• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long did you stay in hospital for?

Im amazed at all the people who's pain level was only 2 or 3. Mine was about 7! There's no way I could have gone home the day after surgery. I could barely get out of bed. Perhaps Im a wimp.

WOW your new pic looks amazing! So much difference.

to be honest I'm expecting lots of pain, so if its little of course I'll be over the moon.

There is not 1 identical WLS story. :)

Perhaps Im a wimp.

Don't put yourself down! The point I've made elsewhere is that everyone is different so recovery times are going to differ from person to person.

Some people's surgery is more difficult than others but the real differentiator is how people respond to anaesthetic – some people can be up and about a few hours later others it really hits for six.

Anyone that’s due to have the surgery: don’t let the hospital bully you into a discharge. If you feel bloody awful and unable to function, tell them that. Don’t suffer in silence.

One thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of people who have WLS on the NHS tend not to blessed by having a great choice of hospitals. My mother in law, for example, will need to drive three hours to get to where she has her appointments. It’s a two hour drive for me, which is really annoying being that the hospital about three miles from my house performs WLS and there’s another one about fifteen miles away but they’re not on the preferred supplier list.

If I felt awful, I’d much rather annoy the nursing staff by insisting on staying another night then risk having complications later that day a minimum of two hours drive away. There’s a recurring theme of “bring a pillow because you’ll feel every bump” and that’s with a sensibly timed discharge. I couldn’t imagine how it would feel being in agony and having to drive two hours just to get to the front door of the hospital.

Regards, Ade.

I was booked in for 3 nights but was told I could go home the next day. Unfortunately had no transport to get home as had arranged everything around being for 3 nights :rolleyes:

The only real pain I had was from the wind. Didn't have any morphine, just dihydracodeine & paracetamol for the first couple of days.

Sam i put my own experience down to the fact that i'm pigheaded and stubborn, nothing to do with wimpyness...

Jackie, ring Ward 11 on the day you should go in (i rang at 8) and ask them if there will be a bed, you may find they will tell you they'll ring you back later in the day when they've done a bed count.... At least you know for definite there's a bed there for you then xx

Stop looking at the calendar and we all get obsessed with food when we know our habits are changing for life :)

You are so gonna rock, am looking forward to finally meeting you for coffee at the weekend xxx

Back