• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gutted

Tatiana

Hi all,

I have posted about this on my pre-op diary but know not everyone reads the whole site so I thought I would also give it it's thread in the general section........

3 weeks ago I was given a surgery date of September 23rd and yesterday, in preparation for that started my pre-op diet at the 2 weeks to go mark. Today I rang the office again as I've not received through a letter confirming my surgery date, I spoke to the woman in charge of the lists for my surgeon and she told me that, instead of doing 2 procedures a week from today they are only going to be operating on alternate weeks for the time being. She said they aren't having a list on the 23rd - which is 2 weeks today - and so I won't be having surgery on that date.

She did say she saw the surgeon this morning as he was heading to the ward to see his patients before today's operating list and he looked excited to be operating at the local hospital now.

She has asked me to call back sometime towards the end of next week to see how it went today and how things will pan out over the next few weeks. She said she may be able to give me a surgery date then but can't say for definite when it's going to be. If they stick to putting me at the start of the lists I may still be on the 3rd list which should be sometime around the 7th October if it is every 2 weeks from today.

I'm going to stay on the pre-op diet for now as I know if I come off it today then I'm likely to go to the pizza shop across the road and pig out tonight!! I will stick to it until I speak to the woman again next week and know, hopefully, when my surgery is going to be and can start planning again. I know that the yoghurts and milk that are stacked in my fridge will not last for more than the next 2 weeks so, whatever happens, I will be eating and drinking them non-stop from now on anyway!!

I was so gee'd up for the surgery and now, to know it's not happening yet, has really got me down. I have had to fill in forms for the DWP about my health and on there said I was having the surgery on the 23rd so will have to get back to them and say it's not happening yet and I'm not sure when it will happen though it's going to be soon!!

Tatiana

That is a set back BUT it will happen so keep thinking of 2012 and how it will be a good year xxx

So sorry about this, Tatiana ... you must be gutted, hence the thread title. I do feel for you but try to stay strong & think that compared to how long you have waited, 2 more weeks is not so bad. Try to look at the positives :) xx

this happened to me back in april ,,,really upsetting , and out of our control, keep your chin up , you will get there , your not alone ,,never thought my time would come , but now its just 2 weeks away ! itl all be worth it , xxxxx

Hi Tatania - So sorry that you have been dissapointed darling.
I really hope they have a date for you very soon, so you can get on with the rest of your life.....btw...doing the milk diet a little earlier than planned will help you to lose more weight leading up to your surgery....and you will also find it easier when you come to the liquid stage after surgery...as you will be well used to it.

Chin up hun x

Love Kat x

Thanks for all the support you have shown me. I know it could be seen as a little thing to some but for me it's a really big thing after thinking I was home and dry with a date after hanging around for the best part of the last 12 months while waiting for just one appointment and then to go back to MDT. To get the date was such a victory for me and now I'm up in the air again.

I've decided not to change the details with the benefit people just yet until I've got my op sorted out as it doesn't change my other health problems!!

Tatiana

Kitkat1,

Thanks for the advice about sticking to the pre-op diet for now, I know it won't do me any harm and will hopefully kickstart my weight loss and will give me a super small liver for the op!!

Tatiana

I know how disappointing it can be when you're date is moved back. I was on the list for over a year here in N.Ireland and was flown to birmingham for my op at beginning of Dec 2010. I had been fasting all night and in my operating gown when I was told at 2.30pm that I wouldnt be able to have surgery as there were no beds. I had to fly home and return in Jan. This surgery will change your life and a few extra weeks, while upsetting, are nothing in the scheme of the rest of your life.
Good luck with the pre-op - I stayed on mine too for the next 4 weeks until my new date and it was def worth it.

xx

Thanks for that insight into your situation pre-op Tink,

I really appreciate the support of everyone on here and know that a few more weeks won't be the end of the world, I just think I had to wallow for a little while today.

Tatiana

Found out today that won't get new date for op until next month and no guarantee op will even be in October!

Not a happy bunny :-(

Tatiana

I would come off the pre op diet and just watch fats and sugars.Its a long time to do a preop diet and you will get really fed up.Hope a date is in the pipeline for you.Just keep in mind you are getting surgery others have been turned down!Maz x

Hi Maz,

I am going to come off the pre-op diet to some extent in that I will still have a couple of yoghurts a day and will have soup as one of my meals then have a low fat meal each day. I already don't add sugar to my foods so that's easy to stick to!

I'm going crazy as I just want to get on with it as I can't go out an get a job until afterwards as who would take someone on knowing they could go on sick leave straight away!

Tatiana

Oh hun, sending you a big hun, even if they gave you a date end of October, least you would know and feel a bit happier, its all the un knowing that it awful. I went on the pre op diet but then was given a date for 31st October, which would of made it 9 weeks on it, the dietician told me that was not possible to do, 9 weeks or 2 weeks my liver would be the same size he said. My date now is 31st October, i hope that they can give you a date asap so you have something to aim for xxxx

Oh I'm so sorry honey :( sending love xxx

really do know how your feeling ,,,i looked at my old posts at the time my op was cancelled,and nothing could stop me feeling like the end of the world, had so much heartache at the time ,,,,i was honestly heart broken and had a 5 month wait after that ,but here i am 12 days away,and the excitement is amazing , you will get here love and like me , youl forget just how low and unhappy it made you ,,keep chatting on here and use the time to go over everything and get prepared,,thinking of you and wishing your days away til your op , xxxxxxxxx

Only one more week to wait until I can ring the hospital again and hopefully get a new op date!

Despite the disappointment I've stuck to a reasonable diet and lost 10lbs in total since starting the pre-op diet which is a bonus!

Tatiana

Last edited:
Hope you get a firm date soon, honey ... it is hard to live with disappointment when it is something so life changing as the op will be. You are doing really well sticking to the diet & this will make things much better for you when you do get to theatre. Chin up, won't be long now xx :)

Oh that's really S**t!!! It seems wrong to me that they should get people's hopes raised and then dash them :(
Lets hope they set a proper date very soon for you. I can't imagine how you must be feeling.
Wishing you all the very best of luck with it all xxx

Thanks for the messages if support!

There was an article in the local paper this weekend about the first person to have a bypass at my local hospital on the new list - she was/is very young and weighs 24 stone. It also says they are the first hospital in Surrey to offer WLS!

Will look to see if I can find a link to the story online,

Tatiana

Back