• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello i'm from Telford

Oh that's good, I guess you can take as much time as you need!
Aww I think your journey has started already :) I'm sure they said at that seminar that on average it takes 6 months from referral to op so that's not that long really. For me, January has flown by, so 5 more of them, or less, means op time! Aargh, scary!
The whole thing is exciting! All the good things are coming our way :)
I haven't told many people about this either. I don't want any negativity or other people's opinions or horror stories! Plus it'll be nice to bump into people I haven't seen for a while and see if they notice the weight loss haha

Yeah i'm keeping my wls quiet as i also don't want the negativity as i did have a bit when I got the gastric band done. I will only tell everyone once I have a surgery date. I did here them say 6-8 months at the seminar from start to op date, but mine would of been 6 months before i've even seen the surgeon and got a date but i really don't care about waiting a bit longer as it gives me more time to get my head around the massive life style change coming my way. Do you have kids, what do they think?

Hi I'm from the Hodghill area by the clock garage( which isn't any more lol) where are you.

Yeah i'm keeping my wls quiet as i also don't want the negativity as i did have a bit when I got the gastric band done. I will only tell everyone once I have a surgery date. I did here them say 6-8 months at the seminar from start to op date, but mine would of been 6 months before i've even seen the surgeon and got a date but i really don't care about waiting a bit longer as it gives me more time to get my head around the massive life style change coming my way. Do you have kids, what do they think?

I don't know whether people realise they're being negative or what, but when you're in a positive frame of mind with regards to having surgery, you don't need any debbie downers! I've only told my very small family, 1 friend and 4 people at work. I don't want loads of questions either so I'm really glad I've only told a selective few.

I think it's no bad thing having to wait a bit. Like you say, it's going to be a massive change in lifestyle and all this extra time means more time to prepare! Can't wait to clear my freezer out and replace it with loads of freshly made soup with my new soup maker :D

No kids, I'm single. My cat thinks WLS is a good idea though ;) What about you? Do you have kids?

Hello HRR32, can I ask how was the pain straight after the op!

Hi there to be honest it was not as painful as I thought - they put local anaesthetic into the entry sites so I genuinely did not have much pain (the only discomfort I had was in my shoulder and that was due to the air they fill your stomach up with due to the surgery) the best thing I found was to get up and moving around as soon as possible - take pain relief when it is due, don't wait till you are in pain and keep drinking fluids. Also on the morning of the operation I woke up about 30 minutes before I could not have any fluids and I drank about 2 pints of water - this was to try and ensure I was hydrated for the op!

I don't know whether people realise they're being negative or what, but when you're in a positive frame of mind with regards to having surgery, you don't need any debbie downers! I've only told my very small family, 1 friend and 4 people at work. I don't want loads of questions either so I'm really glad I've only told a selective few.

I think it's no bad thing having to wait a bit. Like you say, it's going to be a massive change in lifestyle and all this extra time means more time to prepare! Can't wait to clear my freezer out and replace it with loads of freshly made soup with my new soup maker :D

No kids, I'm single. My cat thinks WLS is a good idea though ;) What about you? Do you have kids?
Hiya yes I have kids, 4 of them! I have only told my 14 year old daughter and she's not fazed by the surgery, she just wants me to be happy as she knows just how I struggle with my weight and this has been since before I had the gastric band, I've always been big! :-( can I ask what soup maker you have brought as I'm looking into getting one of those or the bullet machine :) yeah glad I haven't told people as I've already had negativity from someone today actually about wls with someone else I know who has had it, I'm going to keep quiet until I need to go into hospital for the surgery, negative comment's are what I can do without especially when I'm so happy to be on this journey ;-)

