• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair & Skin

Mrs Quiggle

How long before you're hair starts to fall out a bit. WALKING, yes walking, (usually take the car), to church this morning, my son said that my parting had got wider and on the way home, Tim was was brushing dandruff off my shoulders. I'm suspecting that the dandruff is a lack of fats and not so much water (I'm very bad at drinking water but having around 1 litre a day) and I've brought some head and shoulders to see if that impoves it but I thought that the hair loss thing came a bit later. Any info anyone.

Kate x

Mine is ok but I am taking 3 zinc tablets a day to stop it happening. My friend had a bypass in october and her hair loss started within 2 weeks.

hiya i am not that sure about how long it takes for the hair loss but there is a thread on hear somewhere about it.
and it tells you about the shampoos and tips and techniques people use for it. xxx

Hi Mrs Quggle

Not sure about the hair loss but just wanted to talk about your water intake. I am about the same time post op as you and was struggling with 1 litre of water. I am slowly upping that cos I realised a healthy adult should be taking in at least 2 litre of water. That does not include the liquid they get from their food.
After WLS we get very little food so our bodies rely heavily on the liquid we drink. 1 litre is not enough to function :-(

I hope I have convinced you to try and drink more ;-)
Here's to our happy health xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks Greyputy, I'm sipping water as we speak. I managed a litre and a half the day before yesterday but I'm so cold that drinking cold water is such a chore at the moment. I've run out of squash but tomorrow when my Asda order comes I will have more squash which helps. Think I'm going to make a cup of bovril, that counts towards water doesn't it.

Kate x

Hi everyone

I had a sleeve done in May this year. My hair started falling out approx two months post op.
I've lost quite a lot - no bald patches but it's quite a bit thinner. It seems to be settling down as I don't lose so much now when I wash it :)
It seems a small price to pay for all the weight I've lost, so I'm not complaining :) :)

Kate, Some days I don't drink ANY fluids, and my hair is still not falling out. I am trying to drink now, I managed a small glass full yesterday and I have a 700ml sports bottle that I have been sipping all day, I am about 2/3rds through it.

My hair started shedding about 2wks post op & is still going, but I'm also low in zinc & iron so probably not helping.
For those pre-oppers don't panic it's similar to the reaction your body has after having a baby it's not permanent and new hair continues to grow.

Thereza1111 said:
Thanks luckyla, and of course you are right, not so much to pay at all.

Hi

It has worried me to be honest, but apart from taking multivitamins there's not a lot else I can do xx

Depends what stage of growth your hair is at when you have your surgery!Mine started about 3/4 months and stopped at about 6/7 months,feels a lot better now, I had it cut short too!
There is nothing you can take or drink that will help.Its a shock to the system that starts it ie surgery and lack of nutrition.Eat well and take your vitamins and calcium.

Back