• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band funding NHS - Sunderland???

Hi I have just been referred by my gp to Sunderland and am going to the group seminar on the 15th may does that mean I have the funding and am on the start of my journey or do I need to convince someone else that I really need this op x this site is really great it's answering a lot of my questions and everyone is so friendly

Once you're invited to the seminar then your funding is already in place - no more convincing required x

I am not worrying that if I lose a bit of weight and my BMI drops below 40 that I wont get accepted for the op. I have a really important event to go to in a few months and I sooooooooo want to drop a couple of dress sizes for it (which I know I can do if I put my mind to it) but the problem is keeping the weight off (that's where I FAIL EVERYTIME).

So, if my BMI is currently 42 and lets say in a month or so I enter the system and get accepted on the waiting list, then I drop a couple of stone on my own will I be knocked off the list? How often was everyone weighed?

You don't need to worry. They take your weight at seminar and then the more weight you lose the better as it makes the surgery safer. Some people have lost a few stone by the time of the op but the just makes the surgeon happy, he won't cancel due to weight loss x

You get weighed at the seminar, then again when you meet the nurse/dietician who sets your weight loss target, then again when you meet the surgeon to make sure you've achieved your target, then again when you have your endoscopy and go on the waiting list, then again at your pre-op assessment and finally when you check in for op.

So long as you're always lighter than the last time they saw you then you progress to the next stage, however if you put weight on at any point they will usually hold you back but only for a few months while you lose the extra weight.

Best of luck to you both x

Thanks for all the replies it's pretty nerve wracking not sure what to expect just know I can't go on like this. The people on here are so friendly :)

At which appointment is it discussed which procedure the surgeon thinks would be bet for you? And also which one is your pre op weight loss target set? I'm only just going to seminar on 30th may at SRH so early days but want to know EVERYTHING like NOW! Lol x

After the seminar your next meeting will be with the nurse/dietician - you'll get your weight loss target and discuss surgery options then. At the next appointment you'll meet the surgeon who'll make sure you achieved your target and you'll agree which surgery you'll have. Best of luck x

Hi I went to Sunderland to my seminar in June 11, next appointment was Jan 12. Next appointment is July 12 and then hopefully go on the waiting list for a band. I have tried to tranfer to M'Bro but cant as my funding is with Sunderland, the waiting list at James Cook is alot smaller however they follow the weightloss programme before funding oppose to Sunderland, where you are approved at the point of a seminar. Best of luck, I hadnt appreciated how long the wait would be xx

Hello,
I have just had my group consultation at Sunderland on 23rd May 2012 . I visited my doctor and he refered me on the 7th May 2012 . I now have my 1-1 consultation on the 17th Oct 2012 . There was never any mention of funding . hope it workes out for you x

Back