Hi, my journey I think has been a slow but steady one and it has had its frightening bits. I had surgery in October 2014 and when I came home after two days and feeling ok I had a very bad dumping experience which knocked me of my feet for nearly a week, I was just getting over that when I caught a bug from grandchildren and I though I was going to die ( at this point I would like to apologise to those who have heard this before) I was very ill and was presented with an out of hours doc who didn't have a clue how to treat me and I ended up in A&E after 24 hr of not keeping liquid down and bringing up nothing but froth, my head was killing me from dehydration because I couldn't get any fluids in. That took nearly two weeks to get over. The team I'm under are as much use as a chocolate tea pot could offer no help either on the day of sickness or afterwards. My pre op diet was a good one I followed the real good one and lost just over a stone in the four weeks I was on it. Which makes you think I can do this myself but you know deep down It won't happen like that. I'm frightened to try new foods because I dump quite a lot but there is no pattern to the food I eat and what causes it. I know I've said to others you can't be afraid of foods but I already have in my mind the fright factor but I'm getting better and will have a go at new foods. I like hot drinks better than cold and I can nearly drink a large mug of tea. I can eat spicy foods, bread as long as it's nice bread and not cheap and I can eat all meat and fish, so I'm luck there. I've lost just under 3 stone since surgery but over all since I started the journey I've lost 5:7 in total. Yes I still have days of why did I have the surgery, yes I feel very low most of the time and I spend a lot of time worrying about the what ifs. I spent weeks crying for no apparent reason ,but found out later it's all about the hormones I have osteoarthritis and now can't take all my pain killers which is a pain ( sorry) and that has hindered my recovery because it has effected my mobility which was not good in the first place, my one knee is worst than the other and because of damage it will remain like that but the other one has a slight improvement and that had got yo be because of the weight loss. My body shape has changed and although the Wright is slow to come of I have gone down in dress size. I'm only tell you how I have found this journey, I would rather say it without rose tinted glasses on so people know what might happen, it's not to frighten anyone or put them of you have to make up your own mind on that one. Would I have the surgery again no, would I have further surgery eg a sleeve no the only way I would have anything done now was if I was starving to death and they had to do something to save me but that is only my opinion. We are all brave people on here and so are all the people who are thinking of having surgery. :)

Hiya yes I have kids, 4 of them! I have only told my 14 year old daughter and she's not fazed by the surgery, she just wants me to be happy as she knows just how I struggle with my weight and this has been since before I had the gastric band, I've always been big! :-( can I ask what soup maker you have brought as I'm looking into getting one of those or the bullet machine :) yeah glad I haven't told people as I've already had negativity from someone today actually about wls with someone else I know who has had it, I'm going to keep quiet until I need to go into hospital for the surgery, negative comment's are what I can do without especially when I'm so happy to be on this journey ;-)

Hi, sorry for delay! New account!

Oh bless her. I'm sure she'll be a great help to you. I bought the morphy richards one. T*sco seemed to be the cheapest sellers. It's brilliant. You get really smooth soup in 21 minutes or chunky in 28 minutes, and you can blend it a little if it's too chunky.

Yeah boo the the negative people! I've had to tell a couple more people at work now surgery is happening. So far, no negative comments. I know what I'm doing is right for me so if I do get any negative comments, I'm ready to bat them away! :)

Wow a date already, can I ask only if you don't mind do you have any Co mobilities and what is your BMI? Only asking as although we're under the same hospital it seems they do things differently for everyone? Who is your consultant? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still waiting for my appointment letter ;-(

Hi, sorry for delay! New account!

Oh bless her. I'm sure she'll be a great help to you. I bought the morphy richards one. T*sco seemed to be the cheapest sellers. It's brilliant. You get really smooth soup in 21 minutes or chunky in 28 minutes, and you can blend it a little if it's too chunky.

Yeah boo the the negative people! I've had to tell a couple more people at work now surgery is happening. So far, no negative comments. I know what I'm doing is right for me so if I do get any negative comments, I'm ready to bat them away! :)
that sounds great I'm going to have a look at them and maybe buy one soon. I hate waiting for appointments, did you have to chase them up at all regarding any appointments or where they on the ball with that side of things?

Wow a date already, can I ask only if you don't mind do you have any Co mobilities and what is your BMI? Only asking as although we're under the same hospital it seems they do things differently for everyone? Who is your consultant? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still waiting for my appointment letter ;-(

I know, I was so shocked! I'm diabetic, have been for the last 15 months. No other problems really. Not sure on BMI but I think it might be 60. I've lost about 6 stone in the last 15 months but I'm still huuggggee.

