put that down to a milkshake I bought in town, is it not strange ice not had any trouble, in many ways it would be a relief to be sick, just so that I know its all been done right! I vs just looked and my calorie intake over the past few days has been nearer 2000! Surely thats not right, I wish I could feel this fullness you all talk of, I feel really demoralized at the moment.

Sent from my MT15i using WLSurgery

im on soft foods from friday when i will be 5 weeks post op... i have no idea of how much i will be able to eat, i will have to get back to you... can i just ask though.. as you are on sot food stage.. do you mash your food?

If it helps mark i never feel full either. I eat because i know i should and base my portions by eye rather than by feeling.

If your eating1/4 of what u did before i can only see that as a success :)

X

I get so confused sometimes. I got told off by the dietican and nurse for saying that i had signed up to fitness so that i could check my calories etc. They stated that it was to risky to do this as i was no longer on a diet and had to learn to just eat healthy small portions and be aware of proteins, fats etc. They explained that calorie counting could become controlling and i said that it was so i knew if i was eating enough or not and i could keep a dairy. They still said it was a no no. So I have not been on for 3 weeks. I never know what is the best to do booo x

its because it can give tips and stuff for people who have not had wls to lose weight.. and if we follow some of them rules it wont be good for us x

Magsy said:
I get so confused sometimes. I got told off by the dietican and nurse for saying that i had signed up to fitness so that i could check my calories etc. They stated that it was to risky to do this as i was no longer on a diet and had to learn to just eat healthy small portions and be aware of proteins, fats etc. They explained that calorie counting could become controlling and i said that it was so i knew if i was eating enough or not and i could keep a dairy. They still said it was a no no. So I have not been on for 3 weeks. I never know what is the best to do booo x

I have also stopped using it as I was getting obsessed with counting calories. Then getting down cos I was having more than others.
Now I just use it to check on nutritional value for stuff and don't bother adding it in my diary :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'm almost 6mths post-op & use fitness daily from about 3mths post-op I try to keep within the 1000 calories a day adding a minimum exercise level as until recently had no energy to exercise beyond walking to, from & around work. It has helped me to focus on how much I'm eating but also to ensure I get at least 60g protein a day, however if I go over the 1000calories I don't panic but focus on the best foods to get the protein in, it's another tool not a bible. I did sign up soon after my op but found no point in using it early on as I was eating so little but as I was eating a more normal diet it became more useful.

Hi Mark,
In the early weeks after my op I didn't use the feel full rule but went by what the diet sheet said. I didn't feel hunger at all and also did not feel full or get sick. I measured my food by the tablespoon full and stopped when I'd had the number on the sheet. When I went onto a normal diet this all changed. As soon as I eat 'solid' protein such as eggs ,poultry, fish or quorn I get full very quickly and started to find a lot of foods make me sick. In the early weeks food is very soft and passes through the pouch very easily- this will change when you go on to'solids'.
I always use a small plate and have stopped measuring with the tablespoons now-but I never eat the whole plate ful.
I'd be inclined to stick to a side plate and measure your portion size whilst pouchy heals
Good luck
xx

Back