• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair supplements help please

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi guys
I need some help please.
My hair has been coming out for around a month now and at first it was just a little bit but it is getting worse but I have been determined to ride it out without supplements but I had a shower last night and washed my hair and oh my God did I shed some!!! I was stood there with hands full and it did upset me a little bit, so I have caved in and am going to get myself some supplements to try to help, if they dont work then fine but I have to try something.
I have read about zinc and selenium but what I need to know is exactly what to get and where to get them....ie get {insert brand} from {insert shop ie Hollands and Barratt}.
Thank you in advance xxx
Steph xx

hi there. try Pantogar, works fine for me. you might have to get them online. and you have to take them for at least a couple of months to notice a difference in your hair.

xxx

Hi Steph

I take selenium 200mcg and I get them on line from various places, you can buy it from Holland and Barratt on line and shop or in most supermarkets. You can also get it on script from the GP.

Don't panic I know the hair loss scares you to death. Mine started at 6 weeks and continued for 6 months and varied in intemsity but I did loose loads and loads and got more than a little worried but everyone, especially Nic reassured me that it would start to grow again and eventually it has and is just beginning to thicken up. People like my OH noticed my hair had got thinner but it never got to scalp showing levels and was mostly a surprise to me as someone who has always had masses and masses of hair.

I hope your hair loss settles soon

M

Hi Steph,

I'm on Selenium liquid ampules and Zinc dissolvable tablets which seems to be what Mr. Ammori recommends. I haven't been taking the selenium as its not nice but now my hair is falling out like mad I have started taking it and the selenium is not so bad. I get both of them on prescription - don't know if you can buy them over the counter.

When I get home I can tell you exactly what they are if you want?

X

As a Dr. Ammori pateint (and big fan!) I was told to get Zinc & Selenium on prescription to aid in hair re-growth. That is the tricky bit to understand. You aren't losing more hair than usual, you are just not growing new hair due to surgery trauma/hormone changes/rapid weight loss. What the supplements do is encourage new hair growth to start so you won't actually see less falling out, only more new hair. It is a fact that only 10% of bypass pateints experience hair loss but to that small population (raises hand as I did have thinning hair for months) it feels like it will all fall out. I PROMISE it won't, there is no secret club of bypassers who are now bald and just refuse to tell anyone. It is a perfectly natural reaction that happens after childbirth, very low calorie diets and sometimes just from stress. So take heart that it will get better and you will be seeing lots of lovely new, healthy hairs soon!

I took these on prescription:
Selenium - SELENASE oral solution 5mls 2x/day
Zinc - SOLVAZINC efforvescent tabs 125mg 3x/day

I have also heard people say that Silica works well but I am not sure on the dose or where to buy it.

Nic:)

I'm on silica 2500, and it hasn't stopped my hair falling out at all:confused::confused:I can't understand the 10% figure either, as most peeps I know who've had bypasses have lost hair:confused::confused:
I'm nearly 7 months post op now and can see bits of hair growing back, and have tons anyway but it's still dropping out:eek::eek:

I take Silica 2500 and Perfectil daily and haven't had any issues yet but it may still be early days.

Nic thats definatly whats happening to me, my hair is not growing the way it did before. My hairdresser has said its still looking fine and i'm not losing any significant hair and i'm just shy of 6 months post op. I take and have taken Perfectil since 6 weeks post op so far that seems to be doing the trick xx

I take Silica too ordered online from Holland & Barrett. Difficult to say if it's had any effect on hairloss but my hair is definately shinier! Ive been recommended zinc and selenium too so when my Silica runs out I am going to try them.

Cuppa xx

I'm on silica 2500, and it hasn't stopped my hair falling out at all:confused::confused:I can't understand the 10% figure either, as most peeps I know who've had bypasses have lost hair:confused::confused:
I'm nearly 7 months post op now and can see bits of hair growing back, and have tons anyway but it's still dropping out:eek::eek:

Got to agree with you there, Sal - I don't know anyone that hasn't lost hair whilst not being on a supplement. My advice, Steph, is give in and get some! I am on Silica 2500 and it is definitely helping.

Lx

Thanks all.
I did know that this was likely to happen and that it would probably upset me a little bit so I think that I was prepared for it and am confident that Im not going to end up bald lol The thing is though, more IS coming out than usual, the reason I know this is that handfuls and brushfuls didnt come out before the op and now it does so more IS coming out than usual.
I am going to get myself along to Holland and Barrett.
Thanks again guys xx
Steph xx

Can I just ask......are there any banders who are effected by hair loss??

I was really starting to get worried.....Every time I wash my hair I am blocking the plug hole!!!

Well, I went to Holland & Barrett today and bought their Selenium Plus Zinc supplements and will be using them from now on and will see how I get on.
Steph xx

Back