Well twice now I've seen Mr Pattar (?) in Mr Rieras clinic but haven't met the man himself. Not been told who my actual surgeon is either way. When I was visibly shocked about being offered a date there was a girl in the room who's had it done and works there who said they've been putting on extra clinics which is speeding things up a bit.

Do you know anything about this Tier 3 thing? It's never been mentioned to me but someone else asked me. I said either they don't have that in our area or I've already done everything they need me to do!

that sounds great I'm going to have a look at them and maybe buy one soon. I hate waiting for appointments, did you have to chase them up at all regarding any appointments or where they on the ball with that side of things?

Yeah I think it's worth it. I'm not really into kitchen gadgets but when I made soup before I used a hand blender and let's just say it was a bit messy :D

Haven't had to chase at all and they seem very organised. I remembered them saying that ideally you'd see the dietician before the consultant but the appointments came a week apart in the wrong order. I rang the appointment line and they kindly swapped it all about and I got them on the same day. Lucky me saving one lot of parking fees!

Why don't you try ringing and see if they can give you an idea?

I know, I was so shocked! I'm diabetic, have been for the last 15 months. No other problems really. Not sure on BMI but I think it might be 60. I've lost about 6 stone in the last 15 months but I'm still huuggggee.

Well twice now I've seen Mr Pattar (?) in Mr Rieras clinic but haven't met the man himself. Not been told who my actual surgeon is either way. When I was visibly shocked about being offered a date there was a girl in the room who's had it done and works there who said they've been putting on extra clinics which is speeding things up a bit.

Do you know anything about this Tier 3 thing? It's never been mentioned to me but someone else asked me. I said either they don't have that in our area or I've already done everything they need me to do!
I bet your over the moon, and totally shocked that the date was offered to you there and then! OMG when/if this happens to me I think I will cry lol, I'm so happy for you :) i'm hoping to get my op in the summer as it will come in handy with the kids being on there hol's from school :) Tier 3 well, i know quiet a bit about this i was looking into as i thought this was what i had to do before i had the option of surgery however I think I have bypassed all this because of my previous history, but I'm not totally sure. The only downside to this journey for me is I am not sure what is going on as they are quite vague with keeping me informed i.e next step/appointments. I think this is the case for many ;-( Fingers crossed, I will have a smooth road to surgery and no real hold ups along the way, I just want the appointment letter to know i have the next appointment in the pipe line, it's the not knowing that is driving me crazy lol. I know someone who has had the surgery and wow she has lost 8-1/2 stone since aug 14, and she has said it's the best decision she has ever made and just wishes she had done it years earlier. I don't want the surgery to be skinny, far from it but to change my life and eating for the better and to be to be healthier and get more involved with my kids instead of sitting on the sideline :-( Still no letter!!

Yeah I think it's worth it. I'm not really into kitchen gadgets but when I made soup before I used a hand blender and let's just say it was a bit messy :D

Haven't had to chase at all and they seem very organised. I remembered them saying that ideally you'd see the dietician before the consultant but the appointments came a week apart in the wrong order. I rang the appointment line and they kindly swapped it all about and I got them on the same day. Lucky me saving one lot of parking fees!

Why don't you try ringing and see if they can give you an idea?
I did try giving them a ring on friday but got no joy and they said they would phone back, i'm still waiting! Oh can i ask how much your soup machine was, I've seen them online for around £40 but not sure which one to go for???

Hello I'm not from Shropshire/Telford so I cannot help in that aspect just wanted to Welcome you to the forum and wish you luck on your journey <3
Many thanks for the welcome, have you had surgery, if so what have you had and how has your journey been so far?

Welcome, I used to live in Telford 2 and a half years ago before I moved to Cornwall my GP there said there was no funding for surgery in Shropshire. When I came to Cornwall my GP referred me and I am now 3 months post op following a gastric by pass and 50 lbs down, don't regret it for a minute. This is a great forum and everyone is so supportive good luck
Hello how lovely to live in Cornwall, I love visiting this wonderful place :) Can i ask how did you find the recovery, was it very painful and how long was you off work etc. Any info would be great.

Just to welcome you to the forum, and good luck with your journey.
Thanks for the welcome, this is a very helpful place to get all sorts of answers, I'm at the beginning of my journey :) I cannot wait to be on the losers bench as you many wonderful people are ;-)

Back