• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band funding NHS - Sunderland???

Hi,

I have been to see the doctor today and she is referring me for a Gastric Band at my request. I have to have the blood tests done at the end of the month then hopefully I will be sent to a meeting at Sunderland Royal Hospital.

Has anyone been given NHS funding in the Sunderland area for this procedure recently? How long has it taken if so?

My BMI is 42 and I have been obese for the past 33 years ... enough is enough now and I am desperate for the op :cry:

Thanks

I had my bypass in Sunderland last August and i never heard anything about funding until i joined this website bout a month ago. Think docs must have sorted it all was never mentioned to me and it took almost 2 years to get to my op, so not sure what to say there, sorry probably someone who will come on and let you know. Welcome though and hope everything goes through for you. xx

If you get a letter inviting you to a seminar then it means you have funding but you wont hear them mention funding like other areas it was never mentioned to me throughout my journey. It took 21 mths from referal to op for me, Good Luck with ur journey x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using WLSurgery

Thanks for the replies :) I thought there would be a waiting list - but I had kind of hoped it was more like 21 weeks rather than 21 months lol ... but hey ho .. what's another 2 years on top of 33!! :sigh:

Mmmm, I've just posted a note to say thank you for all your replies ... but I am not sure where it has gone!

I thought there would be a waiting list, but I was kind of hoping it would be more like 21 weeks not months lol... but hey ho.. what's another 21 months on top of 33 years!

:welcome:

Like safc_chic said if you get an appointment for the seminar then your funding is already in place. The dietician and surgeon will both discuss the options with you but they take your opinion into account if there's a particular surgery you prefer x

needtofeelnormal said:
Also, stupid question - but I assume the surgeon decides whether a Band or Bypass is needed?

I went with a band in mind but after talking with the dietician she suggested the bypass, initially i was freaked out by this but I went with what they thought was best and so far its been the best decision ever and I've had no problems at all I love my bypass.
Feel free to ask away anything you can think of the more research you can do the better x

safc_chick said:
I went with a band in mind but after talking with the dietician she suggested the bypass, initially i was freaked out by this but I went with what they thought was best and so far its been the best decision ever and I've had no problems at all I love my bypass. But they did say if I was dead set against the bypass they wud work with me for the band but it wud require alot more changes and hard work required from me.
Feel free to ask away anything you can think of the more research you can do the better x

Was meant to edit my last post not quote it sorry daft phone x

Was the same for me thought would have a band went home in a panic cause was the 1 thing my hubby didnt want for me. Typical. Made im go with me next time though to ask all questions that worried him. nO PROBLEMS XX

Hiya. I'm from bradford but am at exactly the same point of.my journey as you are. It looks like the people from sunderland are just a lovely and welcoming as mine have been from bradford. It's such a big decision it almost makes me feel dizzy lol. Hopefully.we can be a suppotive part of each others journey xxx

Hello I attended a seminar in June 11, then invited for mtg Jan 12 and given a target to loose for a mtg in July 12. Funding at Sunderland was not mentioned however I asked to be transferred to James Cook 2 weeks ago. This is a decision I think I will regret as I have just been invited to a weight mtg to then decide if funding will be approved. I wish I had stuck with Sunderland, but I live in Boro. Therefore I have took the bull by the horns and emailed the South Tees consultant direct this afternoon to see if I can just transfer, if not I am going to try and stop the process and stick to Sunderland. Bloody carry on! Also I went in with the idea of a band, but following discussions with the nurses at Sunderland, I want a sleeve once we discussed my eating habits.

Hi
I never heard the team mention funding at sunderland either i think if u get invite to seminar then you are on the list. From seminar to op it it took 17months, but it flew by i had the bypass dietician thought band would be better but it was my choice never actually seen the surgeon until a few hrs before the op never actually me the surgeon who did it, BUT life is amazing now am living my life and losing weight fast love love love it.
I had sooooo many doubts n nearly jumped off te operating trolley but didnt and am so glad i went through with it, any doubts use this forum everyone is helpful and friendly good luck on your journey x

Thanks again everyone.

I am not worrying that if I lose a bit of weight and my BMI drops below 40 that I wont get accepted for the op. I have a really important event to go to in a few months and I sooooooooo want to drop a couple of dress sizes for it (which I know I can do if I put my mind to it) but the problem is keeping the weight off (that's where I FAIL EVERYTIME).

So, if my BMI is currently 42 and lets say in a month or so I enter the system and get accepted on the waiting list, then I drop a couple of stone on my own will I be knocked off the list? How often was everyone weighed?

Hi I have just been referred by my gp to Sunderland and am going to the group seminar on the 15th may does that mean I have the funding and am on the start of my journey or do I need to convince someone else that I really need this op x this site is really great it's answering a lot of my questions and everyone is so friendly

Nikki36 said:
Hi I have just been referred by my gp to Sunderland and am going to the group seminar on the 15th may does that mean I have the funding and am on the start of my journey or do I need to convince someone else that I really need this op x this site is really great it's answering a lot of my questions and everyone is so friendly

Hi if you got invited to the seminar you have funding at Sunderland :) their are loads of people who have or having their ops at sunderland so I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer any other questions you have x

Back