• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help having to force myself to eat :(

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all well i am 7 weeks post op tomorrow and the past week or so i am having to force myself to eat and with that i am having about 500 cals a day.
I had major probs with head hunger and sickness the past 3 weeks and had to inject myself twice a day to try and combat that but it did not really help just left me black and blue :cry:
I starting reducing my mega strong Opiate medication since thursday and since then although am in more pain, which i can cope with and the sickness is so much better it is practically gone and now i am not injecting myself now which is fab :):)
It does not help that i am a really fussy eater and was never good at eating protein pre op and lived off mostly carbs for so many years.
Since post op i cant bear the smell of meat or fish and cant manage any hot food as it makes me gag so all my meals are snacks and cold.
I am quite happy to just have protein shakes and some crackers and cheese but even them i have to make myself eat as if i am out i totally forget and dont eat then when i get home i try and catch up and have a few crackers and cheese.

Is this the norm, dont get me wrong i am happy i am not hungry and finally as my choices the past week are good choice i am not having any cravings which were terrible the past 3 weeks but i am worried that only having 500/550 cals( 300 of that is my protein shake with 200 mls of ss milk which i really like lol ) at 7 weeks might cause me to stall again and that would stress me out big time as i had a mega stall from day 6 for 3.5 weeks.

Sorry for a whinge so early on Monday morning, i never thought i would be happy that i have no hunger and making myself eat but how long can this go on as tbh i dont actually fancy eating anything and i am bit worried bout the size of my portions as i really cant manage more than a small yoghurt and thats a struggle, texture wise i am doing very good, i can eat apples and tomatoes, carrots and stuff like pasta and rice as have been on solids for 3 weeks now.

All advice and tips would be much appreciated thanks xxx

Last edited:
I have no idea why but our bodies and tastes do change!

I used to be a massive meat eater. Give me a plate of meat and I'd be happy! Now, can hardly touch it! Same as sea-food. Used to eat it by the trawler vessel full, now, i can hardly eat any!

I'm 10 months on and sometimes need to force myself to eat. I find it better to have little nibbles on these days. But nothing bad. I do like nibbling on cheese or fruit.

Last night, my treat was to share a fish and chips with my fiancé. Had a tiny bit of fish and I just couldn't even face it. Left it and had a yoghurt instead! I was full!

Like I said, I'm 10 months post op.

I have no idea why but our bodies and tastes do change!

I used to be a massive meat eater. Give me a plate of meat and I'd be happy! Now, can hardly touch it! Same as sea-food. Used to eat it by the trawler vessel full, now, i can hardly eat any!

I'm 10 months on and sometimes need to force myself to eat. I find it better to have little nibbles on these days. But nothing bad. I do like nibbling on cheese or fruit.

Last night, my treat was to share a fish and chips with my fiancé. Had a tiny bit of fish and I just couldn't even face it. Left it and had a yoghurt instead! I was full!

Like I said, I'm 10 months post op.

Thanks MM i never could eat large portions but would very easily munch all day on carb laden cr@p which i cant and wont do now thankfully.
Is it ok for me to just have 500 cals a day or even just have 2 protein shakes instead of food if i dont want to eat as i really like my shakes and could happily have them instead of food twice a day for the mo.
Congrats again on such a mega achievement wat a fab birthday present for u and ur fam and happy birthday xxx

Ps :) can u tell me what u were eating at my stage or was that 2 long ago for u 2 remember :) xx

7 weeks post op I'd just started back at work. And I mean just. First day at work was 7 weeks after my op.

I was hardly eating anything still. I'd have 1/2 banana for breakfast, something like a little bit of cottage cheese or tuna for lunch and then a cod in parsley sauce and small jacket potato for dinner. And I wouldn't eat all that.

You're having the protein, which is good, although it's not to be used as a food supplement. You aren't eating a lot but you're relatively close to your operation. I wouldn't be too worried just yet. Try and keep the fluids up and try and slowly increase your range of foods xx

Roch I have asked you this before but can you tell me exactly which protein shake you are having as the link for the website that you sent last time completely baffled me, there were so many different sorts!! Sorry to be a pain hun. xx

7 weeks post op I'd just started back at work. And I mean just. First day at work was 7 weeks after my op.

I was hardly eating anything still. I'd have 1/2 banana for breakfast, something like a little bit of cottage cheese or tuna for lunch and then a cod in parsley sauce and small jacket potato for dinner. And I wouldn't eat all that.

You're having the protein, which is good, although it's not to be used as a food supplement. You aren't eating a lot but you're relatively close to your operation. I wouldn't be too worried just yet. Try and keep the fluids up and try and slowly increase your range of foods xx

Thats my prob as i cant physically eat more then 2/3 tsp of food i find it hard to get the protein in from any source apart from the shakes so i stick to the shakes.
I think i will email the dietician and have a chat with her as i know i should not compare but i was told by the nurse that i should be eating the equivalent of at least 1/2 cup of food at 5/6 weeks and even at 7 weeks cant do that and i know by reading the menus here on the site and chatting to friends that others are managing a lot more than me and i worry this will cause me to stall again.
Thanks again and take care birthday boy xx

Roch I have asked you this before but can you tell me exactly which protein shake you are having as the link for the website that you sent last time completely baffled me, there were so many different sorts!! Sorry to be a pain hun. xx

Ur not a pain its called total protein xs and i have the choc mint one and i luv it, how sad am i lol i even prefer it to food xx

hi roch I was the same as you at that stage I was full after half a yogurt. I used to manage a spoon of beans and a spoon of scrambled egg sometimes and that is protein rich.
Hope this helps a little hun xxx

Thanks hun am pleased to hear that this is the norm as was getting worried, as when i was emotionally eating a few weeks ago i could eat more rubbish stuff but now i am trying to eat healthy stuff can barely eat lol.
So how`s u hun looking forward to seeing ya on the 7th xxx

Hi Roch,
We had our bypass on the same day and I to am struggling to eat. Calorie intake is probably the same as yours or maybe even less.
I think I may of stalled as well as havn't lost any weight for 5 days. But I have decided not to get on those bxxxxxxx scales for a few days. Food wise 2 tbs leaves me full. I cant face red meat. Fish and chicken make me turn my nosee up. So I'm living on cottage cheese and weetabix or bite sized shredded wheat. Thankfully I see my dietician and consultant this week so hopefully I will get some help and advice.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't think that having 2 shakes is any problem Roch they won't do you any harm I still have at least 2 every day because like you I like them and they get the protein in. Don't rely on them long term you ned food too of course but short term should be fine

M

Hi Roch,
We had our bypass on the same day and I to am struggling to eat. Calorie intake is probably the same as yours or maybe even less.
I think I may of stalled as well as havn't lost any weight for 5 days. But I have decided not to get on those bxxxxxxx scales for a few days. Food wise 2 tbs leaves me full. I cant face red meat. Fish and chicken make me turn my nosee up. So I'm living on cottage cheese and weetabix or bite sized shredded wheat. Thankfully I see my dietician and consultant this week so hopefully I will get some help and advice.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

I stalled for 3.5 weeks from day 6 so i know how it does ur head in, have u lost all ur weight since ur op xx

Don't think that having 2 shakes is any problem Roch they won't do you any harm I still have at least 2 every day because like you I like them and they get the protein in. Don't rely on them long term you ned food too of course but short term should be fine

M

Hi m am hoping in time to just use them to up my protein but at the mo i dont want to eat and enjoy them so i think i might be depending on them a bit 2 much xx

Back